Andy's Taco build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, in the time that it took me to get the rear axle finished, my inspection expired. It failed the first time because the inspection station said the inner tie rod was bad.

I knew the play was there, but it is play in the rack. I replaced the inner and outer tie rods on both sides and it passed. I think they just looked at it and saw that I had replaced the parts.

While I was in there I realized my rack is worse than I thought. It has about 1/8" up and down play. In researching it on Tacomaworld, it seems that later 1st gen Tacos had a design improvement to the guides and you can swap in the better style if your rack is otherwise ok. I am going to try to replace this rather than go for a reman rack.

Here is the difference. The roller guide is the old style mine has.

rguide0012_70043d872ebd20f54b3caf2950aed3c1868cb055-jpg.1662760

Last edited:
Hoping to get just a little more life out if mine. Glad to hear your experience that it was worthwhile. I have about 1/8" play. We'll see!
Also. Energy suspension makes a rack bushing kit. It's not expensive,easy to in stall and will take some slop out of the bushings. One little tip. It comes with 2 size sleeves. Drill out the tightest one to fit the bolt.

Got tired of my inner fender rubber thingies flapping in the breeze.

These things really help in keeping the slop out of the engine bay. I cut them a little closer to the suspension than factory.

I made some templates out of underlayment foam used for laminate flooring until I got the shape right.

20171029_121410.jpg

20171029_145134.jpg

Found some clips that are a lot less frustrating than the factory clips.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LZ80AOB/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

31f1vHZi-iL._SL1500_.jpg

Did you use locktite?

Was going to ask the same thing :)

Loctite and proper torque are a big deal with those bolts. Our buddy Jeremy had those bolts fall out twice, once caused the front end to collapse and mess some parts up. We got him patched back up to get home from the trail, but some of the bolts fell out again on the trip home. Not sure what his final resolution was on that issue, possibly stretched threads were the culprit.

Was going to ask the same thing :)

Loctite and proper torque are a big deal with those bolts. Our buddy Jeremy had those bolts fall out twice, once caused the front end to collapse and mess some parts up. We got him patched back up to get home from the trail, but some of the bolts fell out again on the trip home. Not sure what his final resolution was on that issue, possibly stretched threads were the culprit.
All of them fell out in the middle of a NJ intersection!

All of them fell out in the middle of a NJ intersection!

To add to that, JT I agree with you stretched bolts was definitely a culprit however I think the damage was already done to the spindle side of the threads, ultimately I believe he needed new spindles as well. The problem with the aftermarket ball joints kits is the bolts supplied more then the joints themselves, I have run aftermarket ball joints for some time and have been fine, but I always use the factory bolts, locktite and correct torque.

Looks awesome!

HBD Andy :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom