BJ74 snorkel options (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
sorry guys, the search function is nearly useless these days and I am looking for options for a snorkel for my 88 BJ74. Suggestions please? TIA

Safari Snorkels

IMG_3781.JPG

I pieced together all the needed pieces for an OEM setup on my 89 BJ74 with 13bt.

It is currently untested, but it looks cool!

050.JPG

I pieced together all the needed pieces for an OEM setup on my 89 BJ74 with 13bt.

It is currently untested, but it looks cool!

View attachment 1547656

Did you have to silicone all the components together when you installed it? The OEM set up doesn't seem very water tight from what I see on mine.

more info might help. rhd/lhd. engine. do you want factory or aftermarket?

Sorry, 88 BJ74 rhd with 13BT. Aftermarket is fine if it has reasonable quality. It's a 29 year old truck after all. :)

The Safari snorkels are not cheap but mine was fitted 12 years ago by the PO and has spent many days exposed to the hot sun. It still looks new.
You can silicon the Toyota snorkel but you can never be sure it wont leak water.

Did you have to silicone all the components together when you installed it? The OEM set up doesn't seem very water tight from what I see on mine.

It was intended for dust protection only.

Pretty sure that part is still available.

I thought they were just to look cool.

Which is pretty much why most people have them. This and my last Landcruiser had Safari snorkels fitted, but I wouldn't have fitted them.
On the RHD model, the snorkel partially obscures your vision out the RH window enough to hide a bicycle 15 metres away.

There is someone selling these "landcruiser" snorkels on aussie ebay for $135 aud . They look like the Toyota snorkel. This design is probably 30+ years old now and I think international patents are only good for 25 or 30 years.

s-l500.jpg

Pretty sure that part is still available.

They actually are; I changed my Safari Snorkel for the OEM set-up using all part numbers from a 2006 HZJ78 (air filter canister, plates, ducts and cap). It will be difficult to measure the bolts' spots and fender intake hole though; I had a troopy available at the time and made the job a lot easier. Had all the nuts welded in the bodywork but you can also just drill the holes and place rivetted nuts.

As many said; it's not a water-tight setup. It was supposed to provide protection from dusty environments and really does its work; together with the cyclone cap and cyclone air filter, the small dust can from the filter canister hardly ever gets filled.

Ping me if you need the part numbers.

Which is pretty much why most people have them. This and my last Landcruiser had Safari snorkels fitted, but I wouldn't have fitted them.
On the RHD model, the snorkel partially obscures your vision out the RH window enough to hide a bicycle 15 metres away.

Same here..I would have not fitted one on mine.

There is someone selling these "landcruiser" snorkels on aussie ebay for $135 aud . They look like the Toyota snorkel. This design is probably 30+ years old now and I think international patents are only good for 25 or 30 years.

I fitted a eBay one to my troopy. I went with the one that looks just like stock, but is one piece instead of having that joint there. Fit well and it was cheap. I wouldn't trust it for deep water, but for dust it works great.

Untitled by CA18 Sean, on Flickr

Is that a Western Australian number plate?

I expect water crossings in the future so a one piece is preferable. ca8sean, what makes you say you wouldn't trust it in water? One piece and sound connections should suffice, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom