Rear heater problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The rear heater on my '93 is not blowing. If I stick my fingers in the vent I feel heat and the fuse looks fine. What do I need to do to fix this?

Have you switched the rear heater switch to either HI or LOW? The rear fan operates separately from the front heater fan setting but the temperature control is common to both.

On mine the screen that keeps debris out of the blower intake was bent down and as a result had made contact with the fan and was keeping it from spinning. May be hard to check with the passenger seat in, once the seat is out though it is very easy to bend the screen back into place to resolve this issue, should you have it. Could be worth a check since it's easy to resolve.

On mine the screen that keeps debris out of the blower intake was bent down and as a result had made contact with the fan and was keeping it from spinning. May be hard to check with the passenger seat in, once the seat is out though it is very easy to bend the screen back into place to resolve this issue, should you have it. Could be worth a check since it's easy to resolve.
x2.

Pull the seat, then pull the cover off. It'll take 5 minutes.

..... the fuse looks fine. What do I need to do to fix this?

I'd check the fuse block and fan with a voltmeter, and swap out the fuse with a known good fuse, before I would begin unbolting stuff, since you mentioned this malfunctioned a year ago, and checking for juice is my first go to.. but that's me....

.....not sure what you meant by the fuse "looks" fine...

Relay is down there too, check the big wire for voltage. Switched voltage note, so only when key is on.

As mentioned, the relay is beneath the passenger seat, front side.

I have the rear heater and relay from my 93 ready to ship if needed.

This would be very possible. Thank you. :)

I'd check the fuse block and fan with a voltmeter, and swap out the fuse with a known good fuse, before I would begin unbolting stuff, since you mentioned this malfunctioned a year ago, and checking for juice is my first go to.. but that's me....

.....not sure what you meant by the fuse "looks" fine...
The wire in the fuse is unbroken and the fuse isn't discolored. I'll swap it with another tho. Thanks.

If it were me, I'd repair the front heater first. In the winter time it's kind of handy to be able to keep the inside of your windshield from fogging, or freezing up.

If it were me, I'd repair the front heater first. In the winter time it's kind of handy to be able to keep the inside of your windshield from fogging, or freezing up.
I'd love to fix the front heat first but I took it to a shop and they said the blend door is probably stuck so the dash would have to come out to fix it. That would be at least $700. I have a friend who has worked on the rig before who is thinking about whether he'd be willing to do the repair. He asked me to find out more about where the blend door is and how to access it. While I was trying to get that info the rear heater suddenly quit. I have a cheap plug-in heater I can use in front but the rear one has always put out a lot of heat.

To get to the blend door you do have to take the dash apart, and I'll be the first to tell you it's a pain in the ass. But since this is a safety item in the winter time, I'd bite the bullet, and get it done. If you don't already own a copy of the factory service manual, then that needs to be your next buy. It covers the complete job step, by step, to get to the blend door.

Sounds like the head gasket......

- @nukegoat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom