100's with aftermarket wheels? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wish I could still find those Volks, they apparently discontinued the Large PCD fitments in smaller diameters (<18").

Sam

I bought a 5th one for the spare a few days ago in the Emirate just north of Dubai. 400 AED = 115 USD. It was new in the box. I think they had more stock.

At that price, it could not have been a real Rays Volk. That's about right for the replica wheels, which are readily available.

Sam

All I can say is that it came in a Rays Wheels box, with stickers and so on. It looked genuine to me.

I wish I could still find those Volks, they apparently discontinued the Large PCD fitments in smaller diameters (<18").

Sam
I see 16x8 zero offset as available in Volks Summer 2017 catalog.
Dropbox - RAYS-2017-Summer-Catalog.pdf

The 16x7 25mm offset might be available too.
Mackin Industries » TE37X Progressive Model

volks.jpg

Last edited:
Both of those are the "truck" style 37X with flat spoke face, not the 37 with curved spokes as shown in John's photo.

The last mentions I find of "new" TE37 curved spoke wheels available were TE37RV back in around 2005-2006, I've not been able to find old catalogs to see what exact fitments were available and when they were discontinued. I'm going off what a couple dealers have told me regarding model name and discontinued status; there's also the possibility that the fitments I'm thinking of (16", 5x150) never actually existed in a TE37 curved spoke and the photos I've seen were all replicas.

A forum member has the 37X on his LC here:
Wait is over, got my wheels! Volk TE37x!

Also 37X:
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/1e/23/eb/1e23eb82addf92ffd57f48ed65214c27--lexus-lx-jdm.jpg

Couple more photos of each type on Cruisers here (first is 37X, second and third are 37):
Wheels and tires!

The large PCD 37 is currently available from 18" and up, seen here:
Wheels and tires!

Sam

Hi Sam, that's interesting and helpful. And I also like the curved spokes much better. I think the one I just bought might be old stock. My friend (who bought the original 4) and I had to drive all over Sharjah (the emirate (state/province) just north of Dubai to find it. You see that sometimes here. I continue to think they were genuine Rays but time will tell. Hopefully they are!

... there's also the possibility that the fitments I'm thinking of (16", 5x150) never actually existed in a TE37 curved spoke and the photos I've seen were all replicas.
That would be my bet... you are chasing a wheel that was never offered by Rays Engineering.

Added:
Rays Wheels website March 2006 (using the internet archives)....

Volk.jpg

Clicked on TE37 Large PCD and these are the only sizes shown:

Volk3.jpg

@John Young I don't believe Rays offered their TE37 Large PCD in ANY 17" wheel.

Last edited:
With the recent detective work on this thread, I gave up my search and just ordered a set of the 37X, at $570 each. Hope to get them within 6 months.

Sam

I'm in the process of painting my 1998 LC100. The shop suggested I look at painting the Rays Wheels rims--perhaps the same color as the body. Here are two images--as the truck stands today, and a bad photoshop of the truck with painted rims.
full

full

Any opinions out there? Here's what Dhanno looks like now (in the middle of repaint):
full

I'm inclined to leave the factory finish on the wheels.

Got mine from Kamispeed, compared a couple dealers and they were most competitive, though that was influenced by local tax. If you're not in AZ, check out Vivid Racing, they may be cheaper.

Sam

I'm in the process of painting my 1998 LC100. The shop suggested I look at painting the Rays Wheels rims--perhaps the same color as the body. Here are two images--as the truck stands today, and a bad photoshop of the truck with painted rims.

Any opinions out there? Here's what Dhanno looks like now (in the middle of repaint):

I'm inclined to leave the factory finish on the wheels.

I'd paint them!

I'd paint them!

I ended up doing it, kind of by accident. I told the foreman not to paint the rims, but the message had not gotten to the shop floor and they had already started to sand, so I went with the flow. Here's the result. What do you think?
full

full

that looks great matching, love the color!

I bought a 5th one for the spare a few days ago in the Emirate just north of Dubai. 400 AED = 115 USD. It was new in the box. I think they had more stock.

Hi John, where exactly was this? I'm in Dubai and looking for new wheels. Cheers

Ran Lexus LX wheels (came with rig), switched to Tundra SR5 (best looking stock wheel in my opinion) and now have aftermarket Vision Rockers in the brand new Anthracite finish.

43989615-773C-4809-ABFC-9E23E825AD15.jpeg

240DF538-E75A-4A52-9E85-5BB31F64154C.jpeg

2C592742-13A3-4AA8-8A9E-1FD74197DA4F.jpeg

Hi John, where exactly was this? I'm in Dubai and looking for new wheels. Cheers
Hi BA,
Unfortunately I can't quite remember. That day we went into something like six wheel shops before finding one that had the Rays. I remember it was on a North-South street. It might have been along this strip:

Google Maps

But I will ask my friend if he remembers. There are literally dozens of these wheel shops in Sharjah. One little additional fact: the 5th one that I bought had slightly larger opening at the center which prevented Dunlop from doing the balancing. I have no reason to think it is not a real Rays, but just be aware that not every shop can do the balancing.

Ran Lexus LX wheels (came with rig), switched to Tundra SR5 (best looking stock wheel in my opinion) and now have aftermarket Vision Rockers in the brand new Anthracite finish.

View attachment 1631554

View attachment 1631555

View attachment 1631556
What size vision rockers are those? Were you required to put any spacers on? I literally just created a thread about those wheels 5 minutes before seeing this pic, I guess my search skills are not great!
Those look awesome though! Great looking truck. I'm thinking about the 18's on my rig in that same finish, I think it'd look sharp on my black cruiser.

Horrible wheel picture but this is my recently acquired 2006 Cruiser with MB Wheels TKO's (Discount Tire Brand). 18x9" with offset of 25

xmiqnt.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom