Factory Roll Bar Install in a BJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.albertrodrigues.com
I recently purchased a used factory roll bar for a 79 BJ40. I would like to install it in the stock position with stock hardware. Does anyone have a schematic or pictures of a factory setup from above and below the wheel well? I'd like to know if the factory install included plates below the wheel well for added support of if bolts were welded to the underside of the tins.

The reason for installing the roll bar if so I can install three point seat belts and the rear belts for the jump seats. My BJ did not have any belts and I am considering purchasing CCOT's full aftermarket setup. I would also appreciate a picture of the factory mounting points for the seatbelts. It seems like my vehicle is also missing the factory bolt holes for the front seatbelt latch that bolts to the floor between seats.

Thanks in advance
albert@albertrodrigues.com

I did this same install. All I did was place it over the ribs in the vacinity from photos I found online. It seemed to place itself. You will need to add bracing as it’s not there like if it came with one. I still need to properly add it to mine still. I am using big fender washers at the moment. I’ll try to remember to take some photos when I get back home this evening.

Tom

I remember talking with a guy many years ago in this situation. He took the bar to a shop that made him plates to match the bolt pattern and welded nuts in. I think if the plate were thick enough you could just tap/thread it. The real trick will be to seal it against moisture/'rust.

Of course your truck already oozes 'character.'

Drive it over to the BBQ today. :idea:

If you're going to invite us all over, you'll need to give us a bit more notice ;) it'd be long over by the time I could get there.

I'd want to bring the 40 also... and it'll be a while before I can get the crossover pipe built and exhaust plumbed. Sometimes I wish I could just order a complete system for a Fj40 with a 72 SBC, Ram Horns (d/s turn back), and Man-A-Free auxiliary fuel tank.

Have a wheel well from a 78 I could look at but as I remember the main bar in the from went over a rib and the ones in the back while shaped to go over a rib just bolted to a flat section in between two ribs. Maybe this was just how it work in my 68 but don't think so. It easy to tell which rub to in the front and side to side and your set. Believe one of the vendors sold the bracket with the fixed nuts for the wheel well. I've just roved them for wrecked cruisers.

My 74 had remnants of supports for both front and rear supports on both sides. Best would be to build some frame tie ins... although perhaps overkill for a factory roll bar that'll get all bent up if 'used' :eek:

Have a wheel well from a 78 I could look at but as I remember the main bar in the from went over a rib and the ones in the back while shaped to go over a rib just bolted to a flat section in between two ribs. Maybe this was just how it work in my 68 but don't think so. It easy to tell which rub to in the front and side to side and your set. Believe one of the vendors sold the bracket with the fixed nuts for the wheel well. I've just roved them for wrecked cruisers.

Just confirmed the main bar goes over the front rib on the wheel well and back goes between the last and second to the rib.

My 74 had remnants of supports for both front and rear supports on both sides. Best would be to build some frame tie ins... although perhaps overkill for a factory roll bar that'll get all bent up if 'used' :eek:

I agree it would be overkill tying a factory roll bar to the frame.

Mark, sorry I missed you guys. I shot over late afternoon after my daughters' soccer games but the gates were all shut. We'll catch up soon.
Sorry we missed you Tom. BBQ was over by 2:30, and by 3 I had laid down for a nap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom