Stolen (and recovered) BJ70 Nor Cal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, sh*t. The worst case happened, insurance company totaled the rig. So my uber-clean, 4 month old (to me) rig now goes to salvage title, and an immediate financial loss. Such is the way of the world, I'm trying to not cry into my cereal.

The value the insurer is putting on the truck could be better, could be worse. I will contest it, but don't have much hope in that process. By my math, it doesn't make ANY financial sense to buy it back from the Ins company and fix it myself. There is too much to do for my my current shoplesss, driveway less position. I can't stand the idea of the Ins company selling this beautiful bj70 on the general market.

So...anyone in the US (western us preferred) interested in a super clean, bj70 with a salvage title for a steal?

You've all seen the rig: Garth on here posted it here. I bought it for 19k. 87 bj70 with a turbo, otherwise stock. New paint, some wheel arch rust. No other rust. Interior in very good condition. Dash in great condition, well mostly. Motor super strong. Transmission a little grumbly in 2nd and occasionally pops out of 5th

The thieves: took all rims, left it on the drums. Bashed up ignition switch and all steering wheel plastic around it. Took stereo and batteries. That's it. Probably 3-4k retail to get her running as was before theft. 2k in parts?

I'll post a classified tomorrow if I can (laptop in the shop too). Can send many pics and details via email. I'm in Northern California sf Bay Area. I've talked to Gary and mudrak about the the truck before and will see if he is interested. Can help with transportation (either with wheels and batteries and driveable) or not skidded onto a flatbed.

Sigh. Such a bummer.

Well, sh*t. The worst case happened, insurance company totaled the rig. So my uber-clean, 4 month old (to me) rig now goes to salvage title, and an immediate financial loss. Such is the way of the world, I'm trying to not cry into my cereal.

The value the insurer is putting on the truck could be better, could be worse. I will contest it, but don't have much hope in that process. By my math, it doesn't make ANY financial sense to buy it back from the Ins company and fix it myself. There is too much to do for my my current shoplesss, driveway less position. I can't stand the idea of the Ins company selling this beautiful bj70 on the general market.

So...anyone in the US (western us preferred) interested in a super clean, bj70 with a salvage title for a steal?

You've all seen the rig: Garth on here posted it here. I bought it for 19k. 87 bj70 with a turbo, otherwise stock. New paint, some wheel arch rust. No other rust. Interior in very good condition. Dash in great condition, well mostly. Motor super strong. Transmission a little grumbly in 2nd and occasionally pops out of 5th

The thieves: took all rims, left it on the drums. Bashed up ignition switch and all steering wheel plastic around it. Took stereo and batteries. That's it. Probably 3-4k retail to get her running as was before theft. 2k in parts?

I'll post a classified tomorrow if I can (laptop in the shop too). Can send many pics and details via email. I'm in Northern California sf Bay Area. I've talked to Gary and mudrak about the the truck before and will see if he is interested. Can help with transportation (either with wheels and batteries and driveable) or not skidded onto a flatbed.

Sigh. Such a bummer.

Well that sucks. Sorry to hear this.

I have some rims and tires to donate to the cause and give the girl her dignity back! I am in the Bay Area, peninsula area.

Pm sent

Well, bought her back from insurance, and got her home. The 16" Tacoma steel wheels I found for cheap on CL got her on the trailer, but not enough room to clear the tie rods, so she barely rolls. Will need to track down another set or go new stock. We will see.

Got the new batteries and wiring sorted...looks like it needs a new starter--solenoid engages but no starter movement, smoke coming out of solenoid.

Time to talk to the parts man! :)

Last edited:
Good for you. I rebuilt a BJ74 which was rolled from a salvage title.
Grey interior? Post a pic of control column. Is the ignition tumbler from the column totalled or reusable? How is the body?

Good for you. I rebuilt a BJ74 which was rolled from a salvage title.
Grey interior? Post a pic of control column. Is the ignition tumbler from the column totalled or reusable? How is the body?

I was glad to get it out of the yard where they had 49,000 wrecked, repo'd or totaled cars. 49k! I unfortunately will have to sell it, but want it to go a cruiser head... and want to get it drivable first so that someone know what they are getting. It's super clean. Body and interior are great, little bit of rust on rear wheel well arch. Fresh paint and trim. Interior is really clean except for the steering column which they knackered.

First is to get wheels that fit, then a starter to start, then ignition. Might sell with simple push button, or might replace the column bits. TBD

Ignition.JPG

There are similarities between 60’s and the LH 70’s. you might find common parts as far as steering column housing and bits and pieces. I’m not home for a couple of weeks, or I’d go and check for you, I have some parts from a couple of wrecks.
Any old style 6 bolt wheels will fit, stay away from Tacoma and newer forerunner wheels, back space is not right. Nothing more than 4” back space.
Sorry about your truck, I can’t imagine if it was me. :mad:
Is getting it rebuilt and inspected a deal breaker? Need that catalytic converters I suppose.

There are similarities between 60’s and the LH 70’s. you might find common parts as far as steering column housing and bits and pieces. I’m not home for a couple of weeks, or I’d go and check for you, I have some parts from a couple of wrecks.
Any old style 6 bolt wheels will fit, stay away from Tacoma and newer forerunner wheels, back space is not right. Nothing more than 4” back space.
Sorry about your truck, I can’t imagine if it was me. :mad:
Is getting it rebuilt and inspected a deal breaker? Need that catalytic converters I suppose.

The cylinders and the steering bracket are different between the 60 and 70 and between the early 70 and the later 70.

Dealing with this now with another client.

Amazing to find out the brown steering column cover is still available.

That one was mind boggling to me.

140DE920-0181-426C-B880-BCDA1663495E.jpeg

This is the correct steering bracket for the earlier 70 series rigs with the correct part supersession:

90AD0222-8B99-45AB-A700-4F6F667F5305.jpeg

So what is the cost for that new bracket? This isn't the first jacked steering column bracket
I've seen. It is the reason I moved out of Calgary though, tired of random vandalism to mine
and my room mates vehicles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom