third break (in) - when it rains, it pours (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
when i bought my LX, it came with a key ring with 2 keys in good shape, one of which had the unlock buttons, the other had none. it also came with half of a third key, which also had buttons, but was broken in half - the metal part of the key that sticks in were missing.

because of the my previous 2 car debacles over the last week, when the one key that i had which had unlock buttons and was not broken/was still usable cracked in half last week; and the buttons inside fell out leaving a shell of a key fob with three empty holes ... i scoured my property to find the missing piece that had the buttons. I found it and once i put the key back together and put some duct tape on it, the car started for the first time in several days. I now realize it wasnt starting due to an immobilizer feature that i honestly didnt think existed in 1999.

That saga is depicted here: second break - please help

last night and with intentions of taking this to the lexus dealer today to buy at least one key that worked while i sorted a different solution to this, i decided to leave the broken key in my car. The other 1.5 keys (the valet key and the broken one) were also in the car but locked in a box in the back.

Last night my car and the neighbors car were broken into and, short story long, the thief took my wallet and the main keyring that had the key on it (with the buttons) that i have been using for months but is now cracked and barely holding together.

I called the lexus dealer to ask how much it would cost to re-key the car / replace the locks. $2000 for the parts alone.

Anyone have any suggestions as to ...well, anything else i can do that would deter someone that HAS a key to my car from opening it ? I am already parking at the neighbors.

longshot but thought i would ask.

thanks

IMG_0394.JPG

Call your insurance company to find out if you're covered for re-keying your truck based on the circumstances. Could be a comprehensive claim.

If the guy who took your keys and wallet has any better luck getting the truck started than you did, then wouldnt you suppose he's earned it? :grinpimp:

You need to get an old laptop to load techstream onto or find someone locally that has it.

Then buy some cheap compatible keys and self program them. I personally wouldn’t worry about the thief coming back but that’s me. It reminds me, I need to make a copy of my key!

I did see a machine at bed bath beyond the other day. You still your key in and it reads the transponder and the cut of the key. It’s $125 and they mail it to you within a couple days!

IMG_1189.PNG
No need to change the locks, all you need to do it get a new key off of Amazon, then have them cut and program the key and change the security code.

BUT odds are they are not coming back for your car, they got your wallet and the locked box which they assumed had valuables in it.

Now here are a few tips which you already learned the hard way...cars are NOT a secure place to leave your valuables, you can break a side window with a $.99 spark plug for a smash and grab, or you can buy a slim Jim and portable air back for $50 to break in silently.
Anything locked is going to be taken, if it's locked it has valuables.

If your other key is the master, you can unlink other transponder keys and remotes using Techstream (or the Lexus dealer.) They’ll still be able to enter the vehicle, but not drive away with it.

I’d put an aftermarket alarm on it. Whether they use the key in the door or the OEM fob, it will sound if not disarmed using the alarm’s fob.

My advice:

Tomorrow when you leave the house, look over each shoulder and up into the sky. See if there is a 'little black cloud' following you around. IF there is, go back in the house and stay there for 3 days. This will give the cloud time to dissipate.

Once the could has left , resume your repairs.

youre in NC? I just had a second transponder key made and programed by carolinakey in durham. they did a great job. pm me for details...

Eric, dude, once you get through this dilemma, I would seriously consider taking the truck in to someone for a complete inspection. Let them give you a breakdown of all recommended maintenance and needed repairs/service. Take that and post up asking for advice on what is most critical to address. From the MUD consensus, take their advice and start chipping away at the critical repairs.

You can start by searching the 100 series forum for some “baseline” threads and start your journey there.

You’ve had a run of bad luck, but many times we make our own luck, so now you need to improve your luck with some preemptive maintenance.

I really should have asked my question better. As they say in the software business, no solution is ever any better than the description of the problem itself.

OK so...

1. the thief definitely had plans, as of last night, to come back. In fact, as luck would have it for our criminal, both my car AND my neighbors car were unlocked last night (a very rare occurrence). The thief went in both cars, obviously went through both of our glove boxes and center consoles, etc. Obviously found the glock that my neighbor has in her glove box (yes i know how irresponsible it is to have an unlocked car with a gun in it) ... but then, basically pulled the plug on all of it, did his/her best to get everything he had drug out back into it's respective junk compartments, **locked both cars**, and made off with nothing but my car key and wallet. My guess is he was hoping that my neighbor wouldnt notice her things in disarray, car locked when it wasnt, and nothing missing. My wallet had 300 cash in it - cant turn that down, but can lock it up and try and make the owner think the car wasnt burgled and that i lost these items elsewhere.

OK and, item #2. i should have mentioned before is, I just put about 2500 bucks into stereo gear for my LX. Most of it easily removable. I am far more concerned about that stuff than i am immobilizing the vehicle - which i could successfully do with one of those club things and a dozen other ways. Actually i am concerned about both, but a car thief and a car burglar are vastly different animals - that much i know.

3. break ins happen in my neighborhood every night.

Security cameras yes but that is more postmortem than preventative and the thief has to be known or why would they care. That wouldnt stop most punk kids i dont think.

ALso, any electronic modification of the key isnt going to change the mechanical locks on the doors, right ? they are always going to open with the keys that came with the truck ...... if this is right, this is my main concern.

thanks everyone, big help.

a friend suggested dye packs and bear traps ... "both are available on amazon"

lolz

if break ins happen in your 'hood every night, why are you leaving your wallet in there? Thievery sucks but you're basically putting the Welcome mat out for these guys...

thank you vman07 i needed that bit of insight. hadn't occurred to me + as an android, normally my error rate is below 0.00005%

I had a viper alarm on my previous Supra (5701 I think?). That was an incredible alarm system. 2 Way paging, very accurate shock sensors meant you seriously couldn't lean against it without the pager going off. The alarm was LOUD. I am very confident that would solve your issue. They have nifty indicator lights you can put in the doors or dash to let thieves know you've got a system on the car. I realize this is all a more long term solution, but it would be very effective, IMO. If your neighborhood is bad enough that a blaring Viper alarm doesn't deter a thief... I'd focus on moving somewhere else in all seriousness.

For your audio gear, secure the sub/amps and keep them out of sight, remove faceplate on the deck. That's about all you can do. I have one of my platforms in the back that very neatly hides the sub/amp out of view. A blanket also works.

When you get that stuff figured out, check out my Titanium key fob shells to solve the very common broken OEM plastic issue.n The OEM ones always break.

Good luck, man, that's some crappy misfortune. Sucks to lose the master key, but at least you didn't lose a Glock to a thief.

i think im just going to run fishing line from the drive door handle to my toe, buy some 12 gauge blanks, and any time i get a tug just start blastin like crazy in my bedroom

i also cant find bear traps bigger than 6" ... is that a regulation or something ?

Eric, dude, once you get through this dilemma, I would seriously consider taking the truck in to someone for a complete inspection. Let them give you a breakdown of all recommended maintenance and needed repairs/service. Take that and post up asking for advice on what is most critical to address. From the MUD consensus, take their advice and start chipping away at the critical repairs.

You can start by searching the 100 series forum for some “baseline” threads and start your journey there.

You’ve had a run of bad luck, but many times we make our own luck, so now you need to improve your luck with some preemptive maintenance.

uhhh. ok ? actually post number 5 for me this week is going to include some about this. thanks Dwight S

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago, my brother installed a two-way Viper alarm for a guy that was into MMA. He wanted all of the flashing lights and sirens turned off, but wanted the fob to notify him when someone was messing with his car...

i think im just going to run fishing line from the drive door handle to my toe, buy some 12 gauge blanks, and any time i get a tug just start blastin like crazy in my bedroom

i also cant find bear traps bigger than 6" ... is that a regulation or something ?

uhhh. ok ? actually post number 5 for me this week is going to include some about this. thanks Dwight S

youre in NC? I just had a second transponder key made and programed by carolinakey in durham. they did a great job. pm me for details...

Dude ! CarolinaKey is literally walking distance from my house. i would have never, ever known that he was there if not for ih8mud and you. thanks bro. that guy isnt the cheapest but he definitely shoots straight.

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom