Long Ranger Aux Fuel Tank Group Buy technical discussion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am in for a 90L as I said in the other thread. Thanks for doing this

I like the 70L option - curious how far it drops the spare for clearance (it's my second spare (Baja survival) to the swing-out spare). Regardless, if price break is good I'm good being the California test dummy.

Based on my Tembo experience for the peeps considering a Long Ranger, I would suggest figuring out a way to keep the Aux and Main isolated except for the fuel transfer point from the AUX to the Main. Resulting two separate and isolated filling points and paths, leave the OEM alone and add a second fill point for the AUX- Eyeballing it you could source a second OEM fill neck and with not a lot of work fit into the current fuel door. Ending up with the OEM and AUX sitting next to each other. The duel fill setup of the long ranger will cause issues with the OEM EVAP as it will introduce a leak into the EVAP system.

Got to love solid wifi on cross-country flights it gives one time to catch up on mud.

Based on my Tembo experience for the peeps considering a Long Ranger, I would suggest figuring out a way to keep the Aux and Main isolated except for the fuel transfer point from the AUX to the Main. Resulting two separate and isolated filling points and paths, leave the OEM alone and add a second fill point for the AUX- Eyeballing it you could source a second OEM fill neck and with not a lot of work fit into the current fuel door. Ending up with the OEM and AUX sitting next to each other. The duel fill setup of the long ranger will cause issues with the OEM EVAP as it will introduce a leak into the EVAP system.

Got to love solid wifi on cross-country flights it gives one time to catch up on mud.

I believe that's how it is setup. It comes with a dual filler. Unless I'm reading your post wrong

the-longranger-200-series-fit-kit-IMG-9286.jpg

toyota-landcruiser-200-series-long-ranger-auxiliary-4wd-accessories-dual-filler-panel-DSC06153.jpg

As you see in the above photo the two fill paths are linked at the point the nozzle enters, hence the tanks are linked; they need to be separated, two gas caps, two fuel filling paths one to each tank. Linking the two fuel tanks the OEM evap will try to pressure and vacuum test the volume of the OEM tank and fuel filling lines plus the Aux tank and fueling lines- it will time out and throw a code. The fuel transfer pump should serve as one-way valve/check valve of sorts separating the tanks at the point of fuel transfer.
The US petrol spec has an active evap system that goes through a robust selftest and certification.

Make Sense?

As you see in the above photo the two fill paths are linked at the point the nozzle enters, hence the tanks are linked; they need to be separated, two gas caps, two fuel filling paths one to each tank. Linking the two fuel tanks the OEM evap will try to pressure and vacuum test the volume of the OEM tank and fuel filling lines plus the Aux tank and fueling lines- it will time out and throw a code. The fuel transfer pump should serve as one-way valve/check valve of sorts separating the tanks at the point of fuel transfer.
The US petrol spec has an active evap system that goes through a robust selftest and certification.

Make Sense?

Interesting. How is your aux tank routed? Where is the vent line going?

Last edited:
Hmmm. now I am torn between the two options

The Tembo vents into the OEM, I see where you are heading-

I definitely see what you're saying. The LR would be bridged at the filler neck but that should be similar to vent line being T'd on your Tembo. I think? Unless there's some check valve situation going on with yours to keep it sealed. In which case the LR would throw codes unless the LR user had a second separate filler neck.

There's a thread over on the FJ forum with a guy running a LRA tank who wasn't throwing codes for several months then all of a sudden started throwing codes. Perhaps the OEM carbon can got overpowered after all that time and all that fuel. The LR comes with an additional carbon can so that might alleviate the issue.

Maybe I'll buy a tank on my own and be a test bed. I don't want a bunch of people buying tanks without knowing what they're getting into. I'm open to the idea of a dual filler though, it would only take some minor fab work.

I'm interested in the 70L tank. I have LRA tanks in my 80, one of the biggest expenses was air freight and it was the same price for shipping one tank or two tanks. If everyone is ok with waiting a little longer, sea freight is cheaper. I have a relationship with LRA and can get a discount with them, but it looks like everyone is more interested in the Long Ranger options. Their 90L high clearance tank looks nice. Add me to the list.

I'm interested in the 70L tank. I have LRA tanks in my 80, one of the biggest expenses was air freight and it was the same price for shipping one tank or two tanks. If everyone is ok with waiting a little longer, sea freight is cheaper. I have a relationship with LRA and can get a discount with them, but it looks like everyone is more interested in the Long Ranger options. Their 90L high clearance tank looks nice. Add me to the list.

Cool, added. I'm in no rush so sea works for me.

I also added some disclaimers in the initial post about potentially throwing the occasional evap code.

I changed the title since it is more of a technical discussion and group buy specific threads are supposed to be in the classifies. We can discuss and go over the options etc

I am very interested in coming up with a LR US spec 90L kit as well for my 200. It would help if LR could supply the metric hose/fittings/clamps for extending our evap canister into the wheel well. It is hard to source that stuff in the US. Also, maybe they could supply a bracket for the evap canister relocation.
I wonder if the computer can be tricked into allowing more time for the startup fuel pressure test to allow for the extra volume on the LR tank.

Also, see this previous post:
Larger fuel tank

Last edited:
I like @Forrest Murphy's suggestion to avoid evap code issues. Two separate tanks, and have the transfer pump dump fuel from the aux tank into the main tank with a one-way check valve. If there's no evap checks on the aux tank then when the main tank pressure tests it will pass, and the aux tank won't open the check valve except when dumping fuel. Side benefit is that you can choose to just refill your main tank for driving around town, and only fill the aux tank (and carry the extra weight) when you travel. I assume the aux tank would require a charcoal canister if it's completely separate though, otherwise any vapor would get "dumped" into the main tank during expansion.

I was thinking along the same lines, just need to define a safe place for a second fuel filler inlet

What would be good to know if the bracket made in Forests thread for the Canister will work in both applications. If so maybe we get some of those made and as a first step move that as it is a requirement for either option

I like @Forrest Murphy's suggestion to avoid evap code issues. Two separate tanks, and have the transfer pump dump fuel from the aux tank into the main tank with a one-way check valve. If there's no evap checks on the aux tank then when the main tank pressure tests it will pass, and the aux tank won't open the check valve except when dumping fuel. Side benefit is that you can choose to just refill your main tank for driving around town, and only fill the aux tank (and carry the extra weight) when you travel. I assume the aux tank would require a charcoal canister if it's completely separate though, otherwise any vapor would get "dumped" into the main tank during expansion.

This is how it's setup. Both Forrest's and LR's setup links the tanks via the vent line. So if he isn't having codes, the LR shouldn't either as it's the same config but with a pump and the pump 'should' act as a check valve for evap pressurization.

The LR comes with an additional carbon can that's to be run, in line, with the stock carbon can to help with the added. See the last page of the installation PDF.

I was thinking along the same lines, just need to define a safe place for a second fuel filler inlet

The best place would be on the LH side of the vehicle, where a fuel door belongs on a US truck!

;)

What would be good to know if the bracket made in Forests thread for the Canister will work in both applications. If so maybe we get some of those made and as a first step move that as it is a requirement for either option

I believe the LR carbon can is mounted where Forrest's shop placed his OEM one. I could be wrong though. There's a fair bit of room farther towards the front of the vehicle but you'd have to do some wire/hose splicing (not a huge deal) to make it work.

The best place would be on the LH side of the vehicle, where a fuel door belongs on a US truck!

;)

I spent some time yesterday researching this. There's room in the stock filler door area for two gas fillers but it would need to be a custom job. I plan on running the stock LR dual filler unless it starts popping codes on the regular.

But that won't really fix anything as the tanks are still linked via the vent tube. You'd have to find a solution for that first. Venting into the atmosphere like a lawn mower isn't ideal for several reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom