100 series purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, first post here. Ive been lurking for awhile, looks like a great forum. I am now ready to buy my first cruiser. 100 series seems like it will fit the bill. I am a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu instructor and competitor, and will be using the cruiser to travel to tournaments and seminars, so highway comfort is a big deal to me. I also plan to use the cruiser for some overlanding with friends and my wife.

I found a 2006 TLC that I can afford. I like the idea of the extra power of the 2006 and the 5 speed transmission. I test drove a 2002 LX that had the ABS and VSC light on, and it accelerated like my aunts Prius. I am counting on the 5 speed transmission to help that. The vehicle in question has 180k miles, and is listed for $16k. The guy has to sell it by Friday in order to take ownership of a truck he ordered from carmax. He reportedly owes $12k on his current loan. I was prepared to make and offer, but after closer picture inspections the passenger side headlight has been replaced. He claims it was like that when he bought it, and that the carfax shows no accidents. Also, he says there is a humming noise over the radio. He says not loud but noticeable. He says the amplifier got wet while shampooing the carpet.

With the combination of the headlight and the "shampoo" incident, I am thinking the TLC has suffered mild water damage. What do you all think? Worth making an offer? Its 1.5 hours away from me so I want do my research before I make the drive.

hard to say... 12 years and 180k miles. A lot of s*** can happen. How long has this guy owned it? Eyeball him. you want a mid 60's doctor type wearing the rolex etc. rich guy= open wallet... vs the young guy that wants a bling bling car and can't afford it. run the VIN through the toyota owners website... see whats been done.

Also watch out for the guys that buy clapped out northern trucks and then sell em down south... GL

I saw that cruiser on Craigslist a while back and almost went and looked at it but ended up finding one with lower mileage and perfect records a little closer to me. There was something about it that turned me off, but I can’t remember what it was. Did it spend some time up north?

I facebook creeped him. He is a younger guy. Probably 30 or so. That spooked me a little also. I also saw a 2002 LX with 150k miles that I can get for around $9k. Not trying to start a debate about 4 speed vs 5 speed, but I think ill really appreciate the extra gear.

BTW, whats up with KBB being way low on these vehicles? Every TLC or LX I see is priced way above KBB value.

sit tight and wait... there are good deals to be had all over the internets. I daily drive an 01 with big ol heavy tires, and while its slow on merging, its more than enough for me. I also have an 07 with the 5 speed, and while its much more responsive, it also has little ass stock tires. Don't get in a hurry, find a good one, and live happily ever after.

PS- buy one on mud if you can. I prefer mud owners, because they usually take good care of their stuff....

I found a one owner 2006 in Jacksonville that had 145k, perfect inside and out, and all records online at Toyota owners website. It was classic silver metallic just like the one you are looking at.

Did you look at the 07 that was at Vic Bailey Subaru a few weeks ago? I wanted to go look at it but someone put down a deposit the morning I was going.

I found a one owner 2006 in Jacksonville that had 145k, perfect inside and out, and all records online at Toyota owners website. It was classic silver metallic just like the one you are looking at.

Did you look at the 07 that was at Vic Bailey Subaru a few weeks ago? I wanted to go look at it but someone put down a deposit the morning I was going.

I did not. What was it going for? I have only been searching on craigslist and facebook messenger. Going to start watching MUD as well. There are two LX's in Anderson at Times Past Automotive. They look overpriced to me, but nice.

sit tight and wait... there are good deals to be had all over the internets. I daily drive an 01 with big ol heavy tires, and while its slow on merging, its more than enough for me. I also have an 07 with the 5 speed, and while its much more responsive, it also has little ass stock tires. Don't get in a hurry, find a good one, and live happily ever after.

PS- buy one on mud if you can. I prefer mud owners, because they usually take good care of their stuff....
I agree about waiting. If it’s not exactly what you are looking for or you don’t have a good feeling, just wait, the right one will pop up.
If you are open to an LX they are easy to find and a lot of times nicer and maintained better. Older doctors and people with plenty of money for all recommended service and maintenance tend to have owned them. I would probably pass on this one being that it’s (maybe) a tad sketchy from a younger guy. You can find a cupcake if you are willing to wait a few weeks.
My 2000 LX was owned by a dentist that paid to have it detailed ($250) by Lexus every other service! I almost fell out when I saw the records.

Where is the best place to view the records? Toyota owners website? Would that cover LX's also? I actually prefer the look of the LX front end. I think they look great lifted with larger tires.

I did not. What was it going for? I have only been searching on craigslist and facebook messenger. Going to start watching MUD as well. There are two LX's in Anderson at Times Past Automotive. They look overpriced to me, but nice.
The one at Vic Bailey had 160k and they were asking 17,500. It was nice looking.
I picked up my 2006 for 18k. They were asking 21,000. It was more then I originally intended to spend but it checked all of my boxes so I’m happy as can be.
When I was looking there was a LC and an Lx at times past, but if I remember correctly the LC was from up north, and I didn’t want a LX this time around. If you are new to Cruisers the northern ones almost always have rust issues underneath.

Also the one you are looking at has AHC. That’s something else to figure in maintenance wise.

Last edited:
Where is the best place to view the records? Toyota owners website? Would that cover LX's also? I actually prefer the look of the LX front end. I think they look great lifted with larger tires.
Yes, you can register and look up service history on as many Toyota’s as you want on Toyota Owners Website. Lexus has an owners site too.
If the vehicle was serviced by Toyota or Lexus it will show there.
You can also view the original specs there. It will tell you the paint codes, interior, options both factory and port installed that came on the vehicle, the dealer that sold it originally, and sometimes even the original sticker price. It’s very helpful.

The one at Vic Bailey had 160k and they were asking 17,500. It was nice looking.
I picked up my 2006 for 18k. They were asking 21,000. It was more then I originally intended to spend but it checked all of my boxes so I’m happy as can be.
When I was looking there was an LC and an Lx at times past, but if I remember correctly the LC was from up north, and I didn’t want a LX this time around. If you are new to Cruisers the northern ones almost always have rust issues underneath.

Also the one you are looking at has AHC. That’s something else to figure in maintenance wise.
I dont mind AHC, as I would eventually put a lift on it anyway.

Here are the offerings from times past right now.

2003 with 120k miles for $15k
2004 with 116k miles for $18k

Yeah, I removed the AHC from my LX because I was adding so much weight and it was going to be more off-road oriented. On my new to me 06 I’m going to keep the AHC and replace components as necessary. AHC is just so damn nice on the HWY(and not really a limitation off-road)! I’ve already lifted mine and put new tires on and I haven’t had it two weeks. It’s a dream on the HWY.

I dont mind AHC, as I would eventually put a lift on it anyway.

Here are the offerings from times past right now.

2003 with 120k miles for $15k
2004 with 116k miles for $18k
Hard to say if those are overpriced or not without taking a closer look. I would say they would have to be perfect in, out, and under, and have PERFECT service records for those prices though. Especially the 04.

Too me mileage doesn’t matter as much as upkeep and services. If a vehicle seems abused I don’t care how many miles it has, I’ll pass for a better kept cruiser, even if it has way more miles.
Basically more or less mileage doesn’t mean much on these vehicles. Maintenance is the key.

Last edited:
Yeah, I removed the AHC from my LX because I was adding so much weight and it was going to be more off-road oriented. On my new to me 06 I’m going to keep the AHC and replace components as necessary. AHC is just so damn nice on the HWY(and not really a limitation off-road)! I’ve already lifted mine and put new tires on and I haven’t had it two weeks. It’s a dream on the HWY.

How did you lift it while keeping the AHC? Adjusted your sensors?

How did you lift it while keeping the AHC? Adjusted your sensors?
Yup, took about 30 minutes.

The night I went and looked at her...

02E61B54-92C0-424B-B9E8-99BD54515A2C.jpeg

362468C7-4E05-42C8-9E19-9682C746C1E8.jpeg

A week later...

253F3685-F7EB-4E60-993D-593C00B9AFBC.jpeg

B1CA7E0B-EA00-48B8-8644-86BA9F4752E8.jpeg

Hard to say if those are overpriced or not without taking a closer look. I would say they would have to be perfect in, out, and under, and have PERFECT service records for those prices though. Especially the 04.

Too me mileage doesn’t matter as much as upkeep and services. If a vehicle seems abused I don’t care how many miles it has, I’ll pass for a better kept cruiser, even if it has way more miles.
Basically more or less mileage doesn’t mean much on these vehicles. Maintenance is the key.
I may go look at them this weekend. Do you agree that I should only be looking at models with the 5 speed transmission?

Gorgeous pics. I am jealous!

I may go look at them this weekend. Do you agree that I should only be looking at models with the 5 speed transmission?

Gorgeous pics. I am jealous!
The 5 speeds are nice, but I wouldn’t pass up a nice 2000-02 if I stumbled on the right one. If I went pre-03 it would have to be non-nav so I could install an aftermarket head unit though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom