LX450 front axle hub stud with cross threaded nut. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
Hello every one! Few months ago I replaced the bearings on front axle hub, recently it started making kind of humming noise. So I decided to check the grease in the bearings and also tighten up the hub adjusting nut. But two of the studs that hold the flange has cross threaded nuts and it's spinning free without coming off. Any idea how to take cross threaded nuts off the stud?
Regards!

Weld the nut on, or a larger hex, then pull the whole stud out. Or you could try epoxy, dunno if that would hold, kinda doubt it.

I assume the threads on the stud are trashed and the whole stud needs to come out. If I didn't have access to a welder, I'd use a dremel to cut a slot in the stud. Then I'd use a hammer-type impact driver with a flat blade to loosen the stud. After giving Kroil or PB Blaster 24 hours to penetrate, of course.

The studs are a buck a pop on Amayama. I just ordered enough to replace all of them (plus a few spares), since my fronts were stripped.

I assume the threads on the stud are trashed and the whole stud needs to come out. If I didn't have access to a welder, I'd use a dremel to cut a slot in the stud. Then I'd use a hammer-type impact driver with a flat blade to loosen the stud. After giving Kroil or PB Blaster 24 hours to penetrate, of course.

The studs are a buck a pop on Amayama. I just ordered enough to replace all of them (plus a few spares), since my fronts were stripped.
I was actually thinking of dremel tool too but then I thought it would destroy the stud also, but eventually I may end up doing that. I just ordered studs from ebay 3.50 a piece, it comes with cone washers and nut but it's going to arrive in few days, so till then I will try other tricks. There is a nice thing called bold buster that will make this job easy but it's price is over 400 bucks.

Buying an $80 Harbor Freight welder was the best thing I ever did. While it's a great glue-gun for metal, the ability to zap stubborn nuts and bolts is worth $80 all day long.

You can always cut it and once you have the hub off you will have plenty of stud left to get out with a vise grip. Or sometimes wedging a flathead screwdriver behind the nut will give it enough bite to remove it.

Cut the nut off with your dremel

Before I bought my welder, I used this old craftsman bolt splitter to get gunked up bolts off. I’ve seen them at Home Depot for like $20. Worked really well for easier to reach bolts. If all else fails take a pair of big pliers to it and just buy a new stud.

Cut the nuts off(dremel or other), remove the flange and use a stud removal tool to replace the 2 damaged studs but i'd recommend just doing them all and get a set of new nuts too.

This is the stud tool set I use personally but other options are out there at various levels of price/quality.

CBS4MSRIS - 4 Piece Metric Stud R- I Set - Cornwell Webcat

Good deal to be had on Ebay now CORNWELL CBS4MSRIS 4PC METRIC STUD REMOVER AND INSTALLER KIT RATCHET DRIVEN | eBay

OTC brand (less expensive) OTC 6987 Extractor - Mechanics Tools

The new versions of the nuts are gold colored so they won't match the old black ones. Don't know if that will bother or not. I would suggest replacing all studs, cone washers, lock washers, and nuts.
IMG_0051.JPG

I had this issue recently. I was able to work the nut off with vise grips and then I used a stud puller to back the stud out for replacement. Got a new stud from Toyota for a couple bucks...

Hello brothers! I got the problem solved. I used a nut breaker tool and stud puller tool. These two tools "must have tool" for DIY jobs. The stud puller tool is from heaven, it don't have threads inside that really amazed me, it has some kind of bearing locking mechanism that locks on to the stud without destroying the threads on it.
I found out the two locking nuts on the hub were loose, after getting it hand tighten, the humming noise went away.

Regards!
IMG_0569.jpg
IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

One of my favorite things to do (with eye protection) is to run an impact wrench on a nut breaker. My inner Tim-the-Toolman grunts every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom