Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

20171026_171952.jpg
The oem horn doesn't do it for me, had leftovers from a ford ranger.

Looks good. Let me know how the doors close.

Answer....not well. I was able
IMG_20171029_141519318.jpg
IMG_20171029_141453191.jpg
to adjust the door catch to get them to close but the back side of the doors stick out 1/2 an inch. I'm pretty sure I have the door catches all the way to the inside so don't know what else to do. I'm fairly certain they closed flush with the body pre- new weather stripping.

I was asking because I had the same trouble with some weather striping I found at JC Whitney. The shape was correct to fit the door but it seems to be too thick for the doors to close properly.

I think I have some oem weatherstripping on the shelf. I'm gonna check to see if the aftermarket material is thicker/denser. I'm saving the OEM stuff for when I (hopefully) do a frame off.

Thanks

I would think cutting out the back of the cross member would be a bad idea, as you will weaken a critical piece of the assembly. Can you drill through and put a longer bolt through?

x2....do not cut into the rear cross member. If you have to through drill it like Stump suggests, use a thick (at least 3/16") backing plate to spread the load so you don't deform it from the backside when tightening it down.

I waited for the last day of the month to get an inspection and failed for an exhaust leak in the muffler. Local shops wanted $750 for a cat back installed...I elected to do it myself. 1 hr wait and $300 later at Napa I received my two piece cat back.
IMG_20171031_122054.jpg

Yup, sometimes I get to actually use the roof rack.

Of course, with every exhaust project the bolts we're seized and rounded. Rather than removing all my skid plates, which would have allowed me much easier access to said boots with a grinder, I made about 30 angle grinder cuts to section out clearance of the bad exhaust. I attempted to cold chisel the bolt head off and the exhaust tube first, but using the grinder and shooting sparks at my face for an hour was the final method.
Parts dude forgot to get me an O2 sensor gasket, so I had to chase one down a couple minutes before inspection closed. 1 day fix, oh yeah.

On a side note, my 1st Gen brakes no longer work as intended. While waiting for the exhaust to be delivered to NAPA I figured that I'd test out some backup plans. Had to jump the battery first, drive it to the grocery store...like an idiot turned off the engine. Didn't bring my jumper cables and walked home. Drove my rejected stickered 4runner to go jump the red 1st Gen. Got to the last street to my house and the brakes failed going 25mi down hill with a short stop. Yelled some flavored language, downshifted and powerslid into a turn around. So...head gasket and brake projects for that one.

Then rode a bike to pick up the 3rd gen at the store. Stuffed the bike in the back and tossed the exhaust on the roof rack.

I swore a lot yesterday.

Sounds like you caught the hard luck bug from Chris. His wheeling trips sound a lot like that.

I was tired of wet floor boards after heavy rains so I dropped my head liner tonight to snake the rear sun roof drains. I think I got this one licked but for good measure I'm going to run some boiling water down them to flush any build up out.

IMG_20171109_215326330_HDR.jpg

Installed a new factory antenna on Rhea's 80--a job that I do not recommend. Holy Christmas, what a pain. But it goes up and down now.
I need to do the same thing on my truck. Any words of wisdom on how to proceed?

Installed a new factory antenna on Rhea's 80--a job that I do not recommend. Holy Christmas, what a pain. But it goes up and down now.

Yeah I did that on my black 80 and swore I'd never do it again.

I need to do the same thing on my truck. Any words of wisdom on how to proceed?

Find someone with small hands to help you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom