what would you replace your TLC with ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I agree with what a lot of others have said and say go for a 100. You can always keep the 80 and relegate that to trail only detail while using the 100 for anything else/longer trips. There are a lot of really nice/already kitted out 100s for sale in the $15-20k range that sound like the perfect truck for you. All the cool gear without having to spend the time to buy/research/install it all. Good luck with whatever you go with. In a dream world I'd have my 100 and a Defender 130 Truck haha

I agree with what a lot of others have said and say go for a 100. You can always keep the 80 and relegate that to trail only detail while using the 100 for anything else/longer trips. There are a lot of really nice/already kitted out 100s for sale in the $15-20k range that sound like the perfect truck for you. All the cool gear without having to spend the time to buy/research/install it all. Good luck with whatever you go with. In a dream world I'd have my 100 and a Defender 130 Truck haha

Okay,
Let the heat roll on! I am ready to be flamed! I have more than one 4x4 to drive. My 97' FZJ80 is a daily driver. That I am slowly building up. My real wheeling rig is my 79' CJ7 built! And I mean built! Next is my 99' 2500 Dodge Cummings pickup. All of course are 4x4. I have an 8' six-PAC camper that goes in the back of the truck. Only weighs 1290 lbs with, water, propane, and ice ready to camp. And did I mention that I get 19-20 miles per gal. With the Cummings and a manual trans. With the camper on! Towing CJ7, with camper in bed of truck, still get 17+ gal. per mile. Truck has 3.55 gears, and I run 285/75/16s. Jeep, truck and camper for about 20k. There are other expedition rigs out there that work really well. Not saying our Toyotas don't work really well too!

Blood, Sweat and Gears. And another Land Cruiser

This is going to be blasphemy, so here goes.....

At this point in my life, i would probably switch out to a diesel pickup with a bed camper, or even an RV. I've done some amazing exploring and 4wheeling in my 80 series and loved every minute of it. But now, it would be nice to have more comfort, room, ect.

Getting old...

It's not that I don't love my Land Cruiser, it's the terrible gas mileage that makes me rethink things. Glad we do not pay the same gas prices that the rest of the world does!

and, like above it's not that i don't love my land cruiser, i do, but sometimes i don't want to live in a RTT for a week or two. I guess as i get older i enjoy the comforts more. It would be nice to park on a beach in baja for two weeks and have a little camper to really stay comfortable and out of the elements.

This is going to be blasphemy, so here goes.....

At this point in my life, i would probably switch out to a diesel pickup with a bed camper, or even an RV. I've done some amazing exploring and 4wheeling in my 80 series and loved every minute of it. But now, it would be nice to have more comfort, room, ect.

Getting old...

Diesel with a bed camper. I agree with you on this. 4x4 of course and one of the pop up campers.

Non popup if I was planing on light off roading. Pop up style if I was off roading more often, this includes forestry service/ fire roads.

I will do the RTT or a group tent for a few more years. But I agree with concretejungle on the camper.

If you have never had one, It is excellent. Nothing like a semi real bathroom, staying dry when it rains, heat, hot water (never had AC, that is what windows are for) and yet still rugged enough.

Last edited:
when i'm parked out on the outer banks for a long weekend and the wind is bowing hard, rain showers are a real possibility, mosquitoes, bugs, ect... i see the guys come down the beach with a diesel pick-up with a big bed camper in it and i'm jealous.

My little Six-PAC camper is great. I looked for a long time to find the cab over model that the camper that would fit in the bed of my full size truck with the tail gate closed! With ice in the ice box, 18 gallons of water, 5 gallons of propane, my camper weight is 1290 lbs. It is made for a 1/2 ton truck, so no problem with my 99' Cummings 2500, 4x4 with the manual trans. I like a hard sided camper in cold weather and also feel safer in Bear country! Six -PAC is owned now by Four Wheel Campers. As long as there are no low over head branches and the like, it is light enough that I can 4 wheel into some ruff roads to get some nice camping spots away from the crowds.

I sold my built CJ7. I now have a new to me overlanding build going on! Again not a Toyota!! It is a 95' Jeep Cherokee XJ, with a 617 Mercedes Benz, 5 cylinder turbo diesel motor in it. Made of German parts, but built in America! Just like me! How does 35-40 miles to the gallon sound?

I have always dreamed of a UNIMOG, I'd add it to the fleet far before I REPLACED my LX450.

Eyeballing smaller pick up platforms: specifically the Colorado ZR2-w/Diesel; not to replace my 100 series just yet, but to replace my 1500 RAM. Ford is bringing the Ranger back in a similar platform to the Colorado, but its a few years behind GM in development which has given GM time to refine, and the aftermarket to develop a ton of accessory options. Both new platforms of the Ranger & Colorado have been in use in the Aussie market for a couple of years now and have proven to be capable trail rigs. But GM is well ahead of Ford in this segment in the US, and has plowed a ton of R&D in to the ZR2 platform to position it ahead of its closest competitor.

Colorado ZR2 is the direct competitor to the Tacoma TRD Pro, but ZR2 comes standard with front & rear electric lockers, remote reservoir shocks and diesel option. I like the diesel torque and fuel efficiency in a smaller-narrower trail friendly platform over a full size truck. If its actually as reliable as owners have been reporting, it might bridge the gap between my two vehicles. I need to drive one with the deisel powerplant. I like the Taco's but the ergo's dont fit me all that well and no diesel option.

If Toyota would offer the Tacoma in diesel, and improve the front row ergo's it would be my first choice, but I think GM has thrown down the gauntlet and brought a competitive option. Flame on-

Prior to my 100 series I used a All Wheel Drive Astro van. I had no complaints, just build a trap door for when the fuel pump fails.

160807_joe_hay_rim_050.jpg
IMG_20160729_171043902.jpg

ZR2 with the baby Dmax really has my attention.
Eyeballing smaller pick up platforms: specifically the Colorado ZR2-w/Diesel; not to replace my 100 series just yet, but to replace my 1500 RAM. Ford is bringing the Ranger back in a similar platform to the Colorado, but its a few years behind GM in development which has given GM time to refine, and the aftermarket to develop a ton of accessory options. Both new platforms of the Ranger & Colorado have been in use in the Aussie market for a couple of years now and have proven to be capable trail rigs. But GM is well ahead of Ford in this segment in the US, and has plowed a ton of R&D in to the ZR2 platform to position it ahead of its closest competitor.

Colorado ZR2 is the direct competitor to the Tacoma TRD Pro, but ZR2 comes standard with front & rear electric lockers, remote reservoir shocks and diesel option. I like the diesel torque and fuel efficiency in a smaller-narrower trail friendly platform over a full size truck. If its actually as reliable as owners have been reporting, it might bridge the gap between my two vehicles. I need to drive one with the deisel powerplant. I like the Taco's but the ergo's dont fit me all that well and no diesel option.

If Toyota would offer the Tacoma in diesel, and improve the front row ergo's it would be my first choice, but I think GM has thrown down the gauntlet and brought a competitive option. Flame on-

Keep driving your 80 until you can afford a 100 with an A750F and relatively low mileage. Drive that for 10 years and then swap out to a 200.

Easier said than done.
I was trying to find an 03-07 100 series with the same or (preferably) lower miles than my 08 Tacoma (130,000).
I couldn't find one that was reasonably priced.

I decided to build my Tacoma instead, drive that for another 10 years and then revisit with either a late 200 series or what ever the replacement for the 200 will be (should be coming out soon?).

and, like above it's not that i don't love my land cruiser, i do, but sometimes i don't want to live in a RTT for a week or two. I guess as i get older i enjoy the comforts more. It would be nice to park on a beach in baja for two weeks and have a little camper to really stay comfortable and out of the elements.
What you need then is one of these bad boys!!
DSCF1838.JPG
DSCF1847.JPG
DSCF1842.JPG
DSCF1846.JPG

The last thing I would replace my cruiesr with is a 4runner or Tacoma, they are just too small and cheap felling for me. If I had an older cruiser I would get a LC200 or LX570.

images

Pinzgauer!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom