MOAB 2018!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Although I did get the day off, at least you're not riding out a typhoon on the 3rd floor of a barracks. No overturned cars yet, but it's pretty bad outside.

@4xsteve , @DSLTOY

In 2015 we all arrived on Sunday if I recall correctly...

So, I'm gonna book this campsite tomorrow, the final question is do I book it starting the 15th (Saturday) or starting the 16th (Sunday)???? Obviously arrival times for those driving in is the major determining factor.

Last edited:
Driving from South Florida - definitely won't be there on Saturday.

Just picked up a new ARB locker for the front spare. Working on selling off the Land Rover stuff to fund the rebuild on the 40.

@4xsteve , @DSLTOY

In 2015 we all arrived on Sunday if I recall correctly...

So, I'm gonna book this campsite tomorrow, the final question is do I book it starting the 15th (Saturday) or starting the 16th (Sunday)???? Obviously arrival times for those driving in is the major determining factor.
I think Sunday is a safe bet. If we arrive earlier, maybe ask Woody if we can just chill there for the night. Won't be a real big deal since everything will be on the trailers anyway.

We're booked you forkers:

@DSLTOY @Sputnik40 @BGarcia88FJ62 @4xsteve

• Reservation #: 2-35956770
  • Arrival Date: Sun Sep 16 2018
  • Check-in: 3:00 pm
  • State: Utah
  • Site, Loop: GR08, Group Standard Overnight Use
    Campsite Details
  • Reservation Type: Overnight
  • Departure Date: Thu Sep 20 2018
  • Check-out: 2:00 pm
  • Campground: Sand Hollow State Park, UT
    Campground Details Map Driving Route
  • Site Type: GROUP STANDARD
Bill-- I booked for 4 nights, not 5 so we owe you a little $ back.

Screenshot-2017-10-29 Sand Hollow State Park.png

Last edited:
Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday will keep you very busy :)

Looks like the Utah OHV pass is $30? $35 if you buy online. Is one of the vendors nearby or can you buy direct at the park? Not being familiar with Moab, did we need this for there anyways - not just within the Sand Hollow campground to BLM PL?

My 40 isn't registered - so would have to bring the title if I read correctly?

Non-Resident OHV Permits

Check to see if YOU need a Non-Resident Permit

This out-of-state permit costs $30 and is good for 12 months from the time of purchase. If you order the permit online, there is an additional $5 charge.

If you’d rather pick one up in person, please visit one of our vendors to purchase one face-to-face.

Remember to bring:
  • Proof of residency: driver’s license or other state-issued identification.
  • Proof of ownership: title or current registration or bill of sale.

Not being familiar with Moab, did we need this for there anyways - not just within the Sand Hollow campground to BLM PL?

My 40 isn't registered - so would have to bring the title if I read correctly?

For Sand Hollow, that's how I read it too.

For Moab, unless things have changed since 2015, NO. I spent a lot of time and effort getting "street legal" to include turn signals, running lights, tags and insurance, etc. and it never turned out it to be an issue. Moab seems pretty liberal when it comes to the OHV rigs as they allow Raizers, SxS, off road rigs, to ride the roads as long as you are being a courteous driver.

That said we did a lot of pavement driving and insurance is not a bad thing to have, I'll likely re-tag mine and purchase insurance again for 2018 just to be sure.

Now that we seem to have something of a formula coming together the question now is WHO's GOING? As far as I know I'm the only one officially on Roger's trailer right now. I believe he is scouting/recruiting the TN crowd for takers but have no idea where that stands.

Lastly, logistics... who, what, when, and where as far a transport from/to? Dare I ask about Spanky and Jeep Guy Nick???? Anyone wanna bet on their attendance?

12122746_10153652493237482_9035989345621597181_n.jpg

Last edited:
Still a go for me. Hoping there's a spot on Rogers Trailer for my junk.
:beer:

So that means there's only one spot left on Roger's trailer if Ben and Ted [and Roger] are definites.

I'm 99% definite, so long as the baby 5hats coming in March is healthy and I fly down my in laws to help the wife watch the boys while I'm gone.....

I'm fairly certain I want to drive out myself, with or w/o a copilot, especially since it's just as much work for me to get my junk up to the jump off point for Roger.

I did forward invites to the Facebook page for some of the more aggro Florida buggy guys, some of whom have bigger trailers, so hopefully a few of them show interest and other options open up.

Till then 99% and driving out.

P.S. Teddy, just keep the funds I sent for now - it's easier to round up and settle out later.

Currently Jason is in the forth spot on trailer. Assuming he can get the time off he will co-drive with me. So to confirm the trailer is Ted, Jason, Ben and me and the fifth truck that Ted will load on bottom of trailer in boxes.

The next question is who's coming in the moderate group.
Currently I see Jason, Ben and me. I would like to put the Kokopelli's trail on out list. This will be 3 day/2 nights on the trail.

I'm 99% definite, so long as the baby 5hats coming in March is healthy and I fly down my in laws to help the wife watch the boys while I'm gone.....

Thanks Bill, I talked to Dennis and he's a no-go but what about Steve?

That's good news about Jason, hes a great addition especially if he keeps beating on that poor 4Runner. We'll have him on big tars before too long.

@DSLTOY -- We're already 6 months of ahead of where we were in 2015 so I have no fear of a moderate group coming together. you already have a great foundation to work with. What of Andy, Elbert and Hunter?

Andy is out, it would take all his vacation time and they have a couple other places to go. Hunter has the furniture mart thing in early Oct and is always busy in late September. Elbert is most likely out, 1 October is end of fiscal year and they are swamped in September and usually will not grant leave.
Hopefully we can add 3 or 4 trucks to moderate group but please don't invite another short bus and stick the moderate group with him.

Andy is out, it would take all his vacation time and they have a couple other places to go. Hunter has the furniture mart thing in early Oct and is always busy in late September. Elbert is most likely out, 1 October is end of fiscal year and they are swamped in September and usually will not grant leave.
Hopefully we can add 3 or 4 trucks to moderate group but please don't invite another short bus and stick the moderate group with him.

Bummer, was hoping all those guys were in. I guess that makes an opportunity to make new friends. :moon:

Just a thought, I was looking at kane creek trail the other night, would make for a good 1 overnight run and close enough to moab anyone could attend.

Currently Jason is in the forth spot on trailer. Assuming he can get the time off he will co-drive with me.
That's awesome. I thought I heard that Jason was a no-go for this trip already.

~ and the fifth truck that Ted will load on bottom of trailer in boxes.
**internet awesomeness** haha. Roger got JOKES! :D

The next question is who's coming in the moderate group.
I will second Ted on this and say that there won't likely be a shortage of moderate rigs, even if they're last-minute additions. I really want to go on some of the milder trails actually. So much so that I am watching out for a deal on some 37-38" radials to swap on for when longer trips with lots of road miles come up. Unfortunately, with SH already in the mix, time in Moab is already going to be VERY limited. :/
If the stars align for me to join on moderate trails, maybe I'll just hop in and be a spotter, cable puller, photographer.

Just a thought, I was looking at kane creek trail the other night, would make for a good 1 overnight run and close enough to moab anyone could attend.
If memory serves me right, I think Kane Creek Canyon's western terminus is at or near the west end of Behind the Rocks, isn't it? Could be a good way to do an overnighter: Do KCC west and run BtR the opposite way we did last time to come back. Both KCC and BtR trails hit Hwy191 about a mile apart.

In looking at a map, it appears Cliffhanger is right there near the end Kane Creek too....
(So is Pritchett Canyon...)

IMO though, KCC isn't going to take long enough to warrant an overnighter. My suggestion for an overnighter would be, or include, the Poison Spyder Mesa set of trails. That includes Poison Spyder, Gold Bar Rim, Golden Spike and Rusty Nail (optional for hardcore group).
Also Metal Masher and Gemini Bridges is over there and that'd work decently if the two groups wanted to do separate trails one of the days.

Last edited:
I am up for the trip, but can't 100% commit yet due elderly parent issues. My mom is constantly in and out of the hospital.
There is nothing else stopping me and the dates are perfect. I will probably drive myself out.
I'm trying to get Cliff (Florida guy) fired up on going (Toyota V8 powered buggy)
I'll be sure to get some behind the wheel time and ALL bugs worked out before the trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom