Advice on Purchasing 1999 Land Cruiser with 236,000 miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all! This is my first time posting on the forum, so much great info here. I'm sure you can tell I am completely new to the world of Land Cruisers. I have always dreamed of purchasing an ultra rugged SUV/Van and taking a cross country road trip living in the car. Seems like an opportunity to do just that has appeared. A 1999 LC with 236,000 miles has popped up for sale for $3,500 and I wondering what you all think.
Exterior:
The exterior of the vehicle is in okay shape, some scratches, small dents, and blemishes. Most importantly there is no rust. I would rate it a 6/10​
Interior:
There is a fair bit of wear, as the front seat is completely torn, the wood trim in the center console is very faded, the rest of the interior is dirty but it's nothing a good detail can't fix
The AC blows ice cold in all three rows, the radio works, the powered seats works.
However the moon roof does not slide back, though it does tilt.
I would rate the interior as a 6/10​
Mechanical:
The truck runs like an absolute dream, I can't believe how smooth that V8 is even with almost a quarter of a million miles. It pooped into gears with ease and shifted smoothly. The only mechanical issue that I could find is that the the rear locking diff does not seem to be working. When engaging it there is only a red flashing light.
The only other issue is that there are no maintenance records for the truck, I have no idea what kind of history it's had
Over all I would rate the mechanical as am 8/10
I think it's a great buy for $3,500 but I'm curious to hear what some of you guys think.

First.....don't poop into any gears, I can't imagine that's good for them ;)

You're going to want to check with Toyota via the VIN to see if they have anything
resembling a timing belt/waterpump replacement...and it's the first thing you're going
to want to do if not (and you buy it).

Other problem spots are coil packs, front CV's, Front differential (99 has the two pinion)

I'm sure there are other things to look for with this vintage, others will chime in.

Oh, and welcome!

First.....don't poop into any gears, I can't imagine that's good for them ;)

You're going to want to check with Toyota via the VIN to see if they have anything
resembling a timing belt/waterpump replacement...and it's the first thing you're going
to want to do if not (and you buy it).

Other problem spots are coil packs, front CV's, Front differential (99 has the two pinion)

I'm sure there are other things to look for with this vintage, others will chime in.

Oh, and welcome!

Haha thanks a lot! So ultimately, do you think it’s worth picking up for $3,500?

That price is actually, suspiciously low. I'd be rechecking for significant rust somewhere
or some other high dollar item in questionable condition at that price.

236K is not a ton of miles for a 99 100 series Land Cruiser. It's not low, but it isn't about
to turn over 300K either.

Here are some photos of the underneath of the truck.

7E02BB5A-CD4B-4817-936F-2B4E5E038F4D.jpeg

364F638D-8F33-4701-B58B-FC75F017FFA8.jpeg

ED8F1EEE-7DBF-4BC4-AD1F-1D4868D4EB8C.jpeg

36AA1956-1E0A-4FD9-B8FA-36BBB62F86F9.jpeg

F733B25E-936C-4BA5-93D8-80B6D743ABA9.jpeg

Looks pretty clean . . .

At $3500, its probably gone by now, that is a steal. It probably leaks some oil. So you go and buy it?

Even at $3500, most things are fixable within a reasonable range......except for the ABS Master Cylinder/Actuator. I bought mine a week ago, test drove fine, then maybe 50 miles into ownership, it pooped and buzzing and lights all throughout my dash. $2000 just for the part, and only can get it from Toyota.

At $3500, its probably gone by now, that is a steal. It probably leaks some oil. So you go and buy it?

Even at $3500, most things are fixable within a reasonable range......except for the ABS Master Cylinder/Actuator. I bought mine a week ago, test drove fine, then maybe 50 miles into ownership, it pooped and buzzing and lights all throughout my dash. $2000 just for the part, and only can get it from Toyota.

Yeah I’m gonna go ahead and purchase it Tuesday definitely seems like a good buy. I’m gonna go take it for a pre-purchase inspection. Do you think I should take it to a Toyota dealer for a local mechanic for that?

I wouldn't bother with the inspection or worrying about service history.
It runs and drives fine, no unusual noises. It's worth the asking price.
The locking rear diff the actuator is bad, most likely from lack of use.
You're buying a $3500 car, it's going to have problems and need work.
I'd buy it, baseline it and go without looking back. Then fix things as you have the time and money.

I agree with Spike555 it will need everything gone over but with minimal rust
it should be a good purchase at 3500. Just don't expect to get your money back
with a resale. Only buy it for your use and the longer you keep it the more of a value
it will be.

Lucky! I'd buy it now if I had the chance! Paid $5,400 for mine with similar miles, but year 2000. Change those heater T's!

I'd buy it for 3,500 based on the first pic of the undercarriage. PPI? It's not a Lotus. Is this truck located near Washington DC by chance?

I just got a ‘99 LC with 312k and rear locker. Paid $2800. Engine and tranny is tight as a drum. Drives great.

When engaging rear locker, make sure it is in 4 lo. It will flash until you put in 4 lo.

5F95C31F-8CD2-443A-86D1-36A353A92FBB.jpeg

Tell me where this $3500 Land Cruiser is in SD/OC/LA and I'll go check it out for you for free. I'll def. give you a PPI style report back but it might not be there for sale when you get to it.....;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom