100 series sleeping setup? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is a Great thread! Thanks to everyone who submitted these ideas and pictures.

I am thinking ventilation is a must when you do this. Can anyone tell us what arrangement you make for keeping the windows open and not getting bit by mosquitos all night? (Other than Deep Woods Off)

I imagine a piece of mosquito netting or window screen laid over the open sunroof with either magnets or some kind of frame with weatherstripping would work. Anybody figured out a way to also screen the rear louver vents so you could get some flow through ventilation on a hot night?

I have thought about that also but have not come up with a practical netting option. My solution
is to camp in dry areas away from standing water. As far as sleeping quarters (just me), I use a RTT
for most trips, but alternatively sleep inside. I have removed everything (including the brackets) behind the front seats and
have a 6'+ flat area which is very comfortable with a Thermarest pad.

This is a Great thread! Thanks to everyone who submitted these ideas and pictures.

I am thinking ventilation is a must when you do this. Can anyone tell us what arrangement you make for keeping the windows open and not getting bit by mosquitos all night? (Other than Deep Woods Off)

I imagine a piece of mosquito netting or window screen laid over the open sunroof with either magnets or some kind of frame with weatherstripping would work. Anybody figured out a way to also screen the rear louver vents so you could get some flow through ventilation on a hot night?

*Edited to add a link and pics of nets I found that perfectly fit*

Window sox. the regular rectangular window sox fit perfectly on a 100 series.

Amazon product ASIN B00Y85UM7O
IMG_20190706_092211614.jpg

IMG_20190706_092310591.jpg

IMG_20190721_201601231.jpg

Last edited:
Man, those look good. I bought some netting to tape on the door so I can leave the windows open but this is way better. I may return what I bought! Thanks for posting this.

IIRC I think @LandCruiserPhil had some for sale for the 100 series. Maybe he can post a link.

IIRC I think @LandCruiserPhil had some for sale for the 100 series. Maybe he can post a link.

Sorry no longer available:(
The screens in post #64 are for curved window and dont think you will be happy with the poor fit. You can find screens for rectangular windows but all that I looked at came up shy in length.

Here's my camping setup for the eclipse. Second row seat folded over with a blanket covering the gap and the absolutely awesome KISS drawers in the very back. I slept on top of the REI stratus sleeping pad which was pretty decent. My plan is to buy a full sized memory foam mattress and roll it up when not in use.
Gk4aP8v.jpg

This is what I built for sleeping. For ventilation I just crack the rear windows (takes a little finesse with the buttons). You can get like 1/4" and be perfectly fine. My alternative was window socks for the middle windows. Don't have a picture of them but I basically just sewed a sock out of tulle from WalMart. Fits over the whole door down to the bottom sash of the window. Then a dowel rod on the inside cut just slightly large than the width to force fit in, which keeps the one "loose" edge closed.

The sleeping platform worked fantastic in Colorado for the past two weeks. I also put my cooler behind the driver seat and put some 1/2-inch holes through the platform to run some straps with buckles--this is a safety thing. It keeps the cooler stable. Everything else is pretty much under the platform, which is bolted down so I consider that "safe" as I can reasonably make it.

I also bought a roll of Reflectix which I cut out in the shape of the inside of the windows. Just slightly large so the Reflectix is force fit around the perimeter. That helps a lot with privacy and sunlight (minimizes the greenhouse effect).

As far as sleeping goes, I bought a "full" sized foam mattress topper which is just a tad too wide but that's ok. Then my backpacking sleeping pad on top of that and any sort of blanket/down quilt/etc.

five.jpg

four.jpg

three.jpg

two.jpg

one.jpg

Cheap Wal-Mart cot with front leg removed. Thermarest on top of that. Works great.
View media item 59269

This is REALLY slick, did you just randomly pick up a cot at Walmart, any idea which one you nabbed? That looks like a perfect every-now-and-again solution. I really dig it thank you for sharing.

This is REALLY slick, did you just randomly pick up a cot at Walmart, any idea which one you nabbed? That looks like a perfect every-now-and-again solution. I really dig it thank you for sharing.

I think so. It's been so long ago, I don't remember.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gymax-Blue-Folding-Camping-Bed-Outdoor-Military-Cot-Sleeping/741342007

I used to sleep in my Jeep similar to the setup below. It's good for getting above all your stuff. The front of the cot is resting on the 'shoulders' of the front seats. If the third row seats are out, a support would be needed for the rear leg. I think a milk crate would be the right height, but I haven't tried it yet.
View media item 59275

I just finished my sleeping platform. The rear platform will stay in the truck most of the time. It is supported by 3/4" pipe in between plumbing flanges. The extra platform is only in when I'm sleeping. They are held together by two door hinge pins.

There's enough space underneath to fit our camping bins and coolers.

The platforms are 3/4" plywood on a 2x4 frame, then wrapped in carpet. The mattress is 3" memory foam cut to full size dimensions. I can just fit comfortably along with my wife and dog. I'm 6'1", she's 5'5", pooch is 60 lbs.

IMG_20170924_191324573.jpg

IMG_20170924_194012081.jpg

IMG_20170925_190853687.jpg

IMG_20170925_191318022.jpg

IMG_20170928_182611168.jpg

This is my design and is somewhat more complex and heavier than some of the simpler solutions above. It works pretty well for my use- it holds alot of gear securely in the two drawers, unfolds for 7+ feet (and about the full width of the interior), then folds back up into the cargo area (which means it can stay in the rig indefinitely) and still allows full use of the 2nd row seats. When I get the rooftop tent next summer, I'll take off the extensions and just use it for gear.

IMG_20160816_214806883.jpg

IMG_20150719_155549309.jpg

IMG_20150606_204300990.jpg

Nice looking platform. I've got an RTT and after getting drawers this summer I took the opportunity to try sleeping in the back. I liked it a lot. When I have my kid with me I'll most likely have the RTT but when I'm solo I'll stick to sleeping in the back. I found that with the 2nd row folded flat with the front seat slid forward and a pile of stuff between the second row and front seat I had enough length to be comfortable. (6'3" here.) The RTT is comfortable but it is still a hassle to open and close.

What you'll realize the first time you camp and try to sleep in the back is that even with drawers there will still be a bunch of "stuff" shuffling to get the platform clear for sleeping. It rained every day at HIH which was my first trip sleeping back there so I didn't want to leave things outside.

Nice setup! Do you have any build plans you could message me?
This is my design and is somewhat more complex and heavier than some of the simpler solutions above. It works pretty well for my use- it holds alot of gear securely in the two drawers, unfolds for 7+ feet (and about the full width of the interior), then folds back up into the cargo area (which means it can stay in the rig indefinitely) and still allows full use of the 2nd row seats. When I get the rooftop tent next summer, I'll take off the extensions and just use it for gear.

View attachment 1551334
View attachment 1551327
View attachment 1551332

I think this is my fave thread!:popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom