Spare Tire Issue under GX470 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm struggling trying to figure out what to do about my spare tire. I currently have the OEM rim (17x.7.5 with the +25 offset) with 265/65/17 tire as a spare (that's a 30.6" by 10.4" wide tire).

Well, my spare is 2" shorter in diameter than the current 285/70/17 BFG KOs that I'm running on MB Wheels with -12 offsets. This is a 32.7" x 11.2" tire.

I'm assuming that it's a bad idea to run a spare 2" smaller in diameter. I don't understand why, but let's just say it's bad.

So, I have two issues.

What's the best way to upgrade my spare? Either go with a skinny tire that's either
(a) 31.8" (this is a 235/80/17 on stock OEM rim) or
(b) 33.1" (this is a 255/80/17 on stock OEM rim).

And my second issue, could people please share the rim size and tire size they have in the stock OEM location? This is only if you are running a larger than stock spare. Specific rim size and tire size would be great.

Thanks,

Manny

Full-time 4wd (and ATRAC and VSC) on the GX needs same size wheels to operate correctly, as they rely on wheel speed sensors. It can tolerate small differences but 2" is too much.

I found the following helpful posts by searching for "spare tire fit"

Biggest deflated spare tire in stock location?
285 for a spare?

You might try some other close search terms.

Maybe I'll take another approach and ask those that are running a specific tire to see what they have in the spare location.

I found another skinny tire that leaves me close, but still off by about half an inch from 32.7":
(a) 31.8" (this is a 235/80/17 on stock OEM rim) or
(b) 33.1" (this is a 255/80/17 on stock OEM rim) or
(c) 32.1" (this is a 255/75/17 on stock OEM rim)

I think option (c) will fit in the spare location.

However, anyone running 255/80/17s also have this tire in the stock spare location?

I have a fully inflated 255-75-17 in the spare location. Cooper at3 on fn fx pro 17x8 +0 to be exact.

@teejnut thanks for the info on your spare. That helps. Do you think the OEM rims with your tire and a 2/5" lift with TC UCAs would rub the body mount? It seems that it wouldn't.

A few items will change your spare fitment. 1) Having KDSS. 2) Factory tube style hitch.

I just ordered some 265/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Stayed smaller so I can put the same size tire in the factory spare location. Did not want to deflate nor risk tire not fitting. Running stock rims. Will post pictures of tire fitment when I get them mounted this week. If not this week won't be until mid-November before I can get them mounted.

I know the tire size is to small for your needs but will be a good reference for others.

@teejnut thanks for the info on your spare. That helps. Do you think the OEM rims with your tire and a 2/5" lift with TC UCAs would rub the body mount? It seems that it wouldn't.

Pretty sure you won't have an issue with the body mount... I don't believe I've read anyone with 255-75-17 have to deal with a BMC.

And for my spare, I don't have KDSS but I do have a hitch (non-OEM from etrailer.com)

Pretty sure you won't have an issue with the body mount... I don't believe I've read anyone with 255-75-17 have to deal with a BMC.

And for my spare, I don't have KDSS but I do have a hitch (non-OEM from etrailer.com)

I did. 255/75R17 Duratracs on FN F(x) Pro 17x8 0mm wheels, ~2" (never measured) lift with SPC UCA's, caster within OEM spec. If I put some more in, I may have cleared...easy enough to chop them, though.

I did. 255/75R17 Duratracs on FN F(x) Pro 17x8 0mm wheels, ~2" (never measured) lift with SPC UCA's, caster within OEM spec. If I put some more in, I may have cleared...easy enough to chop them, though.

Interesting. I am running TC UCA. But yeah a BMC s easy enough and not really a big deal.

This is good info. The problem I have is that my spare has stock oem rims and those are +25 offset, so the big fat tires will rub for sure.

I’m trying to save money and not get a new rim. I want the oem stock rim with a skinny tire like a 32x10.5.

I cannot find an e rated 255/75/17 tire. This would be the 32 x 10 tire that could serve my spare needs. I only find c rated 6-ply 255/75/17 tires

I believe most of the fitment issues have to do with the overall diameter of the tire more so than the width of the tire. My 255-75-17 fit snugly in the spare tire location. A wider tired will just stick down from the spare mount slightly more.

I suppose a smallish 33 x 10.5 could be used deflated. Like a 32.7 x 10.5 if such tire exists.

You are right regarding spare well under GX470. My problem is my spare rim is oem and fat tire will rub when used due to offset being +25

I believe most of the fitment issues have to do with the overall diameter of the tire more so than the width of the tire. My 255-75-17 fit snugly in the spare tire location. A wider tired will just stick down from the spare mount slightly more.

This is an option to deflate and store in stock location. Since my oem rim is stock and at +25 offset, my spare will rub when using it. This is why I want to use a skinny 32" tire as spare. Otherwise, I have to buy a 5th rim and tire. I don't usually rotate spare into use.

I fully deflated my 285/70 KO2 on Trd pro wheels and it fits into the factory location. This is with the higher rated factory row hitch. Then all you need is some type of on board air.

Cheers,

Last edited:
285/70's
OEM wheels
Removed stock tow hitch and replaced with SSO's little hitch
Full size inflated spare
Bought used tire for spare but hard to tell

285/70's
OEM wheels
Removed stock tow hitch and replaced with SSO's little hitch
Full size inflated spare
Bought used tire for spare but hard to tell

I was assuming that 285/70s run with oem rims. Is that not the case?

This is good info. The problem I have is that my spare has stock oem rims and those are +25 offset, so the big fat tires will rub for sure.

I’m trying to save money and not get a new rim. I want the oem stock rim with a skinny tire like a 32x10.5.

I cannot find an e rated 255/75/17 tire. This would be the 32 x 10 tire that could serve my spare needs. I only find c rated 6-ply 255/75/17 tires
I don't even have LT tires on my GX...how heavy are you that you need E?

I need E tires for off-roading. They are 10-ply compared to the C tires that are 6-ply. Or d tires that are 8-ply.

I was assuming that 285/70s run with oem rims. Is that not the case?

I meant to say here that 285/70s on stock oem rims will rub. The +25 offset and the wider tire get it too close to the frame

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom