Builds Stiflers Hzj75rv Mild build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lets try again
Got some work done on the old girl,

old bumper out, surprising how little the bolts were rusted. easy peasy
IMG_20170902_163446.jpg

Naked buttocks
IMG_20170902_163442.jpg

running solo means engine hoist time!
IMG_20170902_175449.jpg
IMG_20170902_175454.jpg

Pretty damn sexy...
IMG_20170902_181450.jpg

Swingouts go on in the morning.....

Some little camping pics from last weekend. Took a trip to Boone. Stayed at the Julian Price Campground, absolutely going to stay there again. Quiet, right off the parkway, didnt get to take a whole lot of pics since the phone had no service and died a quick death. but....

IMG_20171007_172703.jpg

IMG_20171007_172723.jpg

So in the spirit of christmas and in case someone wins the lottery and wants to contribute to the build, the next big things that are being budgeted for are as follows.

1) Injection pump rebuild and Turbo install. Intercooled and limited to 10 PSI. Speaking to Rob from odd iron about this currently. Want to maintain a high degree of reliability, but need a tad bit more power, it really struggles to keep 65 when in rolling hills, its a little dangerous dropping down into the 50s when the speed limit is 70
2) Alucab Hercules pop top conversion.... ok4wd has the kits in stock. but its $$$$.... maybe one day
3) RV setup for the rear. @fireball i know we have been talking... and i cant wait.... ill reach out via email again to give an expectation on when... talked to the wife and shes onboard.

So in the spirit of christmas and in case someone wins the lottery and wants to contribute to the build, the next big things that are being budgeted for are as follows.

1) Injection pump rebuild and Turbo install. Intercooled and limited to 10 PSI. Speaking to Rob from odd iron about this currently. Want to maintain a high degree of reliability, but need a tad bit more power, it really struggles to keep 65 when in rolling hills, its a little dangerous dropping down into the 50s when the speed limit is 70
2) Alucab Hercules pop top conversion.... ok4wd has the kits in stock. but its $$$$.... maybe one day
3) RV setup for the rear. @fireball i know we have been talking... and i cant wait.... ill reach out via email again to give an expectation on when... talked to the wife and shes onboard.
We are very particular about who we allow into the State of Georgia so give me a little heads up before you head this way and I'll make a few calls on your behalf. :)

Keep the 1HZ as a 1HZ. If you want a turbo then a swap to 1HDT would be less headache and the cost would be comparable

i did not find the cost to be comparable. The 1hz in my rig is 182,000kms old (113k miles.) most of the hdts i found were 5k sitting at 300 + kms. 5k for the engine plus a rebuild, plus IP rebuild is a lot more than im looking to spend. If you can find me a <150k mile 1hdt that isnt 8+ k i would be forever in your debt.

Buy a 1HDT for 8K and sell your 1HZ for 5K. My turbo install cost me a lot more than 3K doing all the work myself and as long as its IDI it'll never be a 1HDT.

1HDT will also come with the manifold, dump pipe, cross over intake pipe, and turbo. On a 1HZ you have to buy this all separately along with gaskets. This I might add is only a few of the items required for a nice, clean, reliable install

Injectors have to be done for your turbo install and you mentioned your pump need a rebuild also, it'll need to be timed and a boost compensator installed too. Worse case on the 1HDT the pump needs tune and perhaps some seals.

Don't get me wrong, I love my turbocharged 1HZ in my HZJ77. I've put a lot of thought, time and money into it (its at the fabricators as we speak getting an intercooler built for it) but I'm past the point of no return. By the time you sell the 1HZ and buy and install the 1HDT you'll be further ahead in both cost and headache trying to get an engine to do something it was never designed for.

my .02

Buy a 1HDT for 8K and sell your 1HZ for 5K. My turbo install cost me a lot more than 3K doing all the work myself and as long as its IDI it'll never be a 1HDT.

1HDT will also come with the manifold, dump pipe, cross over intake pipe, and turbo. On a 1HZ you have to buy this all separately along with gaskets. This I might add is only a few of the items required for a nice, clean, reliable install

Injectors have to be done for your turbo install and you mentioned your pump need a rebuild also, it'll need to be timed and a boost compensator installed too. Worse case on the 1HDT the pump needs tune and perhaps some seals.

Don't get me wrong, I love my turbocharged 1HZ in my HZJ77. I've put a lot of thought, time and money into it (its at the fabricators as we speak getting an intercooler built for it) but I'm past the point of no return. By the time you sell the 1HZ and buy and install the 1HDT you'll be further ahead in both cost and headache trying to get an engine to do something it was never designed for.

my .02
No that is good advice, i must ponder more

my .02

Very good advise here. :clap:

If only they would be willing to even just consider rounding the corners and slanting the front etc a tad(to retain the classic Troopy looks a bit) ..... not unlike they did for the LR Defenders ....:rolleyes:

Reactions: flx
i did not find the cost to be comparable. The 1hz in my rig is 182,000kms old (113k miles.) most of the hdts i found were 5k sitting at 300 + kms. 5k for the engine plus a rebuild, plus IP rebuild is a lot more than im looking to spend. If you can find me a <150k mile 1hdt that isnt 8+ k i would be forever in your debt.
With the right turbo / Intercooler and the right guy doing the "tuning", the 1HZ really comes alive and the EGT's drop dramatically. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom