Ga. Cruisers Chat Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Andrew, if you want to do another diagnostic first, try backing up in that same manner after driving around for a while first. If the issue does NOT happen when the trans is warmed up, then the issue is likely the filter as you said. Warm fluid is thinner and will pass through a clogged filter easier than cold fluid.

@pillguy

So, I drove my truck down the side of my yard and into the back yard to drop off some building materials and as I backed my truck up to get out, I had nearly zero power in reverse. Got part way up the hill and transmission light comes on. Had to let it cool down, put some fluid in it and tried again. Same effect, no power despite revving engine. I finally got out on the third attempt. Checked fluid the next day and it is now over full.
Did some reading, and seems to indicate a clogged filter. Based on symptoms, does that make sense? Any other advise or suggestions before I start to tear the pan apart.

literally the same thing happened to patrick's 62 after about a 20 minute drive. overheated trans, fluid started smelling kinda burnt, then no power in reverse, then no power at all. First thing we did was drop the pan and then take the filter out. It was the most gunked ive ever seen. We decided to swap the throttle body with another tuned one off the parts truck he bought, but we had to rebuild it first. After we did all that it runs fine again without issues. Long story short its probably the filter and the trans probably needs a rodney flush to get whatever is in there out.

@steve4x4, it did it after I had driven about 20 miles
literally the same thing happened to patrick's 62 after about a 20 minute drive. overheated trans, fluid started smelling kinda burnt, then no power in reverse, then no power at all. First thing we did was drop the pan and then take the filter out. It was the most gunked ive ever seen. We decided to swap the throttle body with another tuned one off the parts truck he bought, but we had to rebuild it first. After we did all that it runs fine again without issues. Long story short its probably the filter and the trans probably needs a rodney flush to get whatever is in there out.
This describes it exactly, truck has 185k on it so I would guess it needs a filter change out. I think I have everything as I ordered stuff over a year ago and the parts are waiting to be installed.
Andrew, if you want to do another diagnostic first, try backing up in that same manner after driving around for a while first. If the issue does NOT happen when the trans is warmed up, then the issue is likely the filter as you said. Warm fluid is thinner and will pass through a clogged filter easier than cold fluid.

@pillguy

@CID 96

Did a little advertising today.

IMG_2361.JPG

Not sure if this is the right forum, but was wondering if someone can give me some advice.

I’ll be traveling to Disney from Indy in late December with the family. Can anyone recommend a safe town to book a hotel off interstate 75 South of Macon?

I currently have booked a Fairfield Inn by Marriott in the town of Tifton. Just wondering if this is a safe town/area to stay with the family. This would put us 4 hours or so out of Orlando, which is what I am looking for.

Thanks for the help!

I haven't been there in a while, but Tifton and Valdosta are probably two of the bigger towns on that route in south Georgia. They seem to be the main stops for tourist travelling, so that can be a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. I wouldn't call either of them "bad" areas at all from what I can recall.

That is right off the highway and it's fine.

Not sure if this is the right forum, but was wondering if someone can give me some advice.

I’ll be traveling to Disney from Indy in late December with the family. Can anyone recommend a safe town to book a hotel off interstate 75 South of Macon?

I currently have booked a Fairfield Inn by Marriott in the town of Tifton. Just wondering if this is a safe town/area to stay with the family. This would put us 4 hours or so out of Orlando, which is what I am looking for.

Thanks for the help!

I've stayed and worked in Tifton a lot over the past few years. The place you booked is where all the newer commercial development is - not a lot of local food options, but you'll have access to all the generics. It's plenty fine for a brief overnight with the family.

You'll be fine unless you you are scared of rednecks :hillbilly:.

Hey. I'm a new FJZ80 owner and new at maintenance. Does anyone have a Helicoil kit I could borrow? I started replacing my wheel bearings the other day when I realized that the caliper bolts were secured with the craziest ghetto rigged method by the PO. Anyways, now I have to rethread the caliper mount and I don't really have the money at this point to buy one of those kits.

Hey. I'm a new FJZ80 owner and new at maintenance. Does anyone have a Helicoil kit I could borrow? I started replacing my wheel bearings the other day when I realized that the caliper bolts were secured with the craziest ghetto rigged method by the PO. Anyways, now I have to rethread the caliper mount and I don't really have the money at this point to buy one of those kits.

I'd call ACC and get new calipers/knuckles depending on if the ghetto rig is on the rear or front axle. Brakes are risky to mess with like that. The parts are probably are pretty cheap and some new rebuild parts from Toyota and you'll have brand new brakes.

Anyone doing a snow run tomorrow to N Ga ?

I'm doing a snow run to TN in an hour lol. No offroad though.

@steve4x4, it did it after I had driven about 20 miles

This describes it exactly, truck has 185k on it so I would guess it needs a filter change out. I think I have everything as I ordered stuff over a year ago and the parts are waiting to be installed.
Fixed?

Are you kidding me? I plan to work on this at beginning of January. My locker is not working either, so it's time to bring truck in for long term maintenance. Once it's done, it's time to test on my backyard trail. It has an as some hill climb and a mini rock garden. Just have to be a bit discreet not to annoy neighbors.

MH and I are talking about driving the Georgia Overland Trail during her Spring Break. 1st week of April. It is mostly gravel I think so very mild. If it's fixed by then maybe you will want to go.

The Georgia Traverse - The Georgia Traverse

Last edited:

I know this was in November, and not sure if you fixed it.

I went with Threadserts for my FJ62, 2xFJ60 and FZJ80. They are taper threaded inserts that are basically permanently installed into the hole, not springs, that scare me. I installed it backwards on purpose. Instead of putting them in the same direction the bolt would go in (that is how most people do it and it works fine) I inserted them from the engine side, so the bolt is pulling trying to pull them thru the knuckle (not going to happen because of the flange). The engineering behind these products is really good, though pricey.

Every FJ6x I have had has had a bad caliper hole. So buying new ones will result in the same issue unless Toyota fixed this.

For a temporary fix you can tap it 1/2-28?? I believe, I know it is 1/2" but not sure of the number of threads..maybe 20? it is here on mud somewhere.

Use a new bolt with a new split washer, and if you are scared, use loctite (though heat may negate this)... I have not had any come loose after repairing with the Treadsert, when it was torqued to the proper ft/#.

I have a kit, though it is 100 miles from Atlanta. Message me if you still need to do this repair... I might be able to get it shipped to me...then I could help you with it.

MH and I are talking about driving the Georgia Overland Trail during her Spring Break. 1st week of April. It is mostly gravel I think so very mild. If it's fixed by then maybe you will want to go.

The Georgia Traverse - The Georgia Traverse
Looks like it isn't going to happen. I have to go to New York for a murder trial. So be it, the weather looks s***ty anyways.

saw this and thought it was hilarious. Some will appreciate, others maybe not but still funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom