Anyone made an FJ40 AWD? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Is there a way to run an AWD setup in an FJ40 with low range?

If not what is the best NEW 5 speed setup?

Can you still buy a new Split case Transfer Case?

Not sure what AWD and five have to do with each other? I think of AWD as something for a car. Doesn't have a low range or able lock the transfer case. Toyota produced a few full time 4WD prototypes in 75 that were 76 models with disc brakes. The A440F changed from the FJ62 to the FJ80. The transfer case from a FJ62 could be used on a five speed but the one from FJ80 here would not. If you had a special adapter you would have a five speed and full time 4WD. Length would be a issue in a SWB FJ40.

Well Land Rover uses AWD and the Defender and Discoverys came with manual trans. They also have low range. Can the awd trans from the 95ish FJ80 be mated to the H55F? Or maybe I am just over thinking it. If I just had the Toyota part numbers for the H55f and split tcase I would just order them new from Toyota.

Thanks
Joe

The trans doesn’t have anything to do with AWD. It’s the transfer case that does that.

OMG, thanks for the lesson

Has anyone taken an FJ80 transfer case and mated it to a H55f?

Joe

Last edited:
OMG, thanks for the lesson

Has anyone taken an FJ80 transfer case and mated it to a H55f?

Joe
You can get a 5 speed fj80 transmission and bolt it to a fj80 awd tcase. Land cruiser heaven sells the 5 speed transmissions used, not sure about new and can ship from South America. The 5 speed Trans is only available in other countries.

I don't need to read up on what 4wd and awd is. I know what the difference is. I am putting a tundra 5.7 and trd supercharger on it with an AEM stand alone. I don't want to just thrash the rear end in rwd mode of a stock FJ40. I want to put all 500hp down to all 4 wheels. I feel like Jim understands what I am saying. I have already looked at the FJcrusier 6speed setup and I think it's too long for the 40. I was leaning toward H55j to FJ80 transfer case. Just wanted to see if anyone has done it. I have priced out FJ80 trans and tcase and used they are almost the same price as NEW H55 and New Tcase money.

Can the awd trans from the 95ish FJ80 be mated to the H55F? Or maybe I am just over thinking it. If I just had the Toyota part numbers for the H55f and split tcase I would just order them new from Toyota.

Thanks
Joe

Forgive me but this first sentence kind of led me to believe you didn’t understand the concept. You mention mating two transmissions together? As cimmaron said the difference is all in the cases. H55s as well as the split cases are both available new here stateside.
33030-60450 trans
36110-6E181 tcase
Order away.
Split cases however are 4wd/2wd and not AWD so not sure how that helps you.

I don't need to read up on what 4wd and awd is. I know what the difference is. I am putting a tundra 5.7 and trd supercharger on it with an AEM stand alone. I don't want to just thrash the rear end in rwd mode of a stock FJ40. I want to put all 500hp down to all 4 wheels. I feel like Jim understands what I am saying. I have already looked at the FJcrusier 6speed setup and I think it's too long for the 40. I was leaning toward H55j to FJ80 transfer case. Just wanted to see if anyone has done it. I have priced out FJ80 trans and tcase and used they are almost the same price as NEW H55 and New Tcase money.

I don’t think any of those transmissions or tcases are going to hold up your 500hp too long. With that kind of power you better invest in a carbon or dual disc clutch too. Is this some sort of drag racing setup your putting together? Would love to see it.

To make a FJ40 AWD, lock the hubs and don't unlock them.

The question of mating an FJ80 xfer case onto an H55 is a different question.

Wow, that is very pretty

I want to put all 500hp down to all 4 wheels.

On a short, tall vehicle like an FJ40, that just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Well everyone has an opinion and I'm not looking for acceptance. The Defender 90 is a v8 short wheel base it's manual trans and awd or full time 4wd. Maybe I should even post up here. Jeeze

Joe

Last edited:
The Defender 90 is a v8 short wheel base it's manual trans and awd or full time 4wd.

Last I checked, the Defender 90’s V8 is about 180hp.

Hey guys,

Is there a way to run an AWD setup in an FJ40 with low range?

My 40 was awd for about 10 minutes when I put a 100 series transfer case in it. Knowing I wanted better MPGs, better driveability, and less wear and tear, I installed a part time spool in it.

You keep mentioning an H55/split case combo. You also keep saying you know the difference between 4WD and AWD. The split case is not capable of AWD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom