FJC body cracking (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It says "Body Cracks" on my computer.

While there's nothing to really do at this stage but encourage people to BRING THEIR BULGES & CRACKS to their DEALER TO DOCUMENT and possibly file a report with the .gov, this is undoubtedly an issue that needs to be reported to the manufacturer.

Or do you work for Toyota?!

It was saying "Body Cracks / Frame Cracks"..... Maybe it got edited.

I have seen photos of the Revised Crumple Zone Inner Fender Skirt Panels that have bulged and cracked. I know of an FJ owner who had his bulging panel replaced with the "Revised Crumple Zone Panel", and that replacement panel has now also bulged and cracked.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen photos of the Revised Crumple Zone Inner Fender Skirt Panels that have bulged and cracked. I know of an FJ owner who had his bulging panel replaced with the "Revised Crumple Zone Panel", and that replacement panel has now also bulged and cracked.

It's not that I disbelieved anyone...i'm not surprised at all that the new design (seemingly just adding some space between the upper & lower crumple dimples) has little effect. It's just that a popular forum like that gets a LOT of speculation from novices, muddling up the facts.

For the record, I'm outspoken about this based far more on principal than selfish concern. I can afford to replace my FJ and take a loss. It DOES concern me that the VAST majority of owners are "mall crawlers" and will very likely never notice this issue until many miles down the road when it's a BIG tear and requires extensive repair. This also buys Toyota a lot of "wiggle room". This one will be another big test of their business ethics IMO.

I'm relatively new to the 4x4 world (with the exception of owning a '75 CJ once), but have extensive experience with Europoean sports cars and perfomance models. I've owned and enjoyed several Honda/Acura vehicles and have always preferred their more Euro approach to design & handling vs. Toyota. I've avoided Toyta's until now because of my preference for Honda. But the TRD FJ was too appealing to me, so I bought on a whim and am enjoying it immensly. What bugs me is I was planning on keeping THIS one as a "lifer". We'll see.

We should probably kill this thread (or combine it).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto.

Spent a LOT of time with the FJCruiser Trail Team this weekend and asked about this issue. Despite wheeling and driving their trucks HARD and nonstop for 9 months at a time they've had no cracking but have seen some deformation in that spot. They run big ARB Bumpers and winches out front and these trucks take a lot of abuse.

They said that they were under the impression Toyota had made a slight change in that part for '08 but weren't sure.

I had nearly a full day of offroad seat time in a near stock FJ Cruiser and it is a pretty impressive truck.. not perfect, or ultra hardcore, but extremely capable. Just thought I'd throw that into the fray, carry on. :)

please read and continue discussion here
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?p=2604474

feel free to express your opinions, argue passionately, debate but please refrain from disparaging other forums or off topic baiting, 'trolling' for arguments. thanks guys. again, talk about the trucks. they, and the great people, are what make this a great sport/hobby.

Last edited:
I would see this as a major problem. Many of us own Land Cruisers that are 20 and 30 years old with no body cracking at all.

I have real doubts that there are many FJ-40s out there that are not seeing any body cracking. Most I've seen have issues along the spot welds on the rear inner fender and the spare tire carriers.

Not that it's not a problem, I'm just saying that I've had a lot of LCs. Both the 40s and 80s had issues with body fatigue.

I have the notorious inner fender tears and bulge. I've read threads about motor mounts cracking. I guess I don't wheel hard enough(?)

Last edited:
Does there exist a list of affected VIN numbers and/or build dates?

It's not that simple; some had problems and some didn't, no one knows why. Mine is one of the first (April 2006 build date), and it has 200,000 hard miles (tons of offroad and hard wheeling) and it has no cracks or bulges. Just the luck of the draw I think.

meaning that I have inner fender tears and bulge(?).. I don't know what you actually want. it was just a statement.
My original question was, does there exist a list of VIN#s or build dates affected by inner fender issue? All I was after.

My original question was, does there exist a list of VIN#s or build dates affected by inner fender issue? All I was after.

No. Most of the affected vehicles are very early builds. Although as like @1911 mentioned having an earlier build does not mean you're guaranteed to get cracking.

Do you currently own an early FJC?

No. Most of the affected vehicles are very early builds. Although as like @1911 mentioned having an earlier build does not mean you're guaranteed to get cracking.

Do you currently own an early FJC?

No FJ now. Had a 2010 TT in the family a couple years ago. Should have kept it.

my understanding is the 1st gen FJ Cruiser's were affected more then the 2nd Gens

I had the bulges within the first year of owning (build date 06/2006, purchased 07/2006). They got worse with my rig being a dual purpose DD and weekend warrior. I always said I would just drive it until the fenders fell off... the rips had gone all the way to the wheel well. Well, earlier this spring I had to do something about it, and I paid to have inner fenders and front apron replaced. The front end had dropped enough that latching the hood was a concern.

FrontApron2017 (1).JPG

FrontApron2017 (2).JPG

FrontApron2017 (3).JPG

so 12 years and 170K miles ( i think you said thats how many miles you were at on another thread) later you finally did something about it? don't think its worth loseing sleep over...:meh:

Last edited:
Mine was made June of 2006, has around 82K on it, and zero cracks.
Lotta weight too up front with two batteries, AB bumper, Hi-Lift on the bumper, Warn XD9000, no cracks for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom