2007 LX470 Tilt steering issue not telescoping issue. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

New to the site but not Toyotas. I have been a Toyota fan ever since my first pickup an 87 4x4 standard cab. So now I have a '14 Tundra Limited in Sunset Bronze and a '07 LX470 in Pearl that I purchased after someone sideswiped my Limited 4Runner. So anyway you get it that I like Toyotas.

Recently I have run into a problem with the tilt steering on my LX470. It will telescope just fines but the tilt quit working. When I activate the switch it makes a very quiet two note beep or buzz but doesn't work at all.

Also, when I turn over the key the memory function that would normally extend the steering wheel out to the preset distance no longer works and I adjust that manually each time I start the truck. I have read many threads on the telescoping issues but have not read anything on the tilt specially.

Thanks for any input

Chip

Same tilt issue is happening on my 01 LX. I assume its a similar process from the telescoping but have been too lazy to look into it.

Yes I was hoping that someone could tell me if it’s a relay issue or the elec motor issue so I know which part to order.

There are generally two problems with the tilt and telescoping feature, same problem for both, and the same motor and mechanics.
One is that the motor will wear out after a certain number of operations, which means that if you leave the standard "auto tilt and retract" function on, the motors will wear out before nearly anything else on the truck.
Two, is that the screw that the motor operates becomes "sticky" or something - that it doesn't move easily anymore. It needs cleaning and lubing. Combine that with the weak motor, and you got a problem.

The general solution is to switch off the automatic function and clean and lubricate the screw/shaft. Then it will last as a power steering wheel adjuster "forever".
If the motor has already failed, get a new one 2nd hand; or re-prioritize the beer budget for a month or two - for a new one.

^^^ This.... I disabled (electronically) my auto-retract/tilt motor over 10 years ago. I recently noticed the tilt wasn't adjustable. And then, more recently, the tilt was working again. I think it was just dry and gummed up a bit. I'll give it a cleaning and fresh lube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom