ATRAC question for GX 470 compared to other models (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Because ABS freaks out on loose dirt. With the 80 Series you install a CDL switch from an unused plug hidden in the dash and once you hit it it locks the center and disables the ABS.
On the GX it lights up the Center lock and VSC lights on your gauges activating both.

Ah. I see. that makes sense now. But I would just turn on my lockers if that happens.

Because ABS freaks out on loose dirt. With the 80 Series you install a CDL switch from an unused plug hidden in the dash and once you hit it it locks the center and disables the ABS.
On the GX it lights up the Center lock and VSC lights on your gauges activating both.

Wait. On second thoughts. I don't quite understand. I think you are saying ATRAC freaks out on loose dirt. ATRAC uses ABS sensors but ABS while braking is something different, isn't it? It does seem like you don't ever want to turn off ABS.

I am talking more High speed desert wash driving where lockers are not an option. But surprisingly even at 20mph and coming around a corner and finding an on coming motorcycle and you will not stop as fast as either of you want to with ABS brakes.

I am talking more High speed desert wash driving where lockers are not an option. But surprisingly even at 20mph and coming around a corner and finding an on coming motorcycle and you will not stop as fast as either of you want to with ABS brakes.

Why couldn't you run a locked center (i.e. 4x4) in the desert?

I do run with the center locked the second I hit the dirt I thought you were talking a rear or front locker.

I know this is under the ATRAC thread but I am talking ABS delete because it was brought up in this thread.

I already had a thread once on ABS delete and it never came up with a solution so I was surprised to see it come up like no big deal.

ABS delete also shuts off ATRAC. They are one and the same. You can unplug or wire a switch to the ABS controller wires to interrupt the ABS controller, but again, you kill ATRAC too. I have NEVER had an issue with ABS or VSC offroad at higher speeds so it is odd to be such a problem?

I find this truck hard to drive fast on dirt/forest roads, because the ABS or traction control is always wanting to kick in when trying to slide through corners. Also always driving in the mountains, the ABS system lightly uses the rear brakes, causing them to wear faster. My Jeep JKUR would let me push a button to turn this off, just like my car. Maybe Lexus believes it’s drivers are don’t know how to handle a car/truck/suv or maybe it because it full time 4 wheel drive, either way it sucks.

I think my suspension allows me to push it. I never lose contact and stay really stable in the turns. VSC turns on in high roll turns base on yaw and wheel spin, so if you minimize those it doesn't really kick in at all.

So Dan, you can slide the rear of yourGX and drift it around corners?

I can, but why would I want to? It's a heavy overlanding and wheeling rig, not a race truck. It won't really lose traction and just drives normal around most corners. To drift I would have to be going 50+ mph, which seems dumb to me offroad.

Not a GX owner, but I have an FJC and I'm very familiar with the workings of ATrac (and have coached many late model Toyota owners). I'll chime in on why you would want to disable ATrac argument.

I was leading a trail ride with a 4th Gen 4Runner with automatic ATrac on board. They came around a downhill left hander and the driver side of the embankment caught them off guard. The driver front tire climbed the bank, the passenger front dipped into the rutted trail and now they were teetering on front driver/rear passenger wheels. The driver rear tire was 4-5 feet off the ground. A quick reflex would have been to go hard passenger and GAS it, but they were not accustomed to this maneuver and panic stopped. At this point the vehicle is not moving and somewhat precariously perched.

My instructions to the driver were to hold tight the wheel at driver (where it was currently) and reverse slowly. The plan was to just level out enough to drive out of it. The problem was that ATrac wouldn't let it reverse at all - it was simply letting the vehicle continue to roll forward. In the end, I had the driver carefully turn the wheels passenger and GAS it down the hill. It worked, but it was dismaying to see that ATrac couldn't be over-ridden. Lockers would have saved the day here too.

I like having a switched ATrac so that I can manage expectations of what my wheels are going to do. When I need it, I turn it on, just like lockers.

I support this more than "I want to drift" :lol:

Not a GX owner, but I have an FJC and I'm very familiar with the workings of ATrac (and have coached many late model Toyota owners). I'll chime in on why you would want to disable ATrac argument.

I was leading a trail ride with a 4th Gen 4Runner with automatic ATrac on board. They came around a downhill left hander and the driver side of the embankment caught them off guard. The driver front tire climbed the bank, the passenger front dipped into the rutted trail and now they were teetering on front driver/rear passenger wheels. The driver rear tire was 4-5 feet off the ground. A quick reflex would have been to go hard passenger and GAS it, but they were not accustomed to this maneuver and panic stopped. At this point the vehicle is not moving and somewhat precariously perched.

My instructions to the driver were to hold tight the wheel at driver (where it was currently) and reverse slowly. The plan was to just level out enough to drive out of it. The problem was that ATrac wouldn't let it reverse at all - it was simply letting the vehicle continue to roll forward. In the end, I had the driver carefully turn the wheels passenger and GAS it down the hill. It worked, but it was dismaying to see that ATrac couldn't be over-ridden. Lockers would have saved the day here too.

I like having a switched ATrac so that I can manage expectations of what my wheels are going to do. When I need it, I turn it on, just like lockers.

The only way to disable ATRAC on the GX is to disable ABS that I know of. There was no button ever, so the harness doesn't have it.

Are you saying that ATRAC effectively disables reverse? Interesting.

Never had a reason to drift on a trail (like Dan) and I have a different car for those maneuvers (off trail). :D;):D

So Dan, you can slide the rear of yourGX and drift it around corners?

If your wheels are up (3 wheel stand, etc) ATRAC won't allow you to roll back gently...it will buck and cause a bunch of ruckus!

You guys don’t seem to be following me. I am not talking Control at high speeds, cornering, loose traction. I am purely talking stopping for an emergency due to traffic or something in the trail and you slam on the brakes.

Dan, you did not find the stopping on dirt in your 80 Series Acacodo assuming you had the CDL activated which in turn de-activated the ABS was far better stopping then the GX?

I don’t want to turn off ATRAC and drift just turn off ABS to lock things up and stop. Does anyone know what the systems do on the 4Runners and FJ’s? Since it sounds like they only have an ATRAC button and not a Center Lock button.

Last edited:
When FJCs go 4HI, I believe it disables VSC, but not ABS. I haven't tried to engage ABS action when offroad, if you catch my drift (no pun intended). When they go 4LO, I believe it disables ABS in addition to VSC.

I have never had a problem stopping in any situation, or in any range. *shrug*

I can, but why would I want to? It's a heavy overlanding and wheeling rig, not a race truck. It won't really lose traction and just drives normal around most corners. To drift I would have to be going 50+ mph, which seems dumb to me offroad.

It is a heavy overlanding rig to me also, but there are times that even that can be fun in at speed, causes new challenges. There are times going around corners, at I what I would call an easy speed, a lot less than 50, the traction system kicks in and I think cause more problems than it helps. There are times I like it, but not always, I would prefer to pick when I want it off.

I came to this after being out with some Range Rover & Jeep guys, we where trying to make up some time and my traction system kept kicking in, really did think we where going fast.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom