HOW TO: Tighten Steering Column Play (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does your steering wheel move up and down vertically a quarter inch or so? If so, your tilt column locking mechanism is probably loose. Fortunately this is one of the cheapest and easiest fixes you'll ever do to your 80.

1) Remove the clamshell behind your steering wheel
2) Loosen the nut noted in the picture
3) Rotate the nut noted in the picture until the up and down play disappears
4) Tighten the nut from step 2 to 52 inchpounds (not too tight or it will bind)
5) Replace the clamshell
6) :beer:

Tilt Fix.jpg

Why does this work? The tilt column is held in place by two pawls with teeth that engage. In order for the connection to be tight, the teeth have to engage just right with significant pressure. This adjusted by a rotatable offset bushing in the pawl:

Pawl Bushing.JPG

When you rotate the nut from step 3, your're rotating that offset bushing and changing the way the teeth mesh. Notice the offset hole is in a different position from the previous picture to the next picture:

Rotated Bushing.JPG

Apparently, over time, this offset bushing rotates on its own and the mechanism becomes loose. Aside from being vibrated for 20 years, the fact that the old grease becomes sticky probably has something to do with it. Basically, every time the tilt column is used, the sticky grease rotates that bushing until the column is loose. I pulled the whole mechanism apart, cleaned, and regreased. That probably isn't necessary, but you can do it if you want extra cruiserpoints. It's been over a year since I did this and my column still has no play and has not needed readjustment.

Last edited:
THANK YOU!
Thank you for contributing something that can actually be considered "Tech!"
This is perfect and simple.
Thank you!

+1000 This finally cured my annoying jiggle. Jiggle; yes I said it. I would only add that I needed a really slim crescent to adjust #2 bolt. Other than that, a pretty straightforward, pretty furkin awesome GODSEND.

I think there's like 7 or 8 mud members scattered around the globe who all have to show up at a remote mountain bunker, insert their keys into a giant vault door, and turn them simultaneously.

I think there's like 7 or 8 mud members scattered around the globe who all have to show up at a remote mountain bunker, insert their keys into a giant vault door, and turn them simultaneously.

Also need authorization code "Lima, mike, Alfa, Oscar" then secondary authorization code "whiskey, tangle, foxtrot".

...Misspelled via IH8MUD app

Last edited:
Ok I am bumpity bump on this, I thing it should be sticky I have had my column as loose as @NLXTACY and now it is new again

Pretty sure @nukegoat has this documented as a sign of imminent HG failure...:hmm:

Pretty sure @nukegoat has this documented as a sign of imminent HG failure...:hmm:
100% of rigs with head gasket issues seem to also sometimes need this mod. I dont think they are related but it is concerning. Its possible that one of the harmonics of the head gasket blowing is enough to rotate that cam?

Seriously?!

All the crap I've done to my cruiser since buying it new in '96 and I stumble upon this by accident. This will improve my daily irrritation level more than any other fix.

Thanks dude!

(Now back to searching for battery recommendations and finishing the camera install under the cruiser so I can see obstacles to avoid on my stereo screen :)

Ive just gotten used to all the quirks and tell myself they are features...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom