Where did you mount your trailer brake controller? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OK, so I’ve got my Tekonsha brake controller, and am ready to start the hunt for the under-dash connector plugged into the dummy port. Before I go destroying anything in the process of removing plastic, does anybody havce any tips on how to NON-DESTRUCTIVELY remove the plastic under-dash panels?

Thanks!

OK, so I’ve got my Tekonsha brake controller, and am ready to start the hunt for the under-dash connector plugged into the dummy port. Before I go destroying anything in the process of removing plastic, does anybody havce any tips on how to NON-DESTRUCTIVELY remove the plastic under-dash panels?

Thanks!

Photos and details on this thread helped me.

Trailer Brake Controller Connector

Looks like @weaselox beat me to it. Must be a good thread!

Thanks guys. Fingers crossed I don't break off any of the tabs this weekend when I pull those covers off...

Running the RedArc controller in the Expedition Overland 200 Series, installation was cake in fact we did it in a hotel parking lot in Chile :cool:

I can snap some pics in the morning. It does use the provided Toyota pigtail. I suppose they could make a true plug and play but it takes 5 minutes to connect the few wires. Hardest part is mounting the controller hidden under the dash and that is not tough either. If I end up towing much with my 200, it will now with a RedArc setup.

Running the RedArc controller in the Expedition Overland 200 Series, installation was cake in fact we did it in a hotel parking lot in Chile :cool:

I can snap some pics in the morning. It does use the provided Toyota pigtail. I suppose they could make a true plug and play but it takes 5 minutes to connect the few wires. Hardest part is mounting the controller hidden under the dash and that is not tough either. If I end up towing much with my 200, it will now with a RedArc setup.

Yeah, I'd like to see pics.

Has anyone used the Tekonsha wireless controller? It requires mounting a box to the trailer which is not feasible if you're pulling many different trailers. I will likely only pull one trailer with my 200, so I'm looking into this system for my vehicle and trailer.

Here the switch is. The module is small (4"x2"x1"?) and is hard mounted above the pedals, sorry no pics as I don't want to pull it back apart.

20171013_123359.jpg

Plug on back is a simple Cat5 style setup, cord is ~3ft long as I recall

While mounted in dash in looks like this, nice and clean.

20171013_123415.jpg

Here is an alternate mount in the Hema 200. This is a RHD 2011.
20171013_104050.jpg

It is just an adjustable dial, correct? Does it have a "push to activate" manual feature like the Tekonsha?

I have not towed with it. The vehicle is static display and cannot be operated on a US road. The dial does have a momentary push-in feature that temporarily back-lights the dial. I presume that would be manual brake application.

Thanks for the info Dan. Surely there is an exemption to drive and tow with these vehicles if it is done so to provide helpful research and info to the Mud community! :)

It is just an adjustable dial, correct? Does it have a "push to activate" manual feature like the Tekonsha?

Yes, it's a manual override feature. Press button to activate the brakes.

You can look over the manual here:

Tow-Pro Elite Electronic Brake Controller

I think $371 kangaroo bucks (or $290 freedom bucks) is a little steep but for the simplicity and compactness of the unit, it's not terribly priced.

Thanks for the info Dan. Surely there is an exemption to drive and tow with these vehicles if it is done so to provide helpful research and info to the Mud community! :)

Regrettably the EPA does not think like that...:crybaby:

Had to relocate my knob, it cleared my 6’1 legs but somehow my wife knocked it loose. Moved it up here.

I put in my brake controller today, went with a Reese compact unit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WX65YL/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wish i could have mounted it a bit higher, but the plastic clips were the limiting factor. If I didn't have every single switch blank in use that would also be a good place to put this one.

Full album of install: Brake controller

View attachment 1555765[/QUOTE

B7734C43-F805-4E2E-AD21-D85E889D1445.jpeg

Mud saves the day again. Waited for an hour for a local shop to install before they told me they couldn’t find the connection. Went and showed them the step by step on mud and saved the day. I mounted my IQ in the lower right. Not as slick as the Redarc but I’m happy with it. Thanks mud

48F4AA9B-491C-4F91-9F5F-C7B973F064CB.jpeg

EC709A59-0AE9-442F-A17A-44E81F68EADA.jpeg

@DPA200, mine is similar but on the left side.

I may eventually go with the Redarc. Occasionally I want to adjust the brakes - seems like when they warm up they are more sensitive than when cold and while mine normally work great when I've been in the city for a while they seem to warm up and then lock up easily. Adjusting the IQ requires me to lean and reach down, which is inconvenient if not also kind of unsafe.

Right side and used the two factory pre-drilled holes for 2 small screws. It’s on solid and my leg does not hit it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom