Parking Brake Dash lights not working 2017 LC200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just noticed that my
PARKING BRAKE DASH Light (P) is not turning ON whenever I pull on the handbrake.

The "Parking brake" itself works, but the dash light does not turn on when it is engaged.

PS. When it is in Ignition ON mode, the (P) parking light turns on.

Car is new and I remember there was a parking brake dash light before, but now it suddenly is not working

What could be the cause of this?
Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 12.30.47 AM.png

Thanks

It sounds like a switch problem. Although I am not sure exactly where the switch is. If it is new, this should be a warranty problem that your dealer should be able to fix fairly easily.

Thanks for the reply,

1. I changed my center screen unit to a bigger one. (Touch screen) but did not noticed if the parking brake dash light started to malfunction before or after the change.

2. Also the other day, I forgot the dis-engage the parking brake and mistakenly drove for a short distance (less than 50 meters).

could these be related to the malfunctioning of the dash light?
or maybe a broken fuse for the dash light? (where can I find the fuse location?)
Thanks

It sounds like a switch problem. Although I am not sure exactly where the switch is. If it is new, this should be a warranty problem that your dealer should be able to fix fairly easily.

1. I changed my center screen unit to a bigger one. (Touch screen) but did not noticed if the parking brake dash light started to malfunction before or after the change.

It would be nice to have some more info about this. Pics?

TIA

If my car moving with the parking break is up, the alarm will sound and let me know I have emergency break on.

Thanks for the reply,

2. Also the other day, I forgot the dis-engage the parking brake and mistakenly drove for a short distance (less than 50 meters).

or maybe a broken fuse for the dash light? (where can I find the fuse location?)
Thanks

There is no fuse for the dash light. We need more info about the old radio and the new one you replaced it with. There should be a switch in the handbrake lever that is activated when the handbrake is up and sends a ground signal to light up the warning light. Either there is a problem with the switch or the wires to and from it, or there was a mistake with wiring your radio (aftermarket radios have a wire that needs to be connected to the handbrake circuit to disable certain features while driving).

If my car moving with the parking break is up, the alarm will sound and let me know I have emergency break on.

If the OP's parking brake warning light isn't working, then the alarm will not work as well.

You could have a burnt out bulb, but I agree with the above statement that you would have heard the alarm if the switch was working.

If you changed out the multi-display, then yes, this could affect it, as the parking brake switch feeds into the ECU for that display to either inhibit or allow the playback of DVDs. Since this was modified, START THERE. Verify all of your wiring connections related back to the parking brake wiring. You will probably find either a loose connection or something not connected to the right spot.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply,

Thanks

Can you share pictures and more info on screen change? I see that you are in US so would be interested to know what you have done as not a big fan of current screen that comes with my 16LC

I'm guessing we'll never see any pics ... just sayin'

:censor:

I hate to be skeptical, but we may have been bamboozled. Hopefully, we're proven wrong.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but ... since May the OP has been asking a lot of questions about his 2017 LC - mostly "what if" type questions with never any conclusions - and not a single picture of his truck. Even the pic in the first post in this thread is a stock photo from somewhere, not a pic of his truck.

For me, this is a very annoying pattern of behavior :mad:

I don't log in here all the time so sorry for the late reply.
I'm not in the United States, so there is also a time difference. But I do have some distant relatives there in Cali.

This is my touch screen (photo below). almost 14 inches, the same screen installed in newer Dubai Land Cruisers. Running on Android. As far as I know, other Dubai Land cruisers use the smaller 12 inch touch screen and a slightly older version of android)

Been posting since May cause I'm already excited in planning the upgrades that I'll do to my car. So once the car comes out, already know what path am going to take.

In addition, the releasing of my car has also been delayed several months by the dealer, so just got my car very recently and this screen is my first mod, cause the original screen we have here is even "more basic/lower end" compared to the ones you guys have in there US.

PS. Edit to my Original post above: I checked the car while ago, and noticed now that even in accessory mode/ ignition mode, the (P) light is not turning on but (!) light is. Now that this happened, I'am now doubting myself whether there was a (P) light last time (after screen installation) or not.

But I'm sure though that the actual parking brake itself is working NOW. and 100% sure that (P) light was there the time I got the car from the dealer.

Could the dash light be burned out so fast? or is it really related to the screen? Cause if it is, then I would have schedule to get back to the shop that I had it installed in, and the screen itself took alot of hours to install. Wouldn't want to take it off unless absolutely necessary.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but ... since May the OP has been asking a lot of questions about his 2017 LC - mostly "what if" type questions with never any conclusions - and not a single picture of his truck. Even the pic in the first post in this thread is a stock photo from somewhere, not a pic of his truck.

For me, this is a very annoying pattern of behavior :mad:

IMG_6084.JPG

View attachment 1554010

Last edited:
Love the screen mode(very Tesla like). I got excited about your screen mode when saw your location in your profile as US. Looks like for in US again no cool mods from Toyota. Couple questions as I may try to procure abroad like I did with Push bar
- what is proximate cost of the unit?
- can in setting change units from km --> miles, Celsius --> Fahrenheit?

That IS a very cool screen! My original thought stands... Since the screen is the only mod you have done, my bets are that the parking brake light and the display / touch screen install are related. I'd suggest taking it back to the installer and let them troubleshoot the problem.

PS @LCStve - You may want to change your location to state where you really are so people on this board have a bit more information regarding your situation and will be a bit more patient.

Local Seller sold it to me around 1450 USD
he told me it came from Dubai

regarding the features:
Working:
High def screen, sensitive touch, acceptable, but not as sensitive or as sharp as iPad
1. Music
2. Bluetooth
3. Radio
4. DVD
5. Movie files, music files, photo files
6. Navigation
7. Phone mirroring link (a little delay though with apple air play)
8. 32 gb internal storage
9. Can transfer files thru Usb
10. Web browsing via connection from your phone's personal hotspot 4G/LTE
11. Can download any apps from google Playstore, basically its an android phone placed on your dash, Google, Youtube, Facebook, any web page etc.. etc..
12. Touch screen Air conditioning

Not yet working:
1. OBD - don't know if compatibility issues with our local unit, but its not showing on the screen ( the speed and rpm), seller still figuring it out
2. Camera - haven't installed yet but I was told it supports 360 bird's eye view
3. AUX - also not yet working, maybe the wiring

seller still checking it, he told me I was the first one whom he installed this so still unsure with things, so it took a very long installation time, had to remove the whole center part.

not sure if the units can be changed, cause only using it to play vids/ music and internet, but I think it probably can

overall quite happy with it cause screen is high def, and basic functions that I need works

Love the screen mode(very Tesla like). I got excited about your screen mode when saw your location in your profile as US. Looks like for in US again no cool mods from Toyota. Couple questions as I may try to procure abroad like I did with Push bar
- what is proximate cost of the unit?
- can in setting change units from km --> miles, Celsius --> Fahrenheit?

Last edited:
That IS a very cool screen! My original thought stands... Since the screen is the only mod you have done, my bets are that the parking brake light and the display / touch screen install are related. I'd suggest taking it back to the installer and let them troubleshoot the problem.

Yeah, I do hope its just a simple wiring mistake, or maybe a wire that wasnt connected and not something else, but would have to re-schedule it if we're going to remove the whole screen again. cause last time it took them a the whole day to install it, Local shop told me they're not familiar with the functions yet cause its quite new.

@LCStve, thanks for the pic and good luck troubleshooting your problems with the new display - it looks fantastic.

Also thank you for updating the location in your profile from USA to Asia - makes it easier to understand your screen mod since we do not get such mods here in the USA.

I'm sure you will find a lot of helpful info here in the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom