Chainsaw Mount? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ewillis

SILVER Star
Threads
Each time I go out on a trip I typically have my eyes peeled all the way for some low hanging fruit in the form of bucked logs on the side of the road/ highway
20171111_182834.jpg
for firewood. I've been successful in finding wood at or near campsites 100% of the time. Often it's a large branch that's been seasoned and I dice it up with my felling axe. EVERY time I think how useful it would be to have a chainsaw to make quick work near camp. I've used this saw to fell 100s of trees in my youth and for some reason I've strayed from considering it necessary equipment. Now in my early 40s, swinging a felling axe is getting tiresome. Is anyone bringing along a saw and how are you mounting/ securing it?

A friend carries a small arborist's saw, just in a small wooden box along with his other gear. It's indispensable when you come upon a tree across the trail, as well as handy for getting the night's firewood.

In several Western and Northeastern states it's illegal to harvest fallen bounty, so you'd need a "sleeper" mount.

and maybe a silent battery powered tool.

A friend carries a small arborist's saw, just in a small wooden box along with his other gear. It's indispensable when you come upon a tree across the trail, as well as handy for getting the night's firewood.
Yeah...I’ve taken the minimalist approach too but my regimen is always the same. Unload all the gear at the campsite and head out about 20 miles away from the populated campsite area and cut firewood to be brought back. The chore would be so much more enjoyable with the stihl and a maul. I realize that cutting in national forests is prohibited in some areas but on the fringes are always encouraged to clear burn fuel. sometimes a $10 tag is required but well worth it for a nice BIG fire each night.

Ideally I think a rear bumper mount would be the ticket but a Labs/Slee rear remains elusive to me at this point. I would think someone must’ve fab’d up an anchor attachment for the third row by now?

How bout repurposing the front half of a chainsaw carrying case, just to protect the blade from catching stuff in the back, then strap it down or stow it next to or in drawers if you have em. There are all sorts of fancy pants boxes for em too. But they seem bulky.

This council tool felling axe has been getting it done for the past five years but time to make life easier...
20171111_191219.jpg

Very cool Razorback cruiser!

Commercial offering: If you're ok with the saw being out in the open, these look pretty good (no personal experience):
byte_tyte_chainsaw_scabbard_large.jpg

Chainsaw Scabbard - AlcobraMetals.com

Husqvarna has a nice rectangular case that packs easier than the standard Stihl-style case. It's not small though:
husqvarna-chainsaw-orange-powerbox1.jpg

One of my buddies built and ran a chainsaw mount on his 4Runner for years. It actually held up to wheeling in CO and Moab really well!

imageproxy.php

imageproxy.php

How bout repurposing the front half of a chainsaw carrying case, just to protect the blade from catching stuff in the back, then strap it down or stow it next to or in drawers if you have em. There are all sorts of fancy pants boxes for em too. But they seem bulky.
Because chain saws leak oil, stink real bad, and get real hot and dirty after use. Not something you want in your truck.

You could store it on the rifle...

saw.png

I keep mine disassembled in my drawers. I just keep a scabbard on the chain. It does leak oil, but it does not bother me. Nor does the dirty stinky part. Who doesn't like the smell of hot 2 stroke oil anyway? If I'm running a trail with lots of down trees I keep it inside and accessible through the back sliding window.

All problems solved with an electric saw! Totally getting one and keeping it inside of the rig. Stilhl and husqy are both making numerous products so we don’t even have to get in to a brand debate..I would have never in a million years thought electric could run halfway decent compared to the good ole two stroke but it’s true.. resume: 30 plus years running saws from MD to OR amd places in between

As an aside cut and harvest as much dead and down as you want on the national forest..don’t cut anything green (not good for burning anyway), don’t leave with a load, and don’t run power tools in the wilderness..it’s much better to use wood in the area of your camp vs. bringing wood from somewhere else so as not to introduce disease or insects anyway

Each time I go out on a trip I typically have my eyes peeled all the way for some low hanging fruit in the form of bucked logs on the side of the road/ highway View attachment 1572483 for firewood. I've been successful in finding wood at or near campsites 100% of the time. Often it's a large branch that's been seasoned and I dice it up with my felling axe. EVERY time I think how useful it would be to have a chainsaw to make quick work near camp. I've used this saw to fell 100s of trees in my youth and for some reason I've strayed from considering it necessary equipment. Now in my early 40s, swinging a felling axe is getting tiresome. Is anyone bringing along a saw and how are you mounting/ securing it?

Ideally you'd want it outside of the car. Smell and oil leak would not be something pleasant to deal with on a long trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom