I used a sledge hammer to kill a fly... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We use a USA made louvers made by "Salem Vents" and sold by MILLSUPLAY

Hingeless Steel 2-Way Vent | Mill Supply, Inc.

They look like this with 3 positions vents (backwards), closed (waterproof) and Air receiver (Forward)
lou.jpg
lou1.jpg

I was chatting with autoanything rep. he applied a small discount but the tax killed it :(
If anyone is interested, you can chat it up with Frank, he will apply a manual discount.

upload_2017-8-11_13-25-13.png

Much better price than I paid. Didn't think to shop it when I was buying. Just went to Poison Spider.. $143. and change.. plus $43. shipping! Very large box and well packaged. Still.. feeling like I left a lot of moolah on the table when I see the prices that have been found. Sheesh!!

Yep.. that sucks! However it is already sitting in my parts area awaiting me to caress it. One of my more brilliant blunders.. well not quite.. but it sure feels like it! A year from now.. or less.. the price will have been long forgotten as new blunders will have taken this ones place.

I like the louvers and believe in there functional feature but I'm a tad bit concerned about rainfall because this louver is directly above some important connections.

Most of those vents are fairly cowled so the bulk of it should run off. Beyond that I can't imagine it being anymore of an issue than driving through a puddle or stream and getting tons of spray up from the wheels. I've got water and mud marks on top of my air filter from just regular off roading.

You'd think with the people who have them if there was an issue it would be on here by now.

To the OP, can you give us the measurements of the louvered plate itself? I have some blemishes in my clear coat and this is by far the best solution I've seen. More cooling, cheap, looks cool. I'm just wondering if it's long enough to reach the clear coat rough spots furthest forward on my hood.
Nice solution to the windshield squirter issue, BTW. Very well done on the install, and I like that you did something new.

:clap:

Just measured the louvered panel and here are the measurements.

30.5" at the rear of the hood
20.5" at the front of the hood
34.625" overall length front to back

The width dimensions do not take into account the rear cutouts and rounded front corners. They are the effective measurements should the panel have been cut with distinct corners.

Also very nice powder coating work which I don't think you can get in anything except black. Of course it is available in raw aluminum for those that want a different color.

I'm not worried about the engine sucking in water during a rain, I'm concerned about electronics or spark plug wires shorting out due to water ON the engine. I managed to fill my spark plug tubes with water and they kept arcing out and misfiring.

Just because you have a snorkel doesn't mean your PETROL engine won't have an issue running in the water........ Most of the ones you see "swimming" are diesels.......

Why do people always assume that if it has a snorkel, “it must be made to run under water”? In truth..... more people use a snorkel in desert conditions. They move your air intake to your roofline instead of bumper height, that way your not sucking in the heavy dust from the vehicles in front of you.

To anyone that’s worried about water dripping onto electrical connections- you have a very valid point. I park outside, and when louvered if I left it parked for a couple of days during the rain I would open the hood, and I’d have puddles of water everywhere..... on top of intake (many electrical connections), IN spark plug wells (scary !!), plus all the wires would be soaked!
What I did to correct the problem, and it worked GREAT is exactly what Zonker is talking about. I made aluminum “drip pans” and used 1.5” spacers to stand them off my hood...... No more problems!
Yea.... if you garage your 80, and you take it out of the garage, and run down to “wherever” in the rain you’ll have no issues. But, try parking it in your driveway while there is a tropical storm dumping 4-6” of rain a day on you, and I’ll guarantee you there will be issues! Save yourself the headache..... make the drip pans at initial installation time.

Why do people always assume that if it has a snorkel, “it must be made to run under water”? In truth..... more people use a snorkel in desert conditions. They move your air intake to your roofline instead of bumper height, that way your not sucking in the heavy dust from the vehicles in front of you.

Damn, you've got some high bumpers!

Damn, you've got some high bumpers!

IDK what your mindset is, but 80 series air intake is about bumper height from the factory. That is why a lot of guys install snorkels..... to raise the air intake height. Not sure what the height of my bumpers has to do with the price of tea in China.

IDK what your mindset is, but 80 series air intake is about bumper height from the factory. That is why a lot of guys install snorkels..... to raise the air intake height. Not sure what the height of my bumpers has to do with the price of tea in China.
Uh, no they aren't. Look at your fender for the intake compared to the frame horns of a stock bumper and get back to us.

Uh, no they aren't. Look at your fender for the intake compared to the frame horns of a stock bumper and get back to us.
Ok... your right..... 8” off.

I know its not every ones style but it got the job done for me.. ordered some stainless louvers like they use on inboard motor boats.. sanded, etching primer and linered them.. you can watch the heat rise out of them in the summer.

BOAT VENT BILGE 4 LOUVER STAINLESS STEEL RARE MARINE | eBay

I don't know where your bumpers are, but my 80's air intake is just below the antenna. And a lot of guys install snorkels because they like the look. And then they make excuses about dust. The 18-20" they raise the 'intake' isn't making an appreciable difference.

I don't know where your bumpers are, but my 80's air intake is just below the antenna. And a lot of guys install snorkels because they like the look. And then they make excuses about dust. The 18-20" they raise the 'intake' isn't making an appreciable difference.
Chicks man, its about the chicks. They dig them. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom