What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

At 122,500 it was time for a regear to 4.88's. The "while you're there" is strong with this project. Rebuilt front axle with new bearings and seals, rebuilt rear axle with new bearings and seals. New front brake pads, rotors, and calipers(rebuilt NAPA), new rear pads and rotors, new Toyota U-joints, swapped sides on the birfs, and obviously, new gears, gear oil and grease in the knuckles. Just went with Toyota orange FIPG instead of the gasket on the diffs.

Zuk at gearinstalls.com is the man in getting the gears installed quickly and more importantly correctly with some great communication in between.

Overall, it was a straightforward job, the only real challenges for me were bench pressing the diffs when removing and installing and not realizing that the front diff will not reinstall with the tie rod attached. Had to pull the tie rod and I replaced the ends. They came off the steering arms with some heat and some pounding fairly easy, but it took a lot more heat and pounding to get the ends off the rod.

View attachment 1557676 View attachment 1557677 View attachment 1557678

Tough stuff lifting those diffs on. Nice list of items to check off the list too.

Made a trip to the beach

20171018_093912.jpg

Got to try something I saw in a YouTube video a few weeks a go that I had no idea about. With the cruise control set, a simple up or down bump of the stalk raises or lowers the set point by 1mph respectively for each bump. Mind=blown. Sometimes it's the little things lol

Got to try something I saw in a YouTube video a few weeks a go that I had no idea about. With the cruise control set, a simple up or down bump of the stalk raises or lowers the set point by 1mph respectively for each bump. Mind=blown. Sometimes it's the little things lol
Whaaat!!! This is possible?!! haha.... welcome to your land cruiser

Yup, that says"accelerate" and "coast" on it.
20171018_201203.jpg

Reading... it's not just for books.

Yup, that says"accelerate" and "coast" on it.
View attachment 1557835
Reading... it's not just for books.
Yeah, well, coast doesn't mean slow in a precise amount. And they all accelerate, but I've never known one to go up in mph increments like that either. Nor does it say that. But thanks for the snide comment.

Welcome to the 90s, we've been waiting for you.

I use it a lot as most vehicle have the same feature but FWIW I get 1.5 mph changes:flipoff2:
Also noted if you pull back on the stalk it kills CC but remembers your setting for when you hit resume(RES).;)

Got some OEM parts delivered from their mother land (rear tire carrier and skid plate). A good weekend project.

xKT07RZl.jpg

oan23rhl.jpg

Got some OEM parts delivered from their mother land (rear tire carrier and skid plate). A good weekend project.

xKT07RZl.jpg

oan23rhl.jpg

What is that piece in the lower pic? It looks skid plate-ish? Did you also get the internal bracing for the body to support your tire carrier?

What is that piece in the lower pic? It looks skid plate-ish? Did you also get the internal bracing for the body to support your tire carrier?

Yes. it is the factory skid plate, as I stated in my OP. No, unfortunately, I do not have those pieces. So I would have to fab up something to reinforce it and make it work. Shouldn't be that difficult.

Yes. it is the factory skid plate, as I stated in my OP. ...

Ha ha... That was rather obvious.:oops:

Will you have a thread documenting how you plan to brace the tire carrier? I'm very interested to see how it turns out.

I've got that skid plate and a factory carrier. Let me know if you need pics of stuff.

I use it a lot as most vehicle have the same feature but FWIW I get 1.5 mph changes:flipoff2:
Also noted if you pull back on the stalk it kills CC but remembers your setting for when you hit resume(RES).;)

UNLESS you drop below 45 MPH, when it clears it and you have to start over.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom