Help with removal of a split case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SMG

Threads
So I searched for this subject and I'm not having any luck.

I have a 83 4Speed transmission with an attached split case that I need to remove.

I do not need the 4Speed but would like to save the split case for a later install onto my 76 40.

Does someone have a link or write-up on how to do this?
I want to make sure I have all the proper tooling before I begin.

Also, this trans/transfer combo is not installed and is currently on a cart in my garage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I hope you have a couple of hours to spend now. No special tools needed to take it apart, which you will need to
do in order remove the front half of the case from the trans. You will need to order new gaskets and stake nuts
at the very least. Take lots of pics of the 3 main gear assemblies as you take it apart. There are little shims that
need to go back exactly where you took them out. I think there is a video that Georg added to the end of the thread.

This would be a good time to decide how many miles on the case and whether a bearing rebuild is in order. It is
coming apart to that degree when you split it and remove all the parts. Get a large plastic tub with a lid, and keep
the parts in order.
Honestly, if you can keep the thing assembled until you need it that would be the best advice. As usual taking it apart is
an hour, but missing parts/where does that go? are forever.

some h55f and split case tech

easy to separate and store in a tote

the split case will not work on a 76 4 speed

True, I plan on using it with my NV4500 via Advanced Adapter.

Great Video! Should help tremendously.

Dumb question, How do I remove the front output shaft/gear/bearing from the front side of the case? I’m pretty sure it needs to be pressed out?

Anyone do this recently?

Thanks

C1F83261-BC0A-40E1-9E8B-2F17802BAB2B.jpeg

91791F7C-3A99-4C88-9BAE-788C4182DAF6.jpeg

remove front seal and oil slinger then knock the shaft out. Then remove the retaining ring and knock out the bearing from the inside out.

Thanks, I got the shaft and bearing out. I was really surprised how tight the shaft was into the bearing. At this point, I cleaned up the hafts and bagged all the parts. From what I can tell, all the gears and shafts look good. Now I just need to decide if I want to order a rebuild kit and swap out my single case.
Currently my single case is in really good shape so I may hold off for now or just put it up for sale.

Thanks for your help.
8463E0CB-019F-4DEC-9798-1D088EEC72C9.jpeg

Believe there is at least one person looking for a split trans case from a 83+ right now. Those have the provision for the fifth gear oiler. Unless you plan on a Orion case would buy a AA adapter for a split case and run this one.

Reactions: SMG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom