How to undo this safety nut? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

How do I undo this Toyota specific safety/security nut without damaging everything? I tried with a flat head screw driver acting as a chisel but it wont really budge.

30935839xq.jpg

Lucas

Don't sweat it there are no threads where the tab is just unscrew it and get on with life

Where is that located?

Yup. I just use an impact like everyone else does and replace the nut with new.

There is a special tool for it. That is the same type of nut as used on FWD sedans. If you don't relieve the staked part you risk stripping a bunch of threads and boogerings up really good.

There is a special tool for it. That is the same type of nut as used on FWD sedans. If you don't relieve the staked part you risk stripping a bunch of threads and boogerings up really good.

"Risk" but has it every really happened? Have done hundreds without issue. Made the SST punch, then started grinding the punched part out with a carbide burr, now just zip them off with the impact, much quicker and often the nut can be reused.

Ok. Yep. Go with what Tools says. I've only stripped out 3 of them. He has better experience than me.

In the 95 years that I've been turning wrenches on millions of cars, I've never damaged the threads by just zipping it off. Any damage or fouling that may occur is quickly fixed by the threads of the nut as they pass over the affected area.

*This post contains flagrant lies, but it's up to the end user to determine what parts are factual.

"Risk" but has it every really happened? Have done hundreds without issue. Made the SST punch, then started grinding the punched part out with a carbide burr, now just zip them off with the impact, much quicker and often the nut can be reused.

Dude, reusing that nut after bashing on it is so hill billy man. Cmon.

Hillbilly don't mean it won't work.

We Chevy guys have been doing it like that for ages. :hillbilly:

Maybe, or sometimes it's better than walking. If you haven't removed one with an impact, they often come off very clean, the punched part reformed. Know of a bunch of diffs the have reused pinion nuts, zero failures, maybe hillbilly, but also effective.

Its located on the upper front suspension arm on a Toyota Hiace LH50 from 1983. The type of front suspension using torsion bars and not springs. I posted here in the 80s forum because its the most active subforum with most knowledge being shared.

Lucas

Hey there is only free advice for 80 owners we need to be compensated :meh:

Like most of you adviced, I tried with a standard workshop pneumatic impact gun. Absolutely nothing happened!!!!

Then I tried to slowly chip away the identation with a cold chisel that I previously sharpened. Like a dentist I fully removed small bits until I had a clear opening. NO chance of "just" lifting the indentation up. Now, with a standard wrench, a 2 foot long pipe for extension, I was able to slowly undo the nut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom