Just Saying Hello - New 80 Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone! First post. Picked up a 1993 FJ80 this past weekend. I am an ex-Jeep guy, and have NO IDEA what this is all about.

Rig is in pretty good shape, especially interior. 260k on the engine. Everything seems pretty decent, with a minor oil leak up front (seems common) and a strange vibration above 35 mph. I am thinking universal joints or driveline angles. I did not do the lift.

Plans are to hunt down an LS1 or diesel of some type and swap out the power plant. Budget has been set aside. Just gotta find a wrecked Yukon! LOL

Thanks!

Scott

37574688042_e77bc1090c_b.jpg

Welcome! First task is the crawl under the front end and check your nuts! Eight steering arm studs, four on each side, connecting the steering arms to the axle birf housings.

Once that’s done, you can focus on everything else.

Welcome! First task is the crawl under the front end and check your nuts! Eight steering arm studs, four on each side, connecting the steering arms to the axle birf housings.

Once that’s done, you can focus on everything else.

As a solution to the vibration? The PO just did a bunch of front end work, so maybe that's a GREAT spot to start. Thanks!!!! Also, any ideas on a good place for an OEM replacement front DS seatbelt in the brown??

As a solution to the vibration? The PO just did a bunch of front end work, so maybe that's a GREAT spot to start. Thanks!!!! Also, any ideas on a good place for an OEM replacement front DS seatbelt in the brown??
If you want gray, get a new one through the dealer for almost nothing. The brown is unobtanium - likely used or slavage only. Alternatively, there are a few accident repair companies that specialize in seatbelts.

If you want gray, get a new one through the dealer for almost nothing. The brown is unobtanium - likely used or slavage only. Alternatively, there are a few accident repair companies that specialize in seatbelts.

Thanks!!! Bummer about the brown, but oh well ;)

Welcome. I think every new owner has to deal with the driveline vibration as initiation. Lock the center dif and take one of the drive shafts off, go for a drive and see if the vibration is there still. Then do the other one. that usually shows where it is comeing from

Before you do any of that grease the U joints and put a couple pumps in the driveshaft, especially if they look dry. You can still get drive shafts from Toyota for not too much more than buying the OEM u joints and having someone install and balance the shaft.

Nice truck but those wheels got to go. :flipoff2:

Before you do any of that grease the U joints and put a couple pumps in the driveshaft, especially if they look dry. You can still get drive shafts from Toyota for not too much more than buying the OEM u joints and having someone install and balance the shaft.

Nice truck but those wheels got to go. :flipoff2:

Greased everything today, will take out for a drive later. Also, noticed the outer segment of the rear shaft was actually moving rearward as I greased the shaft. Assume this may alter the driveline angle?

You generally don't need more than 1-2 pumps maximum on the slip yoke. If it were me, I'd remove the zerk (6 or 8mm) and let the grease come out a bit. Maybe drive it up the driveway and back, and then put the zerk back on. U-joints you can go to town on. Every 80 I've owned had some sort of driveline vibe which was fixed by greasing the U-joints. Most of which do require a U-joint replacement to get rid of the vibe completely.

Other areas of vibration may come from other simple things like unbalanced tires, warped rotors and improperly torqued axle hub nuts, and mentioned before, the steering arm nuts (4 of which are visible on each side). Jack the front axle up and grab each front wheel from 12 and 6 and shake. If there's more than 1/4" or so of movement, you'll probably want to inspect your wheel bearings and hub nut. If you grab it from 9 and 3 o'clock and pull more than 1/4" of play, it could be tie rod ends.

You generally don't need more than 1-2 pumps maximum on the slip yoke. If it were me, I'd remove the zerk (6 or 8mm) and let the grease come out a bit. Maybe drive it up the driveway and back, and then put the zerk back on. U-joints you can go to town on. Every 80 I've owned had some sort of driveline vibe which was fixed by greasing the U-joints. Most of which do require a U-joint replacement to get rid of the vibe completely.

Other areas of vibration may come from other simple things like unbalanced tires, warped rotors and improperly torqued axle hub nuts, and mentioned before, the steering arm nuts (4 of which are visible on each side). Jack the front axle up and grab each front wheel from 12 and 6 and shake. If there's more than 1/4" or so of movement, you'll probably want to inspect your wheel bearings and hub nut. If you grab it from 9 and 3 o'clock and pull more than 1/4" of play, it could be tie rod ends.

Awesome. Thank you. Learning all about these Toyotas!

Can I ask what some front end stuff is?

1. Assume this is a power steering pump leak. How easy is the replace on this part? Pump started squealing this AM, so I topped it off.
36952334553_a446718b63_b.jpg

2. The steering bolts you guys mentioned...I assume they are the 4 in a grid, with the nuts facing downward? I put a socket on them and they were slightly loose. Is it OK to really torque on these? Assume they should not move at all. Also, the two outer ones, I could not get a socket on due to the dust shield. Assume tire, etc must be removed to tighten?
36952335273_d534610a53_b.jpg

3. What is this large nut/fitting in the center/right side facing the camera?
37623219601_bcd4afe7e7_b.jpg

THANK YOU ALL!!

Awesome call @midfat, sounds like those nuts were loose.

Make sure to check those periodically, lots of troubles (wheel assy fall off from sheared studs) if they get really loose. Keep an eye on them and never worry.

Toyot u joints are very stout but can only take so much if they have been run dry.
Your lift isn't so much that it would cause much vibration trouble IMO

Good luck, and welcome!

Awesome call @midfat, sounds like those nuts were loose.

Make sure to check those periodically, lots of troubles (wheel assy fall off from sheared studs) if they get really loose. Keep an eye on them and never worry.

Toyot u joints are very stout but can only take so much if they have been run dry.
Your lift isn't so much that it would cause much vibration trouble IMO

Good luck, and welcome!

Thanks again. It's fun learning a new vehicle platform (I knew the JK like the back of my hand) so appreciate the answers to my stupid questions.

Would those studs be worth applying some locktite to, seeing they are so crucial?

@ppc beat me to it and posted a thread I started for this. I had bad seat belts on a couple of my 80s and couldn't seem to find a decent used one. So I took a risk and it turned out great! I could not be happier. I highly recommend. The only downside is that it can take a week or so. If you don't have a spare set of belts laying around (everyone should!) then you will be without seat belts.

As for the locktite on the steering arm studs, No. The PO probably torqued them right but they weren't all the way seated. And a little driving and they settled in. Torque them, then check them periodically.

You will find that this group of people is the greatest group (albeit a little paranoid and obsessive at times). A few guys have had their steering arm studs shear off. Obviously this isn't a good thing, at all. A couple of guys have had wheel lugs shear off. Obviously this isn't a good thing either. Because of this, I carry a full set of spares of each in each of my 80s. Even though I've never had a loose one or any issues. But Daggumit! I'm prepared if I ever do!

There are some good guys up in your neck of the woods. Get to know them. @retrofive is up in Oregon. He knows a thing or two.

Thanks again. It's fun learning a new vehicle platform (I knew the JK like the back of my hand) so appreciate the answers to my stupid questions.

Would those studs be worth applying some locktite to, seeing they are so crucial?
Looking at the pic of your steering arm studs, it looks like you have gear oil seeping from between the steering arm and birf housing, as well as around the front inner steering stud. If the threads have been penetrated with oil, you need to be vigilant about checking they are tight - and start preparing yourself for the first real right of passage for Land Cruiser 80 ownership - the front axle overhaul. I'd bet money your inner seal is blown and you have soup in that birf. Don't panic, just don't wait years to address the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom