Ham radio class & test (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
At the request of the club, I will be offering an amateur (ham) radio class and test this winter. Thanks to @StaleAle and @apinti for getting their volunteer examiner (VE) certificates, we can now offer the test within the club (3 VEs are required).

The class and test will cover:
- Introduction to Amateur Radio
- Radio fundamentals
- Basic electricity and components
- Antennas
- Radio equipment
- Operating procedures
- FCC Regulations
- Safety

Trust me, this list sounds worse than it is. I know 5th & 6th graders who have passed the test.

We can consider this a tech day with the class starting in the morning and the test being conducted when everyone is comfortable with the material. If you don't need/want to sit through the class and just want to arrive later to take the test, that is fine too.

The test questions are provided by the ARRL (Amateur Radio Relay League) Home the national association for Amateur Radio. If you want to purchase study material ($30 + shipping) it is available here: http://www.arrl.org/shop/ARRL-Ham-Radio-License-Manual-3rd-Edition/?page=1 Since we are having the class, this is optional. We will cover everything that is in the book in the class. The book does have a section that lists all of the possible test questions with answers. There will be only 35 questions on the test. I won't see the questions selected for our test until I open the envelope containing the test sheets in front of the class. There are plenty of web sites available that offer study material and practice tests. Google ham radio technician test. After completing the test, the paperwork will be returned to the ARRL. The FCC will then issue the license (call sign) to the new ham.

What I need to know:
- What Saturday or Sunday in January - February is best for everyone (when it is too cold to be in the garage working on the truck)?
- Who would like to attend? I need to know how many tests to order and how big a "classroom" we need.

If you have any questions and want to contact me directly, my email address is: ed (the at sign) emorth (dot) com

OBTW, you guys have it easy... when I took my test in 1973 I had to send & receive Morse code as part of the test. Am I showing my age???

Ed

I'd be interested.

In addition to the technician level test we should be able to offer the general level test. Probably won't have time to cover any of the general material in the class. Let me know if you are interested.

What's the difference? Technician can operate on frequencies that provide local area coverage, general can operate on additional freqs that provide worldwide coverage.

I am in...I'll make whatever day it is work. January is pretty open right now.

I'd like to do a class/study session for the tech exam.
Then anouther class/study session for general exam.

I think we should introduce the Morse code portion of the test again. I know the guys in our club would love a challenge. :)

You can take that bleeping Morse code requirement and stick it in your ear...and I mean that literally!:rofl:

Yeah, about 30 years ago I passed the 3rd class Morse code operator license back in Europe. Now, I don't even remember the code anymore:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom