Jason’s offroad adventure trailer build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have wanted to build a simple trailer dedicated to containing all my camping gear for several years, nothing fancy just something ready to go when I am.
But my personality doesn’t work that way, keeping things simple just doesn’t happen, I tend to over complicate stuff, get big plans in my mind and soon things are out of budget or more so my abilities.
However a few weeks ago I spotted this little trailer and the gears immediately started turning.
My plan had always been to build something completely from scratch so I could have exactly what I wanted in the end. Starting with a pre established platform is going to create some challenges but also allow for a few things that I hadn’t planned for.
Okay so the starting point.
7B00269F-95CE-47CC-9E07-5B639759BAA1.jpeg

A4AA1F35-A6B4-40F3-9DE0-DB42C47C32BD.jpeg

It’s a 4x6, a little small for some of my plans but I think I can make it work.

So to get things started, I wanted to get the track width closer to to my tow rig (3rd gen 4runner or FJ Cruiser), also obviously getting it up off the ground a little bit.

8486857A-0597-4F7B-B135-868098051CDE.jpeg
49F11D4F-D140-4B68-A928-133A3C31F5F2.jpeg

I am planning on running a coil spring suspension, I know the base I’m starting with is not built the best so offering the softest ride I can is going to be a big part.
Picked up some some steel for this as well as a couple other projects in the works.
A3072395-BB50-4E44-930F-F8834B883053.jpeg

Started out by temporarily widening the existing axle and mocking everything up at ride height.

The fact that I cannot simply flip the frame upside down to work, take measurements etc is proving to be a challenge, hence the mock up situation.
I have toyed with several different ideas for the coil suspension, from just linking the axle to independent suspension. In the end I have decided to go independent.
Not my photo “actually someone else here on mud” I found it in a random search, but something very similar to this is what I have planned.
D99944B0-E408-466E-8F8D-ADD8B4C46446.png

I would have thought that little black trailer behind it would be a likely candidate. Bulk it up, new suspension, load bars, roof top tent...

I have actually considered that exact idea. The issue in my mind was, I could simply build the frame I wanted from scratch for what it would take to build off that one.
Second, a RTT is not an option for me, the price for entry for one has always been a hold up for me even starting a trailer build, and my wife refuses to consider using one, and I have no place to store one when no in use. With this little enclosed trailer I plan to make a sleeping area inside, it’s going to be be cramped and not as roomy as a RTT but it should work for my needs.
And that little trailer gets used for to many other fun things ;)

CAC51097-ECE5-458F-B7E9-F754A32408BC.jpeg
Finally got a chance to start on the suspension. Still have some finishing up to do (capping the ends of tubing etc) and then to get everything put in place. I’m planning to run air shocks or a simple coil over setup, still working that out, opinions and or advice is welcome.

Gusset out towards the wheel hub as much as tire clearance and wheel back-spacing will allow.

In the pics you linked above those shocks are pert near useless as they're laid over so far that their effectiveness circled the drain some time ago. Stand yours as upright as possible, even if that means pulling them out from under the trailer and putting them between the side wall of the trailer and the tire.

Gusset out towards the wheel hub as much as tire clearance and wheel back-spacing will allow.

In the pics you linked above those shocks are pert near useless as they're laid over so far that their effectiveness circled the drain some time ago. Stand yours as upright as possible, even if that means pulling them out from under the trailer and putting them between the side wall of the trailer and the tire.

Check and check, I’m also thinking I need to keep the shock/spring as out board as much as possible to try and keep the load on the hub and alleviate twist on the arm.

Jason, how have I missed this little build. This is going to be an awesome little trailer. Will be checking in to see how it progresses.

Jason, how have I missed this little build. This is going to be an awesome little trailer. Will be checking in to see how it progresses.

@jynx its going to be a really long process from the looks of it so far.

I also wanted to back bone the frame so I got that tacked in as well.
View attachment 1552252[/

What do you mean by back bone the trailer?

I may not be using the proper term for this but what I mean by it is I ran one piece of 2x2 tubing tongue to tail with a receiver on the tail as a recovery point of sorts if I ever need to pull both trailer and tow rig backwards.

How's this build going? Been looking for a trailer like this forever. Love the size.

At a snails pace at the moment, work has been crazy the past couple months, but I’ve been gathering a few bits and pieces as I can and plan to hopefully get it moving along again in the next month or so.

I managed to get a little time in on this thing, nothing pic worthy.
I wasn’t happy with how what will be the passenger side swing arm turned out, so I cut it apart and started over, I had put that one together first and corrected the issues I had while building the second one. I also started boxing the swing arm mounts and some other busy work.
I’m honestly second guessing my ability to get this suspension setup properly and frankly I’m dragging my feet because of it, I need to just get busy and get it done.

By no means permanent, but I need my shop for another project so I just tacked everything together.
I do finally have a plan for getting everything squared up so it will track properly, hopefully I can get back on it soon.
09D40B96-5D41-41F6-BC1A-0F5C4E640D8A.jpeg
AEAF7623-B710-4020-892A-A1AF52A6A602.jpeg
9A5AA657-D616-4258-A081-D817BCC41B19.jpeg
1793833C-3F40-4578-A0AA-6718AC03DF04.jpeg
4F4E618E-6980-4F7E-A8DD-1CC1E6000F64.jpeg

Looking good!

May is suggest one thing... Clean all the old steel where you are welding down to clean shiney metal. Welding Your new steel to rusty scaled steel isn't going to last as long or be near as strong as clean metal to clean metal. I would buy one of those 3m rust remover wheels for a grinder and just keep it handy. I use it to remove mill scale from new steel as well as cleaning up rustier stuff from my scrap pile.

Other than that, add gussets as close to the hub and in each corner of the swing arms and you're looking good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom