80 guy with a 100 itch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
im a happy 3x locked 80 owner (97 lx450). However for i have a desire to add a 2007 100 series. I would keep the 80 and use it solely as the adventure camping rig. My questions are as follows:

Is the 2007 100 a drastically better ride than the 97 80? Obviously it’s better but would I say to my self this is too much like my 80....why did I buy this as it’s the similar experience as my 80..etc

Is the 2007 100 Lc 100 ride the same as the lx470? Does the lx470 have a more quiet and luxurious ride?

I don’t want to sell the 80 but would adding a 100 be to redundant bc it’s a similar experience if you daily drove it?

Here is a pic of my 450

429A9C32-903D-455E-BCD7-D84D166DEF14.jpeg

605E5891-782D-4EA0-AED1-9BEB63F6188D.jpeg

If you're looking at 2007 then im not sure the LX is a huge step up over the LC due to them both having AHC, however the LX does have more soundproofing so it should be quieter. I think you'll find a big difference in comfort from your 80 to the 100. I was deciding between the 80 and 100 and im very happy i chose the 100.

I have 4 80 series over the years and still love it and still have one. But 100 series is better almost in anyway, I said almost but not all. For hardcore off-roading, 80 rules having the advantage of front SOA and simplicity of proven features, less bell and whistles to go wrong in extreme off-road condition. But for on road daily driving and moderate off road, you will wonder why in the world it takes you so long to own once you drive and own one! The 470 ride is better with the AHC suspension, quite as well. 80 and 100 is totally different animals, night and day. Best thing is to go drive one.

This may be irrelevant, I was looking for a 100 series last year after driving my friends LX470. Love it, power and refinement way better than 80. Finally able to accelerate up hill and cut through traffic if needed. People wants an arm and a leg for 06-07 models last year and even now. And some how I thought about test driving a 200 and I was like WOW! Way better than 100......found a 11 570 with 78k for $36k, drive the 200 for the 1st time, a 07 with similar mileage was like close to $29k. So I just jump to 200 and grab it right away. A higher mileage early 08, 09 200 with 150k can be had from around $21-$27k now. Something you may want to consider. My 2 cents.

If you're looking at 2007 then im not sure the LX is a huge step up over the LC due to them both having AHC, however the LX does have more soundproofing so it should be quieter. I think you'll find a big difference in comfort from your 80 to the 100. I was deciding between the 80 and 100 and im very happy i chose the 100.

The LX has better refinement throughout the cabin, more seals and quieter than 100, better grade leather, ML system, real wood trim, in general more luxury. Drivetrain, chassis are the same.

The 06-07s are the pinnacle of 100 series refinement. From the front to the back. Awesome vehicles. A 100 series LX in good working order will be a night and day difference as far as HWY/long distance comfort/convenience compared to your 80. There was a time I thought i would never part with my triple locked 80, but im selling it next year. My 2000 LX will be replacing it as a trail rig. I recently purchased another 100, an 06 LC, to be my daily driver because the 100s are just such a great mix of capability and comfort. The 80 is just too fatiguing to drive to and from the trails compared to my 100s. Once I got my first 100 i found I just didn't drive the 80 much anymore, even when I probably could/should. If you are thinking about doing it, just do it. You will not regret it.

Last edited:
Is the 2007 100 a drastically better ride than the 97 80? Obviously it’s better but would I say to my self this is too much like my 80....why did I buy this as it’s the similar experience as my 80..etc..

Any 100 is a drastically better ride than an 80. 80 is in the same ball park as my 62, while the 100 is an entirely different breed of cat, IMO.

This is my experience from limited driving of the 80/100s. If I were to buy another Cruiser, which I won't, it would be a 100 series.

Get the 100 and 200 along with the 80...

Get a 100. You will not regret.

Then sell the 80 and get a 200.

Polaroid cameras were great.
Nokia flip phones were indestructible.

I want neither now

The 2006-7 have to be the worst value in 100 series. For the price people want you're better off getting a 200 for a bit more. I had an 06 and it wasn't much better than my 98. Not triple the price better for sure.

Yes the vvti is more powerful and you get side curtain airbags but you're still stuck with the 6" of front suspension travel, Atari nav, timing belts, difficult to change cam seals, air injection, etc.

The 2006-7 have to be the worst value in 100 series. For the price people want you're better off getting a 200 for a bit more.

This. Guys are trying to flip these 100s for $25-35k. Insane. If guys are buying at that price, they are the greater fool. A clean, low mile 100 is a nice truck... but not at that price.

I've owned 40s, 60s, a 62 a lifted and locked LX450, currently have a 100 and have experience with 200s. My not terribly humble opinion is that the 100 is the pinnacle. A lightly modified 100 will do everything except rock crawl as well or better than any other LC, while having the perfect blend of (relative) simplicity and creature comforts.

I agree that late year 100s are probably over priced, but I'd still over pay for a spotless low mile 100 before I'd buy a comparatively priced 200.

For the price people want you're better off getting a 200 for a bit more.

Probably, but good luck finding one at a decent price. I keep hearing people say to buy a 200 for just a little more than a clean, low-mile, late-model 100, but almost all of the 200s I see for sale suffer from being at least as overpriced as the 100s. And, there were fewer of them imported, if I remember the stats correctly. Add in the higher cost to mod the 200s, and the need to have most of the work done by a shop with special tools/skills (KDSS issues with suspension mods, for example), and the 100s are a still worth a look.

I have had 40's, 62, two 80's and made the jump to a 200 first. I love the 200, unlimited power, you can drive forever at high speeds.

My brother and dad have 100's for years, six months ago a very low mileage 100 fell into my lap. I bought it for my kids to drive as their first car to learn on, they both have a few years before they are ready but it was a super deal.

I work for the department of transportation and drive in some rough areas sometimes, not wanting to damage my new land cruiser I use the 100 for dirty days and love it. I find myself driving it more that the 200 because I am not worried about door dings and it is extremely capable with the stock AHC lift and the all terrain tires.

But the 100 is as far above the 80 as the 200 is to the 100 in refinement.

The size of the 100 is better for trails, the 200 is to large but will rock a 1500 mile trip to the Florida keys I had it on a month ago.

A 200 also fits 35s with a small lift unlike a 100. I see the occasional 08-09 for $24-24k in California with 150k miles. $40k gets you a 2011 with 60k miles.

Oh and the 8500 lb. tow rating.

I used to work for Toyota, as a sales manager, I get to drive all sorts of cars, the 5.7 is a monster, torquey engine. Everything about it is awesome, however the 200 body is just too big, no longer feels like an off road vehicle to me. It feels like a giant suv meant for mall cruising. I would totally own one but don’t think I’d wheel with it, it’ll be a road trip vehicle as it is comfortable to drive. In a perfect world, give me a 5.7L in a 100 body and I’ll gladly take out a second mortgage to pay for it.

06-07 100s are only a bad value if you overpay for one. OP didn’t mention price.

I agree that the 200 is definitely all around better then the 100, but around my area nice early 200s seem to start at least 10k more than nice late model 100s.

I wanted a nice 200 for my daily driver but just couldn’t see the value in it over a nice 100. For me it basically came down to being able to pay for the 100 with cash vs financing the 200. I looked at both and I decided not having a vehicle payment made for a pretty good value, especially considering that in my case there wasn’t anything the 200 could do that the 100 couldn’t. I understand that everyone’s needs are different, that’s just what worked best for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom