Swapping rear springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the SSO conversion with FJ springs and 5100 shocks. If i wanted to swap springs to OME 895e, what steps must be taken just to swap out the springs? For reference, i have watched these Lowrange Offroad vids, which shows removal of several parts that I am not sure need removing for just a spring swap. Thanks in advance!

If the springs are longer, they will be a little more challenging than the FJ springs. A spring compressor would help, but might not be necessary. Just make sure to unbolt shocks and sway bar. Disconnect the abs wires from the axle so that you are not pulling on them any. Also, may be easier to take the SSO conversion off and slide the spring and the conversion back in together. Getting the spring in with the SSO kit on may be tough.

I have the SSO conversion with FJ springs and 5100 shocks. If i wanted to swap springs to OME 895e, what steps must be taken just to swap out the springs? For reference, i have watched these Lowrange Offroad vids, which shows removal of several parts that I am not sure need removing for just a spring swap. Thanks in advance!

I think the easiest way is to disconnect the bottom of the shock, put on spring compressors finger tight, the jack up the vehicle, put the frame on jackstands, let the axle back down and pull out the spring. Then you have to compress the new spring and put it back up. The new springs may need to be compressed a bit more. I've also had to disconnect the swaybay sometimes to get a little more droop on one side. The brake-lines/vents are the limit with the shocks disconnected - so watch that you don't force the axle too far.

Edit - I just watched the jack/axle method from the first video. I've done essentially the same thing and it can work pretty well - but watch the brake lines carefully!

thanks for the quick responses! Just deciding if this is a my garage vs someone else's garage moment.

I just did a rear spring conversion using SSO's kit and FJC springs, getting the bolt threaded into the nut on the SSO kit would be a nightmare with a spring in place!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom