another "help me pick suspension" thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive been searching a ton, but I'm still scratching my head on what to do here. My LC is currently on original springs (170k miles) with some KYB gas-a-just shocks that the PO had put on.

The ride is fine I guess, but the rear springs are sagging really badly. I carry a Baja full length rack as well as a Tepui Ruggedized RTT on top at all times. The tent is about 175lbs and I would guess the rack is about 70lbs. I also keep a full sized 33" spare underneath.

So in normal daily driving mode I have 250+ lbs of extra weight on the thing, the tent and spare are mostly over the rear axle. It sags just with this much.

When I go camping, I put a pretty large Yeti cooler back there, as well as a few boxes of camping gear and a big water jug. I would estimate another 250-350lbs + a passenger. That's 500+ lbs including the tent and rack! Needless to say, the rig sags reeeally bad in this setup. Here's a couple of pics for reference:

Pretty loaded up:

wwVudfn.jpg

Just the rack and tent:

4RJ0gE1.jpg

A couple of disclaimers:

1) I daily drive this thing about 40 miles every day. She's my do everything vehicle for the time being.

2) I'm currently on 285/75/16s and I don't have any immediate interest in going larger. She's already slow enough!

3) I've never really felt that I was overdriving the suspension. The kind of trails I've done so far have been totally doable for the OEM flex. However, I do whack my tow hitch on rocks a lot since it sags so much.

4) I have plans to get an ARB front bumper within the next 6 months or so, so I need to factor the weight of that into my decision. Rear bumper would be nice, but given the cost that's a ways away.

5) I know a lot of people hate the stinkbug look, but I honestly wouldn't mind some mild stinkbug daily driving if it means I had more clearance in the back when I go on trips.

Now, I've been looking at the OME 861/862 setup for a couple of reasons. I like the fact that I can just buy springs and most likely use my KYB shocks. This doesn't hurt the wallet as much. I also think the 285s fit nicely with the stock height setup fro what I've seen in pictures. It also keeps the rig more drivable on a daily basis.

However, I'm worried that I'm going to sag just as much. Has anyone used them with the amount of weight I carry? I'm open to spring packers as well if it doesn't sacrifice the ride too much. I'm not really interested in dealing with air bags.

The other option is I just pony up and get the 2.5" setup. Biggest drawbacks of this are drivability and cost. By the time I get the caster bushings installed, new shocks, I'm probably looking at least $1200 or so which is a big difference. Probably won't be able to buy the ARB bumper any time spending that much.

I realize I'm beating a dead horse here, but what do you guys think is best for my application? I need to do something soon because the sag in the back is getting awful.

OME stock height suspension.

Keep it as low as possible for as big of size tire you want/will run.

RTT & gear up top means your COG gets dicey if you get a flexible set of coils & that rough weight of gear so high.

If you're doing armor of some sort, winch, etc - weight adders of whatever flavor, I'd factor that in too - honestly my 1st set of coils was the OME Heavies 2.5" kit on a bare 80 with a empty winch bumper, it was a fine ride. 33"s back then.

At worst it felt rough on washboard fire/DNR roads, but even with the springs if you roll slow offroad it was fine, really the rear axle does the flexing unless you really modify the FR susp, like 3-link, etc.

I would start with 862 springs in the rear. Then if the front looks too low, get 861 springs. Then you can add OME trim packers at either end to make small adjustments to level. Your shocks should be fine if they seem to be in good shape.

I run Old Man Emu stock height on my 94 with OEM shocks and 285/75/r16 tires. I like the stance, the height is just about perfect for a daily driver. If I had to do it over again I would call @David Otero of Dobinsons USA and have them send me a full set of there variable rate factory ride height springs or possibly their 2'' tapered wire spring due to the amount of travel it would gain. I run their 3'' springs on my 97 and I don't think you could convince me to go back to a single rate spring. On top of that ther prices are competitive with just about every other spring vendor in the market.

You can also call Mark at MetalTech, not far from you, and they can recommend something based on your current and future use. I recommend that since they helped me a lot to find the perfect set up for my situation. They carry Ironman too.

Hard to say at the moment. Depends how smart I want to be with my money!

It would be nice to stay closer to the $500 range rather than the $1000 range.

OME stock height suspension.

Definitely an option. Just curious how it will handle the weight.

I would start with 862 springs in the rear. Then if the front looks too low, get 861 springs. Then you can add OME trim packers at either end to make small adjustments to level. Your shocks should be fine if they seem to be in good shape.

Hm I didn't think of that. That would be a great way to stay affordable and meet my immediate needs. Have you done this? Does it not ride weird being way stiffer in the back than in the front?

I run Old Man Emu stock height on my 94 with OEM shocks and 285/75/r16 tires. I like the stance, the height is just about perfect for a daily driver. If I had to do it over again I would call @David Otero of Dobinsons USA and have them send me a full set of there variable rate factory ride height springs or possibly their 2'' tapered wire spring due to the amount of travel it would gain. I run their 3'' springs on my 97 and I don't think you could convince me to go back to a single rate spring. On top of that ther prices are competitive with just about every other spring vendor in the market.

Thanks for this! Just got off the phone with David. He's recommending their C59-222V and C59-223V progressive springs which are just shy of a 2" lift, no need for caster correction.

Those springs with shocks and a new steering damper is about $805 + shipping.

Definitely an interesting option. Just not the cheapest since I can't use my existing shocks.

You can also call Mark at MetalTech, not far from you, and they can recommend something based on your current and future use. I recommend that since they helped me a lot to find the perfect set up for my situation. They carry Ironman too.

Interesting. I'll look into them. How does Ironman stack up to OME?

What Mike wrote. Go 862 1st & see how it goes. You will like the dual rate of 170/250. Stock is 170 lbs for reference.

Daily driver; have OME stock height springs plus a 1 or 2cm ring on top, Toyota shocks, and TKO2 285s.

Perfect for me; 95% road, 5% beach driving.

I've run OME on my 92. I went with Tough Dog springs and shocks about a year ago on my 93. Went with their 2" lift with 41mm foam cell shocks. I couldn't be happier. I run 33" BFG All Terrains. I think it looks great and it rides excellent.

Speak with @reevesci. He's he US distributor for Tough Dog. They have a dual rate spring that sounds like it might be a good fit for you. I think @mervo put it on his rig recently as well.

What Mike wrote. Go 862 1st & see how it goes. You will like the dual rate of 170/250. Stock is 170 lbs for reference.

I'm leaning towards this as a temporary idea. That way I can take longer to decide on a full kit down the road. Has anyone done this? 862s with original front springs?

It just seems a bit odd since it will be so much stiffer in the back than in the front.

I'm leaning towards this as a temporary idea. That way I can take longer to decide on a full kit down the road. Has anyone done this? 862s with original front springs?

It just seems a bit odd since it will be so much stiffer in the back than in the front.

I drove for about a year with stock front springs + 1" spacer and 862 rear. It was fine. And that was with no extra weight in the rear.

You said you like your ride but squat in rear loaded & don't mind stinkbug. OME 862 coils will give an 1" of lift or less. They are as strong as a 863 coil that has a rate of 250lbs. Again an 862 is 170/260 lbs. 862s are only like $175 & can be easily resold if you don't like them. Just go for it, you will be happy with them like I was with mine when I had them. @sbman has them now & they work great with his RTT he has.
20160104_182424 (1).jpg
image-3619842704-1.jpg

Last edited:
I've run OME on my 92. I went with Tough Dog springs and shocks about a year ago on my 93. Went with their 2" lift with 41mm foam cell shocks. I couldn't be happier. I run 33" BFG All Terrains. I think it looks great and it rides excellent.

Speak with @reevesci. He's he US distributor for Tough Dog. They have a dual rate spring that sounds like it might be a good fit for you. I think @mervo put it on his rig recently as well.

Yup, you speak truths.

@riffman12 hit me up with any questions. I’d be happy to let you know my experience of the OME 2.5” medium vs the 3” Tough Dog constants.

As it currently sits with 1k ready for the weekend. No sag whatsoever.

image.jpg

the stock height will handle it no problem, i use my truck for scrap runs and have loaded up the truck with over 1500lb inside and it takes it just fine. compared to when i had the stock springs i would be driving on the bump stops loaded like that

thanks a ton guys. Dobinsons, OME 2.5, Tough Dog etc. all sound like great options down the road, but I think this will be a great affordable option for the time being.

Will I need coil spacers as well as the 862 for my setup do you think? Or just the spring?

I agree with @MikeB and @GW Nugget I started like you and have relifted my truck now 4 times changing springs as the truck changes. I’m now on TJM 50mm+ 20mm spacers in front and 864 + 30mm spacers in back. Just go super cheap with some 861/862 coils. They will handle the moderate weight to have added to the truck well.

Will I need coil spacers as well as the 862 for my setup do you think? Or just the spring?

i have the 1 in spacers and for me thats the right amount of lift, i can still lift the dirt bike onto the hauler with out a problem and theres enough room for the tires when the truck is flexed out. as a plus its not too much lift that you would need to do the castor correction bushings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom