Hdj81 alternator going out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve noticed some voltage needle fluctuation when my blinkers are on and when I lower my windows. I’ve figured my alternator is slowly going out, it looks to be original. Where is a good place to shop for for one, my LC is a 1991 model. I plan on checking the plug as some have suggested but figure it couldn’t hurt to replace due to age. Thanks in advance for any suggestions, I’m located in the aunties States by the way..

Also I read on here somewhere, that a Toyota Tercel alternator would also work, if someone could elaborate on that, that would be awesome!

Along those same lines, when I start my rig and it's idling at low RPM the shift lock solenoid on the gear selector (auto trans) won't open and allow me to shift into reverse. If I run up the RPMs for a sec or two and then depress the brake it'll often let me shift without pushing the little red release button. I figured I might want to check my alternator too.

I’m located in the aunties States by the way..

LOL! What!?!? Autocorrect?

Also I read on here somewhere, that a Toyota Tercel alternator would also work, if someone could elaborate on that, that would be awesome!

I don't have the part number, but yes. I believe since your truck is an earlier model you'll need the one with the round plug rather than oval. There's some info in this thread that will probably help you:

Help with HDJ81 alternator diagnosis

I believe since your truck is an earlier model you'll need the one with the round plug rather than oval.

You can buy these plug adapters for $18AUD ,but a lot of the aftermarket alternators supply them with a new alternator. You can get 140 and 170 amp now.

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
You can buy these plug adapters for $18AUD ,but a lot of the aftermarket alternators supply them with a new alternator. You can get 140 and 170 watt outputs now.

s-l500.jpg

That's good to know! So what's the best bang for the buck alternator upgrade for these things?

I'm getting a bouncy tach needle when the turn signal is on, if the truck is cold and the glow plugs are on. The power windows also really struggle when it gets cold and the glow plugs are drawing, which happens all the time leaving my parkade at work in the winter. I figure it's either a weak ground connection, or the alternator is on its way.

That's good to know! So what's the best bang for the buck alternator upgrade for these things?

I would probably go for this one, 110 amp, made by Bosch with a 5 year warranty. Its a pain returning things to Australia for warranty but 5 years in itself is admirable. They sell the adapter separately. Of course you would have shipping. Maybe see what Beno can do.
New Bosch Alternator for Toyota Landcruiser 4.2L Diesel 1HD-FTV 1HD-T 1HD-FE | eBay

But if you think its a weak earth or connection I would investigate that further.

I would probably go for this one, 110 amp, made by Bosch with a 5 year warranty. Its a pain returning things to Australia for warranty but 5 years in itself is admirable. They sell the adapter separately. Of course you would have shipping. Maybe see what Beno can do.
New Bosch Alternator for Toyota Landcruiser 4.2L Diesel 1HD-FTV 1HD-T 1HD-FE | eBay

But if you think its a weak earth or connection I would investigate that further.

I'll vouche for the above link. I ordered my 12v Bosch starter from Auto8 a year or 2 ago. Price was decent and shipping was fast.

I believe the alternator from the MKIV Supra will fit. From memory, for an auto trans is 110 amp and manual is 90 amp. Of course as soon as you put "Supra" on the parts description you get Supra tax on it. There must be another vehicle from that era that used the same one as well. Could do a reverse look up on the part number...

I'm not usre anyone is still making the sequoia alternator upgrade? Ive added them to both of my 1hdts with mixed results. On my troopy it has been rock solid. The 81 has been a bit mroe of a pain but I think its more related to many other battery and cable issues. They come in 130 and 150 amp versions. Need a custom pulley that someone used to make. And you need to mod a new bracket for tensioner.

I believe the alternator from the MKIV Supra will fit. From memory, for an auto trans is 110 amp and manual is 90 amp. Of course as soon as you put "Supra" on the parts description you get Supra tax on it. There must be another vehicle from that era that used the same one as well. Could do a reverse look up on the part number...

Didn't you use a Tercel alternator on yours a while back?

I've gone through a couple cheap tercel alts, currently the one I have on now has a tested peak of 110a (probably at 6k rpm)
For going through muddy water etc the have done well.
Don't forget that these trucks have 2 batteries in parallel (in all but start phase) so the amount of reserve amps is pretty good.

To the OP, even with new window runners with silicone lube these windows are sloooow in the cold

Also to check in your alt, remove back cage and make sure all screws on the regulator are tight, this can cause fluctuating voltages

I'm not usre anyone is still making the sequoia alternator upgrade? Ive added them to both of my 1hdts with mixed results. On my troopy it has been rock solid. The 81 has been a bit mroe of a pain but I think its more related to many other battery and cable issues. They come in 130 and 150 amp versions. Need a custom pulley that someone used to make. And you need to mod a new bracket for tensioner.

I have a Tundra 150 amp alt in my HDJ80 ( Marilu ) working wonders since 2014 or so .. last year I use one small pulley from Bill ( photoman ) and very happy with it ..

here is .. ( please ignore the cone filter, was a temp measure on a 40 series with 1HD-T that I use at that moment .. thanks @joekatana )

20170303154923-584d77f0-me.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom