Oil leak or Power steering pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RFB

97 FZJ80 LIFTED SC DUAL BATTERIES,37s
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
I pulled my rock plate and have this one leak took some pics that will hopefully look familair to some of you . is this my power steering pump leaking or the oring on front of engine? Its got cold here in north east and this truck has never seen the cold. on start up the PS whines till shes running warm.. and Im not getting any noticable drops in oil or PS fluid, but I want to fix it as its the only leak she has. any help? or do you need more info.
heres the pics
DSCN3807.JPG

DSCN3808.JPG

DSCN3809.JPG

DSCN3810.JPG

Typical appearance of an oil pump O-ring/gasket leak. Wash off the area and reassess to confirm.

Typical appearance of an oil pump O-ring/gasket leak. Wash off the area and reassess to confirm.
Ive power washed it twice and it comes back everytime. I washed it 4 days ago and a week before that I painted the rock guard red so if it did leak it would show.

If you put the UV dye in the oil and check it in a day or so, might help you eliminated it. Pretty sure the UV dye is safe for PS pumps also. My distributor was leaking from inside, and the o-ring as well as the crank seal and oil pump gasket. I tried to UV die only to find my entire engine bay was glowing under the UV light.

If you have not done the distributor o-ring, oil pump gasket and crank pulley seal I would start with those then tackle the power steering, then the oil Pan's. These rigs are getting old and leaky.

Look at the power steering pump, it leaks from the back and from low pressure port which has a tiny o ring behind the hard pipe mount. The hoses tend to leak also, high pressure line can be replaced with the Napa hose from gates if you want to save money, the low pressure lines can be gates also. To do the crank seal and oil pressure seal call or text me and I'll walk ya through it. If it is indeed the pump it's bout 300 or little more from yota and is held by two bolts, you'll have to swap the gear. There is rebuild kit but I've never rebuilt one, for my time I just bought new pump from yota

If you have not done the distributor o-ring, oil pump gasket and crank pulley seal I would start with those then tackle the power steering, then the oil Pan's. These rigs are getting old and leaky.
distrubotr isnt leaking at all its under near and on PS pump and under engine im going to pull battery and everything out of the way and go all texas know how on it.

That looks like oil to me, and identical to what mine looked like when my oil pump cover o-ring seal started to go...

Reactions: RFB
That looks like oil to me, and identical to what mine looked like when my oil pump cover o-ring seal started to go...
Yea I just picked up a 3/4 in breaker bar sockets and a large 3/4torque wrench that only goes to 300ft lbs

Look at the power steering pump, it leaks from the back and from low pressure port which has a tiny o ring behind the hard pipe mount. The hoses tend to leak also, high pressure line can be replaced with the Napa hose from gates if you want to save money, the low pressure lines can be gates also. To do the crank seal and oil pressure seal call or text me and I'll walk ya through it. If it is indeed the pump it's bout 300 or little more from yota and is held by two bolts, you'll have to swap the gear. There is rebuild kit but I've never rebuilt one, for my time I just bought new pump from yota
I just replaced hi with OEM and im pulling it all aprt tomorrow to see whats what exactly but Im ready for both probabilites

Im going to do the mall same time, I have most of the OEM o rings etc.

X2 on the black light dye to eliminate having to use the parts cannon... unless you like wasting time and money. Hey, I don't judge... some guys get off on weird s*** so maybe that's your thing. I mean, there's dudes out there that dress up in squirrel costumes and dry hump other dudes dressed up in fox costumes, so whatever floats your goats, man.

And yes, the dye is safe for use in power steering.

X2 on the black light dye to eliminate having to use the parts cannon... unless you like wasting time and money. Hey, I don't judge... some guys get off on weird s*** so maybe that's your thing. I mean, there's dudes out there that dress up in squirrel costumes and dry hump other dudes dressed up in fox costumes, so whatever floats your goats, man.

And yes, the dye is safe for use in power steering.
Hey theres nothing wrong with my fox suit only prob is the zippers always down, But what type of die and where does one secure it, and how much do I add to the mix? I recently replaced hi pressure line and though all was well. but this leak comes right back after hi pressure washing which Ive done 4 times in 3 weeks.

I think it is because its on both sides of engine it appears its time, the top end in NEW and I already have dizzy o ring and water pump oring gasket so..

If you put the UV dye in the oil and check it in a day or so, might help you eliminated it. Pretty sure the UV dye is safe for PS pumps also. My distributor was leaking from inside, and the o-ring as well as the crank seal and oil pump gasket. I tried to UV die only to find my entire engine bay was glowing under the UV light.
LOL, where do I get the die?? and what type

Any auto parts store. Just ask for a black light dye kit. It'll have the dye, special safety glasses so the black light doesn't mess with your eyes, and a special black light flash light. But you might want to take your fox suit off when you fire up that flash light lest the trail of shame and splatter from years of yiffing be seen.

lest the trail of shame and splatter from years of yiffing be seen.
Classic!

UV block amber colored safety glasses work (or if you happen to have Gunnar computer glasses) will make the dye much brighter under the UV light. Mine appeared as a really odd color green. If you can wait until evening or pull in to a darker place that will help you identify the dye. The kits have it all, I already had a UV light and glasses, so the die was all I needed. My taco engine was spotless and I kept smelling burnt oil but couldn't find where it was dripping as it would burn off the exhaust. The die didn't burn off and that is how I identified the valve cover dripping by the firewall.

Try to wash up as much as you can after you identify and fix the problem so that you don't have the dye confusing you in future searches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom