New motor mounts install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jblueridge

SILVER Star
Threads
I want to replace my Bj74 mounts.
Do I simply use a jack to lift things up enough to swap these out one at a time?
Any secret snags or tricks?

Thanks.

I recently did mine in my 2L-TE and the only suggestion I can do other than what you haven't said is keep a CLOSE eye on the rad hoses and wires when your lifting the engine up. I had my top coolant hose pop off when I did my mounts...

Yeah, the studs on each mount is about 1" long so you need some space. It might release a
bit of leeway if you loosened the tcase mount as well. So the whole thing can shift with a bit less
stress. My .02

Because the "standoffs" that the mounts bolt onto were so rusty, I unbolted them from the block and brought the rubber mounts out with them. Then I realized that I could get the starter out. Starter rebuild (by pros) should be finished Monday.

I will be sure to check hoses and wiring for stress.

I see less vibration of the hood/bonnet.
I apparently crushed a metal vac line when I jacked the engine up to get some space.
Its the line that runs to the vacuum shutoff valve; it goes around the engine on the firewall side.
I put in a new line as a repair.

how did the motor mount swap pan out? Did you notice a big difference in vibrations?

When they get old they sometimes go soft, especially if they have been coated in engine oil. New mounts will make a difference, but probably not a big difference unless they are broken

Yeah at over $300 to replace all three wanted to see if anyone has noticed a differ nice in vibrations. Seems like it should at almost 30 years old.

I think Rosco nailed it!

No noticeable difference in vibration but possibly more of a jerk in the front end when you shut the motor off since the new ones are probably harder and transmit more energy to the frame.
(At least it seems that way on mine). My front end noticeably moves when I key the engine OFF.

Old Mount pictured below in the middle between the new mounts. It shrunk!
DFC6983E-72E9-4456-B819-259B6A30B6DF.jpeg

Turning the idling up takes away a lot of vibration. I used to borrow a friends HJ45, an old railways owned work vehicle. At low idle it was like an earthquake in the cab, but turn it up 100-200 rpm ,it was smooth as a RR

Turning the idling up takes away a lot of vibration. I used to borrow a friends HJ45, an old railways owned work vehicle. At low idle it was like an earthquake in the cab, but turn it up 100-200 rpm ,it was smooth as a RR

Mine is rough as heck on start up, but turn the AC on and it smooths right out until the engine's warm. Still gonna try to snag a set of motor mounts as I can see these becoming unobtainable and, like body mounts and bushings, go a long way to the car feeling "new" versus feeling like an old piece of junk.

Still gonna try to snag a set of motor mounts as I can see these becoming unobtainable

The B engines are still big in developing countries. I think the mounts will be around for quite awhile yet. Body mounts suit all 7* series and they are still in production

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom