Long Ranger Aux Fuel Tank Group Buy technical discussion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
* I know there's a group buy section but if it's cool with the mods I'd like to keep it here to get more traffic and potential buyers since most 200 guys don't frequent the Group Buy forum *

I inquired to The Long Ranger about the price of their tanks and mentioned a possible group buy since a lot of people want more range for their 200. These tanks are distributed by ARB so they aren't some backyard contraption. There's a good amount of info on the website.

Toyota Landcruiser 200-Series | The Long Ranger

- 70L Retains Spare tire location, all others require spare relocation.

- 90L would double capacity to about 47 gallons (OEM 24gal plus Aux 23gal).

- 180L would basically triple the fuel capacity to about 72 gallons which will be about $190 to fill up :) Keep in mind that's about 450# in fuel plus the aux tank itself. So plan accordingly for suspension needs.

- These aren't plug and play tanks for USDM 200s. You'll at least need to relocate the OEM carbon can and possibly some other little tweaks. There's a possibility of occasionally throwing evap codes due to the system pressurizing the added volume of the tanks. Possibly the use a separate dual filler neck to fix that. I'd recommend having a code reader/clearer. I use a Bluetooth obdII reader and the Torque app on my tablet/phone. Total cost was under $20 for the app and scanner.

I'm not sure how many will be interested but I'm planning on getting one within the next couple of months either way. This is mostly just a feeler so I can give him a number of interested people so there isn't a deadline as of yet.

I know with group buys a lot of people say they're interested and end up dropping out, so if you're definitely interested, post up and I'll see what I can work out.

Install instructions from LR

ta65sp.pdf

Here's an email I got from The Long Ranger guy, Dave, in Australia regarding tank prices:

/////

Hi Tony,

Always looking for group buys - come back to me with some numbers and I will look at pricing - at the moment

70 L is $1620.00 AUD

90 L is $1690.00 AUD

180 L is $1760.00 AUD

Please note that these prices do not include any import duties / taxes or freight.

Dave

//////

And here's an email about shipping cost.
So worst case scenario, $1713 USD, shipped, for a 180L. Hopefully we can get that price down a fair bit doing the group thing.

//////

Hi Tony,

Freight comes down to how I package the pallet (s) - a single tank like the 180 L via seafreight usually costs about $420.00 AUD but with bulk tanks I can organise my own pallet size etc and work it out from there.

Dave

//////

And an email regarding tanks for other models/makes. You'll have to get with The Long Ranger for specific questions though:

Hi Tony,

Whatever we supply you can order - but please be aware that there are some tanks like the 100 series that are a replacement of the factory rear sub tank which did not come out in US models.

Dave

TonyP: 90L
Romer: 90L
RussBow6: 180L or 90L
Squirrel: 70L
AndrewP: 70L
LXNJ570: 70L
RS6tofj80: 90L
Tabraha: 70L
AG200: 70L
SteveJackson: 70L
Ali M: 90L

Last edited:
It's a great idea, and I'd love to have the extra range. The problem is I'm just never remote enough for extended periods of time to justify the cost, and I'd have to get a swingout rear bumper for the spare because I'd want the 90L tank. I'll watch this thread, but I'm not sure I'd be able to pull the trigger. Great idea and thanks for getting the conversation going!

My ideal setup would be a combined fuel/water tank + bumper with dual tire carriers. I've routinely started a trip with 3 jerry cans of fuel, a full tank, and finally arrived at a gas station with a quarter tank. The main issue with remote trails is having to turn around 200 miles in due to an impassable obstacle.

The additional weight is unfortunate for sure. The net weight gain would be the weight of the tank - the container weight of the 6 jerry cans I carry for water and fuel for remote trips. I'd probably look for other areas to reduce weight if I went this direction.

I'm interested to see how this plays out but can't pull the trigger yet. I need to explore options for dual tire carrier bumpers and also a shop that will do the install that will still meet CA smog standards. Ugh.

I'd be in if this was plug and play, but I find it difficult to risk evap/fuel/whatever codes on effectively a brand new car that I intend to keep for a long time.

I wish there was a fix (probably cheaper than a new tank option) where we could get about 25 more liters for the low fuel indications that appear 7 gallons earlier than necessary.

My ideal setup would be a combined fuel/water tank + bumper with dual tire carriers. I've routinely started a trip with 3 jerry cans of fuel, a full tank, and finally arrived at a gas station with a quarter tank. The main issue with remote trails is having to turn around 200 miles in due to an impassable obstacle.

The additional weight is unfortunate for sure. The net weight gain would be the weight of the tank - the container weight of the 6 jerry cans I carry for water and fuel for remote trips. I'd probably look for other areas to reduce weight if I went this direction.

I'm interested to see how this plays out but can't pull the trigger yet. I need to explore options for dual tire carrier bumpers and also a shop that will do the install that will still meet CA smog standards. Ugh.

I hear ya. Having to constantly worry about my fuel has gotten tiresome. Especially when I like to be away from civilization for multiple days. Not seeing a gas station in southern Utah for a few days while camping is pretty easy. Moving the tire leaves a cavernous hole under the rear, figure it's a good spot to put 'something'. I think weight differences between 5 jerry cans vs an aux tank might just favor the jerry cans but not by a whole lot. Five cans is about 53# and the tank is 85#(shipping weight), and it'll be lower CoG. Additionally, having fuel behind a crossmember as opposed to out on the bumper seems at least slightly safer. I'd rather have water on the bumper than a combustible.

Plus, and this is a big one, I plan on driving through Baja next year.

I'd be in if this was plug and play, but I find it difficult to risk evap/fuel/whatever codes on effectively a brand new car that I intend to keep for a long time.

I wish there was a fix (probably cheaper than a new tank option) where we could get about 25 more liters for the low fuel indications that appear 7 gallons earlier than necessary.

Understandable.

Last edited:
I hear ya. Having to constantly worry about my fuel has gotten tiresome. Especially when I like to be away from civilization for multiple days. Not seeing a gas station in southern Utah for a few days while camping is pretty easy. Moving the tire leaves a cavernous hole under the rear, figure it's a good spot to put 'something'. I think weight differences between 5 jerry cans vs an aux tank might just favor the jerry cans but not by a whole lot. Five cans is about 53# and the tank is 85#(shipping weight), and it'll be lower CoG. Additionally, having fuel behind a crossmember as opposed to out on the bumper seems at least slightly safer. I'd rather have water on the bumper than a combustible.

Plus, and this is a big one, I plan on driving through Baja next year.

Have you thought about the installation? DIY?

Baja is on my short list as well but I need some solution aside from storing the fuel on the inside of the truck first, lol.

Have you thought about the installation? DIY?

Baja is on my short list as well but I need some solution aside from storing the fuel on the inside of the truck first, lol.

Yup, I'm doing a DIY install. It seems pretty straightforward, for the most part. I might snag a cheap welder so I can build a bracket for the evap/carbon can relocation.
I'll definitely document the install though.

I'm interested in a 70L that maintains the spare tire, but I'm not in a spot where I want to blaze a trail without a little more guidance. A really good thread here: Tembo / Exel 15 gallon Aux Tank Installation

I'm not sure I'm ready to pull the trigger, but I'd like to stay in the loop. I won't be a DIY install- I'll want to be able to give some info to an installer in the DFW area.

I'm interested in a 70L that maintains the spare tire, but I'm not in a spot where I want to blaze a trail without a little more guidance. A really good thread here: Tembo / Exel 15 gallon Aux Tank Installation

I'm not sure I'm ready to pull the trigger, but I'd like to stay in the loop. I won't be a DIY install- I'll want to be able to give some info to an installer in the DFW area.

No problem.
Keep in mind the Tembo and Long Ranger are designed significantly differently so the installation will not quite be the same.

Also, I'm not affiliated or have any side deals with LR. Any info I post is just from research.

Last edited:
No problem.
Keep in mind the Tembo and Long Ranger are designed significantly differently so the installation will be somewhat different.

Also, I'm not affiliated or have any side deals with LR. Any info I post is just from research.

Thanks! I don't know enough about either system to understand the differences between them.

Maybe I'm just odd- I wouldn't have a problem if you did have a side deal with LR. If you deal with the company / shipping / the whole pain in the a$$ that is getting product from Oz then it seems reasonable for you to make a couple bucks- or get an extra discount on your order- which is the same thing just a little different.

It's not that hard to bring in a container, outsource order fulfillment and shipping, and be nothing other than a sales organization- it's just a matter of tying up money in inventory and paying the carrying cost. Low volume product- if you can land them in CA and sell with a 50% margin- that should generate enough cash to make it work, particularly as a side deal. Bring in $25K wholesale every 6 months, sell for $50K gross (plus shipping cost), probably another $10-15K in expenses per year - net $35K for the risk and the work talking to people you would enjoy talking to anyway (cruiser heads). Work-out an exclusive arrangement with LR to the US market across their full product line- that should produce a reasonable side income for someone.

Thanks! I don't know enough about either system to understand the differences between them.

Maybe I'm just odd- I wouldn't have a problem if you did have a side deal with LR. If you deal with the company / shipping / the whole pain in the a$$ that is getting product from Oz then it seems reasonable for you to make a couple bucks- or get an extra discount on your order- which is the same thing just a little different.

It's not that hard to bring in a container, outsource order fulfillment and shipping, and be nothing other than a sales organization- it's just a matter of tying up money in inventory and paying the carrying cost. Low volume product- if you can land them in CA and sell with a 50% margin- that should generate enough cash to make it work, particularly as a side deal. Bring in $25K wholesale every 6 months, sell for $50K gross (plus shipping cost), probably another $10-15K in expenses per year - net $35K for the risk and the work talking to people you would enjoy talking to anyway (cruiser heads). Work-out an exclusive arrangement with LR to the US market across their full product line- that should produce a reasonable side income for someone.

Basically, I only want a tank and figured a few of us could get the price down with one big purchase. The aux tank dream has been discussed a few times on here so I figured I'd see if anyone else wanted in. I just didn't want the mods/admins or members to think I had any side deals going on. But I see what you're saying. Sales and business aren't in my wheelhouse. The Air Force and my real estate side-gig are more than enough to buy me the toys I want.

Despite how my other ball-busting posts may appear, I just want to help the community/fellow members. I'd still be driving a Nissan if it wasn't for the guys on this forum. :)

I’d be interested in the 70l depending on price and final installation specs.

I'm very interested...... 90L seesm about perfect and would make a huge difference in scope on trips to Big Bend or times when fuel's tough to come by .... which was quite often in TX after the storm - heck it's still hard to get 93 half the time....

pending a major issue with install I'm in.

This is just an innocent question - not meant in any way to stir up any huge controversy.

I know that in the U.S., gravity-fed aux tanks for diesel fuel are legal, but I can't find any law that allows aux tanks for gasoline. The LR tank maker in Australia states they are legal in Australia, but has anyone confirmed that these tanks are legal in the U.S.?

Just asking.

Fair question. Logically speaking, I see it being significantly safer than carrying a gas can (or especially a propane can) on the bumper so I don't know why it wouldn't be legal in most states that aren't liberal wastelands, sorry California. But, as with any modification, be prepared to answer any questions Johnny Law might have.

The only issues I could foresee is it throwing codes if not installed properly and trying to get it inspected. The codes aren't permanent though.

I've never lived in a state that did a visual check as part of their safety/emissions checks. So I don't know if they'll s*** a brick seeing a big can where the spare should be. You could probably just say it's for water?

Also, one of the reasons I chose this company over the others is their backing by ARB. So it should be a quality product without safety concerns.

Certainly safer than all of the rust bucket, bald tire, no taillight having, mid-80s cars I see around here with "Vintage" plates to skirt the safety inspection.

Last edited:
Tony thanks for trying to pick up the ball and run with this. I am interested as I have had a custom tank project on hold for my LX waiting to see if the no-start gremlins would leave which it appears they have.

Do you have a VERY loose ballpark on what the cost of these tank options landed to you would be? No bulk discounts etc like that but just a raw # that I understand would be very subject to change.

Tony thanks for trying to pick up the ball and run with this. I am interested as I have had a custom tank project on hold for my LX waiting to see if the no-start gremlins would leave which it appears they have.

Do you have a VERY loose ballpark on what the cost of these tank options landed to you would be? No bulk discounts etc like that but just a raw # that I understand would be very subject to change.

I don't have a solid price for getting it shipped.
But for reference Long Range Automotive (the other tank maker) quoted me around $500 AUD to deliver.

Last edited:
I don't have a solid price for getting it shipped.
But for reference Long Range Automotive (the other tank maker) quoted me around $500 AUD to deliver.

Good enough to plan around, thanks. I'll be in for the 70L. Factory Spare + 43 total gallons is a great combination for me. My custom tank route, which would 100% cost me my spare for what was what we estimated to be a ~24gal+ aux tank and a long road of figuring things out on our own. Any complications this install will have, we would have had to deal with plus fabbing everything from scratch.

The LR 90L is tempting but I LOVE the idea of keeping my spare.

ETA: Let me know if we are 1 tank short of a price break. I might buy 2 LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom