What did you do on your 70 series today? (37 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Boxes

20170923_162915.jpg

20170923_105400.jpg

20170923_163016.jpg

20170923_164513.jpg

Summer is over, and the final finishing is complete now. I rebuild this from a salvage title. Got some convertible doors for
summer fun but knew that a lot more needed to be done to get it complete. I ended up with a donor truck with a bad driveline
but good doors, roof, bumper etc.
So here it is. Next will be paint, but due to catastrophic failures of my 12HT alternator and transmission in my 60 in the Yukon,
money for paint is a spring thing now, unfortunately. But I did manage to get all the electric doors windows, locks and mirrors
working today and installed and my new to me rear cargo box. Ready for winter anyhow. The new F5 wheels from Stealth
Custom are 17x9 3.5" BS. Another trial of my Yukon trip, 1/2" BS makes a lot of difference it turns out. They won't fit my 60 so
the 74 gets new shoes, and best tires there is. From this:

IMG_3207.JPG

To this:

IMG_3738.JPG
IMG_3770.JPG
IMG_3771.JPG
IMG_3773.JPG

BTW, I need a LH side mirror, elec for a BJ74 if anyone has one in working condition.
Just cant' seem to find one. I have an extra RH elec mirror, but seems the LH sides keep getting destroyed....

Last edited:
Made them small enough too stack in the cab if need be and qick and simple too chuck on and off... burned and clear coated the ply just too be different...lost interest halfway thru the job and rushed too the finnish but i like them and they dont look store bought.ha ha

View attachment 1542268

Hey Mohawk - I love your truck, and I get the look youre going for on those boxes. You might want to try getting some coal tar - it's easiest to get at your local farm/feed store as Hoof Dressing - it's just a thick, gooey tar that does a wonderful job putting a good dark hard wearing, water resistant stain on all sorts of exterior wood like those boxes. You can also try natural pine tar - a different product, little harder to find, smells fantastic, but similar in color.

It'll give you the same color without burning, and with more weather resistance.

Hey Mohawk - I love your truck, and I get the look youre going for on those boxes. You might want to try getting some coal tar - it's easiest to get at your local farm/feed store as Hoof Dressing - it's just a thick, gooey tar that does a wonderful job putting a good dark hard wearing, water resistant stain on all sorts of exterior wood like those boxes. You can also try natural pine tar - a different product, little harder to find, smells fantastic, but similar in color.

It'll give you the same color without burning, and with more weather resistance.
Thanks mate , i can think of a few uses for somthing like that..... Im likeing how its coming together too , It stands out from all the shiny new utes coverd in 4x4 supermarket extras that are cluttering our local roads ...

Hello,

I changed the fusible links on the FZJ73.

FZJ73 9.11.17 7.JPG

An important thing to consider if you have a gasoline/petrol Land Cruiser. Replacement part number is 82610-60060, but it has been discontinued for my neck of the woods.

However, it is possible to use fusible links for diesel engines. Part number is 82627-60020, and it is available from eBay Australia or, in my case, the local Toyota parts guy.

FZJ73 9.11.17 2.JPG

The difference between this part and the discontinued one is the terminals. 82627-60020 has three, whereas 82610-60060 has two. The cylindrical connector in the middle appears to have no use in a gasoline engine. I am curious to see what it connects to in a diesel engine, though.

This is what was left of the original links. PO hack for a couple of spotlights. That installation is now gone for good.

FZJ73 9.11.17 3.JPG

Battery terminal cleaned with the new fusible links.

FZJ73 9.11.17 5a.JPG

The engine fires up a little faster now. I guess I reduced cranking time in 0.1 seconds and voltage losses in 0.1 V; I probably got an extra 0.1 HP of power as well... :hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly:

Juan

I forgot to mention I did manage to swap out the coolant overflow reservoir with an OEM unit from ebay. I was told this part is discontinued so I was pretty fortunate to find it as it must have been sitting on a shelf somewhere in Australia where it shipped from.

Took a quick road-trip to Moab to mountain bike, averaged 18 mpg, flogged it along at about 75 mph for 9 hours each way. Put my roll-a-cot in the back, worked out well.

P1050763.JPG

Weather was a bit 'unsettled', this was not in the forecast when I last looked...dog enjoyed the water though. Glad I didn't camp in a 'dry' wash as everything was flowing for abut an hour.
P1050838.JPG

Camp.

P1050851.JPG

P1050852.JPG

And a museum visit.:)

Yes, and a nice visit at a very cool museum. I almost stopped by on my way back through today.

Love the patina

P1050782.JPG

Sweet graphics.

P1050774.JPG

I like the well-used specimens.

P1050768.JPG

the little things...

remote mounted the FT-7800 head with a $14 eBay chinese remote kit, and added a Gear Keeper retractable mic hanger.
Ram mount off the Oh **** bar. Been using the same set up on my HDJ81 and really like it.
37471949762_9256a68ca2_c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom