Comparing 4 door 70 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello 70 dudes.

I am starting to look into the purchase of a 4 door 70 series. Is there a break down or listing of the differences? For example, a PZJ 77 versus a LJ 78 ?

Thanks !

@GTSSportCoupe is the "go to" guy for all things LJ78 and @divemedic owns a PZJ77. They should be able to share their personal experiences with each vehicle.

Do not buy a PZJ77 with an auto trans. The weight of the additional doors combined with automatic transmission would likely make the truck too anemic for normal driving. Mine has a manual transmission and I have no issues maintaining highway speeds or keeping up with auto connected HZ engines. That said, if I had the option, I'd get the 1HZ over the 1PZ due to parts avalibility.

Do not buy a PZJ77 with an auto trans. The weight of the additional doors combined with automatic transmission would likely make the truck too anemic for normal driving. Mine has a manual transmission and I have no issues maintaining highway speeds or keeping up with auto connected HZ engines. That said, if I had the option, I'd get the 1HZ over the 1PZ due to parts avalibility.
thanks, @divemedic ... which are you refering to when you mention the 1HZ over the 1PZ?

The PZJ im looking at has a manual tranny.

1PZ and the 1HZ are literally the same except for the 1 lopped off cylinder for the 1PZ making it 5 cylinders vs. 6. They share almost every single component except for things that would make sense: valve cover gasket, valve cover itself, block, and drive belts-- IE things that make sense for them to be different

All consumables are the same; all timing components are the same; water pump, radiator, fan clutch, front axle and rear axle are all the same; transmissions are different between the 1PZ (R150F/R151F, depending on market) vs the 1HZ (H55F). The transfer cases will be the same basically as well (input gears will be different between the two since they have two different transmission possibilities).

Glow plugs and injectors are different, which makes complete sense and the IP will be different between the two as well.

That said, I would be quite happy with a 1PZ or a 1HZ. The auto tranny A440F is a complete s***box.

And all parts are quite readily available through normal supply lines in the US market if you know what you are doing.

Get a manual if you can.

Last edited:
@beno - You the man ! Thanks !

Basically search and read. The differences have been covered many times. My basic recommendation though is to stick with the five or six cylinder models (if buying 1990+).

Getting the four cylinder light duty models (LJ7x or KZJ7x) to run cool and powerful is a project in of it's self and not suited to most people. The older (pre 1990) four cylinder models with the 3B or 13BT are fine however.

If I absolutely wanted a four door, the HZJ77 with manual would be my choice. They seem to be quite common with the slushbox auto though.

If I absolutely wanted a four door, the HZJ77 with manual would be my choice. They seem to be quite common with the slushbox auto though.
Although I'll readily admit that the manual gearbox is preferable, my "complete s***box" is still shifting smoothly after 27+ years. With the addition of the right turbo and Intercooler, she'll scoot right down the highway. :)

Thanks for the info. Id rather a manual as well, but an auto LJ 78 came up locally.
Although I'll readily admit that the manual gearbox is preferable, my "complete s***box" is still shifting smoothly after 27+ years. With the addition of the right turbo and Intercooler, she'll scoot right down the highway. :)

Thanks for the info. Id rather a manual as well, but an auto LJ 78 came up locally.
Do your homework and buy the best one your budget allows. Good luck with your search.

If you don't do your own mechanical work, a *cheaper* LJ78 will quickly become more expensive than an HZJ77. I've managed to make my LJ78 pretty good for a decent price, because I can do my own work. Had I paid someone else to figure it all out I'd be broke by now.

If you're really serious about an LJ78, take a look at this thread. This is what you need to do to make them good. My LJ78 build thread... (not my thread, but all the same stuff I did).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom