Hello New Mexico!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If things work out, i'll be moving to the Los Alamos are or somewhere somewhat close to Los Alamos sometime in the next few months. I've been google searching for trails and people to wheel with. I'm looking forward to it! Giddy Up!!

14079976_10210435668710357_7835977196850542865_n.jpg

You're coming o the right place amigo, welcome to the hood!

welcome to the Land of Enchantment

Welcome! Keep us posted when you get to NM.

Welcome!

only part i'm not looking forward to if selected for the job is snakes and looking for an affordable place in a safe place that isn't 45min.+ to get to work. I don't know what taxes are like there but it looks like the cost of living is slightly less then here in the Albany, NY area with the exception of housing due to it's limited availability in the Los Alamos area. if not for the dog(which i'm not get getting rid of) I would set up home in a trailer in the desert and bank as much $$ as I can but that's not going to happen. lol

Last edited:
only part i'm not looking forward to if selected for the job is snakes and looking for an affordable place in a safe place that isn't 45min.+ to get to work. I don't know what taxes are like there but it looks like the cost of living is slightly less then here in the Albany, NY area with the exception of housing due to it's limited availability in the Los Alamos area. if not for the dog(which i'm not get getting rid of) I would set up home in a trailer in the desert and bank as much $$ as I can but that's not going to happen. lol

Hey there, I work in Los Alamos but live ~25 min. north east and the commute is not that bad. Welcome to New Mexico!

Hey there, I work in Los Alamos but live ~25 min. north east and the commute is not that bad. Welcome to New Mexico!

what town north east and how is the crime? I don't want things to end up missing off my FJ

I live in Espanola. As for crime, Albuquerque is far worst when it comes to car theft and property crime. Espanola has some problems with drug abusers and panhandling, it all depends where you live. Here is a link to the local paper riograndesun.com

awesome, thank you Sir!

in the west, commuting is not the same as back east. 30-45 mins is not a long commute. it feels shorter too. my brother commuted from Abq to Los Alamos for years. he chose to go through the Jemez mtns and fly fish on the way home...welcome, and you've found the right group!

My evening commute is misery. One side of ABQ to the other, 45 - 60 minutes to go 20 miles. I suspect a commute to Los Alamos is a much 'nicer' commute. FWIW, all the people in Albuquerque makes jokes about Espanola, even if the crime statistics probably are worse in ABQ. Pyro-boy (Vince) would be a great resource for getting to understand the areas to live in the Los Alamos/Espanola/Santa Fe area. As far as snakes are concerned, don't be worried about that. I spend a lot of time outdoors and it's extremely rare that I see one in NM. Even when I do, it's usually a bullsnake or garder snake. I think I have seen 3 rattlesnakes in the wild in NM.

cool. thank you Marc!

I know someone that works at the labs that lives here in Albuquerque. They also have a rideshare with a Van. Once every couple months, you take turn driving the van (one of those big 12-18 passenger vans). So at least you can sleep/read etc most of the time while commuting.

i've been looking at the Santa Fe to Santa Cruz area. I'm fairly confident I'd be able to buy small house somewhere in the range of $115-140 range. if not for the dog I would buy a camper and set up life in the desert.

i've been looking at the Santa Fe to Santa Cruz area. I'm fairly confident I'd be able to buy small house somewhere in the range of $115-140 range. if not for the dog I would buy a camper and set up life in the desert.

I live in the Santa Cruz area. You should be okay with that budget.

what town north east and how is the crime? I don't want things to end up missing off my FJ

I highly recommend the website City-data for detailed info on cities and towns. Includes crime rate, demographics, cost of living, climate......etc.

http://www.city-data.com/

Not trying to be a downer, but I would suggest not using the city-data site for anything in the area you are looking at. It could be depressing.

it's all good. I'm looking more in the Los Alamos area now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom