OME BP-51 OWNERS...... ROLL CALL......... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LOL- my complaints fell on deaf ears for months at the ARB supplier I purchased from. They really had me second guessing my install abilities. It wasn't until I heard chatter on the Australian forums that I started going over the suppliers head trying to contact ARB. I have yet to hear a supplier comment about clunking.

I've sold, installed and driven dozens of BP-51 setups and I've commented a great deal here on the forum and with customers. Cold fluid through bypass valves... makes clunks and I too hope they can find a long-term fix through valve changes and viscosity mods. We have ~$12k worth of Kings on the Canguro 200. The bypass shocks are noisy as hell until they warm up.

As of now the shocks are silent. We'll see what happens as it gets colder but ARB did test in the Australian winter from what I'm told.

So, what's everyone's current favorite compression and rebound settings? Those speed bumps at the mall are harshing my mellow.........

So, what's everyone's current favorite compression and rebound settings? Those speed bumps at the mall are harshing my mellow.........
I'm LOVING 8 compression, 7 rebound with 2723s. It's just perfect.

Side note, does everyone know about the fitting at the top of the BP-51 to put an Allen key so the shock doesn't spin while adjusting?

Last edited:
I have 2720s in the rear and no added weights.
I need a baseline on the settings, I've been messing with them so much that I think I went too far in one direction.

I'm running Front C2 R8.5 Rear C2 R8. I'm getting a porpoising/seasaw effect where the front and rear seem to be doing different things. Still love them but need to hear what others are running along with their variables (springs, bumpers, tires, pressures etc.

BTW I find that as I increase Compression the truck get really stiff really C4-5 rattled my fillings, cant imagine 8!

I'm LOVING 8 compression, 6 rebound with 2723s. It's just perfect.

Side note, does everyone know about the fitting at the top of the BP-51 to put an Allen key so the shock doesn't spin while adjusting?

News to me, Thanks! I'd bought a strap wrench for just that reason.

WHERE??? Never noticed a hole

WHERE??? Never noticed a hole
At the very top of the shock, on the black top, there are 4 holes (really its two holes drilled strait through).

While having a beer with a BP-51 engineer, I told him that it's hard to adjust them, and he told me that's what the hole are for. I was like, "What!? And why was that not in the owners manual?"

I use a larger 5mm Allen key, with 4 possible position options, it's pretty easy to hold the Allen key with one hand and adjust the comp/reb rings with the other hand. You still have to lay under the truck, which sucks when off road, but at least I don't have to carry, or even mess with a strap wrench anymore.

And for your comment on 8 compression, I do have 300 lbs on the roof, and about 400 lbs in the truck. The ride is perfect in the back right now. When I hit stuff, it's just like the axle is bouncing up and slightly slower back down, and the truck itself never moves a bit. Now I just need to get the front like that also.

Curious if this info not being known or this method not being utilized had anything to do with the issues on the first round of shocks people were having noise complaints about? Could forcing the shocks adjustments by not using the "key holes" or utilizing a wrench strap have caused damage and thus resulted in tweaked parts screaming for mercy? I have no experience with the BP51's, I do know forcing parts to work doesn't always work out for the better. Good info shared by @Taco2Cruiser - you guys should send him a beer in the mail.

Hey Guys,
I had quite the mind blow last night. After screwing with these "new" shocks since the early spring and constantly increasing and compression and rebound I did something very counter intuitive to me, I started decreasing the compression and rebound and you know something, it got better and better.
A little explaining, I've been through 4 sets of Bp51s while "testing" for ARB and the only thing that got rid of the clunks was to increase the settings so I got very used to the stiff ride in exchange for a quieter ride. When I installed the new ones I used my old setting as my benchmark instead of treating them as a new and different shock.
This may come as a shock but I'm all the way down to Compression 1, rebound 5 in both front and rear and the ride is incredible. (Down from C5 R8.5 front and rear) All the bumps, potholes, cracks that would unset the truck over these past few months are soaked up. It is softer but by no means floaty. I'm going to keep playing but for those of you running really high settings because stiff is cool do your back a favor and just let the suspension work and articulate.
It's only a day but I'm kicking myself for not listening to ARB when they told me my settings, especially my rebound, were too high.
Ant.

I changed mine late last week from

Front: Comp 3 Rebound 8
Rear: Comp 3 Rebound 7

to

Front: Comp 1 Rebound 6
Rear: Comp 1 Rebound 5

Immediate positive difference but have been out of town and haven't driven much yet.

Quite an amazing change. Wouldn't you agree??
I changed mine late last week from

Front: Comp 3 Rebound 8
Rear: Comp 3 Rebound 7

to

Front: Comp 1 Rebound 6
Rear: Comp 1 Rebound 5

Immediate positive difference but have been out of town and haven't driven much yet.

Hey Guys,
I had quite the mind blow last night. After screwing with these "new" shocks since the early spring and constantly increasing and compression and rebound I did something very counter intuitive to me, I started decreasing the compression and rebound and you know something, it got better and better.
A little explaining, I've been through 4 sets of Bp51s while "testing" for ARB and the only thing that got rid of the clunks was to increase the settings so I got very used to the stiff ride in exchange for a quieter ride. When I installed the new ones I used my old setting as my benchmark instead of treating them as a new and different shock.
This may come as a shock but I'm all the way down to Compression 1, rebound 5 in both front and rear and the ride is incredible. (Down from C5 R8.5 front and rear) All the bumps, potholes, cracks that would unset the truck over these past few months are soaked up. It is softer but by no means floaty. I'm going to keep playing but for those of you running really high settings because stiff is cool do your back a favor and just let the suspension work and articulate.
It's only a day but I'm kicking myself for not listening to ARB when they told me my settings, especially my rebound, were too high.
Ant.
As I've mentioned before slee originally set it very soft and driving home was like a cloud "Lexus" ride. Personally too soft so I cranked it up a little bit. So yes you can literally get these shocks anywhere you want them comfort wise. Pretty amazing!

As I've mentioned before slee originally set it very soft and driving home was like a cloud "Lexus" ride. Personally too soft so I cranked it up a little bit. So yes you can literally get these shocks anywhere you want them comfort wise. Pretty amazing!
What are your settings and what additional weight do you have???
I was definitely on the upper end of harsh and really regret waiting 6 months to bring it back to comfortable.

Front C2R5
Rear C2 R5
Is feeling great. Still playing.

Front C2R5
Rear C2 R5
Is feeling great. Still playing.

Took them off the LC, tired of the clunking and creaking, just installed a Icon stage 5, so Far, so good, they are definitely and upgrade compared to the BP, the LC feel more planted more like a rock and yet more comfortable at the same time.

That’s a thought, let me get back to you on that. Waiting to hear from arb first.

Icon stage 5? $5,600 + installation? Yeouch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom