Club CB channel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Being new, I'm not sure if this has come up before or not? I was wondering if there's a "designated" club CB channel? When I'm out and about town I tend to have my CB on and scanning channels just for the heck of it (you hear some interesting things at times!). The other day in traffic, TC spotted me and waved. It would have been cool to just jump on the radio and be able to say "Hey, what's up? Where ya headed?, etc.). Not two minutes after that, I spotted another member and would have liked to done the same thing. So I guess it's really two questions....

1. Is there a designated channel?
2. How many people keep their radios on when they're out and around town?

Just curious what radio and antenna did you install? I have a Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB with a Firestik Firefly antenna.

I got the Midland 75-822 because it is not a vehicle only one. It has an adaptor to be used as a vehicle radio with a mounted antenna or I can switch to a battery pack and stubby antenna for walking around with it. I like the dash slots available for storage as well. I am running an old antenna that my dad has laying around, just a 4' fiberglass one, could be fire stick but didn't actually look. In my one test I was out a quarter mile or so and my dad could hear my loud and clear.

My radio is only on for trail rides. As far as which channel, we will usually get on whatever has the least chatter. I use the firestik firefly as well. Seemed Like the obivious choice to stand up to abuse. So if you see me out and want to say hi, don't try to radio me, text me...it's 2017.

Bringing this thread back to life. I'm moving to Bozeman on Friday and am curious about whether the club uses Ham or CB more? The tlca club where I am uses Ham because the repeater network here in Colorado, the clarity and range is so much better! I have my technician license for Ham and have both Ham and CB in the truck but haven't had my CB working for two years(snapped my antenna off). Should I get the CB working again or are you more of a Ham crowd? I'm going to try and make one of the trail rides 2 weekends out and would like to be able to communicate on the trail.

Thanks,

Johnny

CB is a basic requirement for participating in the trail rides. To my knowledge, there's only a small number of members that have ham in their vehicle in addition to CB, but rarely used. If I'm wrong on that, I'm sure one of the other members whose been here longer than me can correct me.

Thanks @RoverChris I Just looked at the bylaws and it confirmed what you said. Looks like a CB is a requirement for trail rides. Time to get it working again...

@JohnnyOshow22
This reminded me i need to look into that..is your CO ham licence good in MT or do you have to renew it? just curious, because they are issued by the state right?

So your ham license is distributed by the FCC. Doesn't matter where you are or where you get your license. The only thing that will be designated by area is the single # in your callsign the FCC assigns to you. My call sign is KK0TEQ. The 0 designates the area that you are from and the areas cover more than one state. I forget all what 0 covers but Colorado is part of it. If you talk to someone say kk6wry (my dad) you'll know he is a west coaster since that is area 6. I forget exactly but I think my license is good for 5 years and is good nation wide

Last edited:
good for 10 yrs, mt. is 7. there is a reciprocal agreement with canada so we can operate there. also most other nations we can operate in with a permit. lots of info on the web Ron kc7pev

good for 10 yrs, mt. is 7. there is a reciprocal agreement with canada so we can operate there. also most other nations we can operate in with a permit. lots of info on the web Ron kc7pev
Thanks for adding that @elkun1! @ttFJC there are also different levels of ham licenses. Technician, General and Extra. You start as a technician and then you can test to get your General then extra. You get new perks with each one. An extra could talk around the world where as a technician is likely only going to use it for trail runs. Does anyone know if there is a Ham club here in Bozeman? If there was enough interest we could probably set up a test for the club with them. My last TLCA club did that with the local ham club and the cost was like $15 each and a lot of members did it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom