Awesome new MPPT controller with bluetooth control for $99 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You're kind of on your own here. I tried to program a Renogy controller and thought it was confusing as heck. Like they wanted you to do the default settings only. I'd call them as their manual is Chinglish and difficult to get the sense of. Now if you decide to get the MPPT from Victron, I think a bunch of us can help you at this point, and, it's pretty intuitive. I looked briefly at the Renogy website and did not find it particularly helpful. Good luck!
i got this 190 dollar mppt with a 100 watt package so im sticking with it at his point, thanks for answering

First off i think the thread title is a bit misleading. The charge controller is $99 but the BT portion is extra $

Having said that, I'm still going to order one after all your great reviews and that my new 130 watt folding panel is slightly too large for my existing 12amp PWM controller (was on a 50 watt panel).

Where did you get a 130 watt folding panel? That's a pretty handy size.

Where did you get a 130 watt folding panel? That's a pretty handy size.

I got it from Portable & Foldable Solar Panel | 100 Watt, 12 Volt | Wise Food Storage who are reselling the Humless stuff

https://humless.com/solar-series/go/.

It's a pretty nice panel, sturdy and a tad heavy at 30 pounds. The carrying case is very nice, a semi-rigid zip up case.

20170724_175257.jpg
20170724_175325.jpg
20170724_175440.jpg
20170724_175604.jpg
20170724_175750.jpg

Interesting the "Humless" panel has the same case and hardware as Renogy. Looks like a good option now that Renogy has gone upscale a bit and is charging more. I wonder if it's Canada only?

Interesting the "Humless" panel has the same case and hardware as Renogy. Looks like a good option now that Renogy has gone upscale a bit and is charging more. I wonder if it's Canada only?

Wisefood is from California and Humless is in Salt Lake City.

I saw a post somewhere along the way when I was browsing for this where I think someone said Humless was Bosch, but no idea if that's true or not.

Just ordered up the controller, BT Module and Panel along with a box to make a weather resistant movable controller setup. 100W Renogy panel and some 10G wire with Power Poles should get this up and running.

Appreciate all the information in this thread as it really helped me make a decision on how to go.

Does anyone know if this controller will allow different levels of "float" for our AGM batteries? I cant seem to find it in the documentation.. Ive seen some of the "Solar" guys on other forums looking at the advantages of floating at 13.8, then 13.6 and finally 13.2...

I'm thinking either just a 13.8 or 13.6 would be fine with no need for reducing float levels..

Cheers,

John

Yes, float voltage etc are all configurable via the BT interface from your phone app.

cheers,
george.

I bought one too and the BT dongle. Where's a good place to mount the controller? Any pictures of set ups?

I decided to make a portable setup so I can use it to charge some Bioenno Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries I use for Amateur Radio portable ops as well as my 2nd battery in the 80 series. Due to this, I didn't want to mount the controller in a permanent configuration in the truck.

The box will sit on my bumper when the solar panel is deployed and connect to my second battery system via Anderson PowerPoles which also match all my radio batteries as well.

The box should be large enough to also keep a 30' extension for the panel, so its kind of self contained. Carry the box and panel and I'm good to go.

6BFCACA9-2853-44BA-9E3A-0321C70E75CF_zpsmiau8wbg.jpg

I was going to use just the PowerPole mounting plates, but for ease of install I'm going with the PanelPole to connect the Battery and Panel.. This will just mount to the outside of the NEMA box through a 1 1/8" hole.

powerwerx-panelpole-panel-mount-housing-for-two-powerpole-connectors-with-a-weather-resistant-cover_580_zpswn3yn73a.jpg

My home charging system is the Noco genius G7200 and keeps my second battery fresh

DF2899A6-7F72-4B90-9CF7-4F50CCBF9497_zpsxillr4e1.jpg

Both the Solar controller and Noco genius connect with Anderson PowerPoles at the front of the truck

174976CC-D00F-48D3-BAE8-741D9943F6F0_zps1pys9oux.jpg

FCAF408F-A862-4CEC-B414-6056185EB0EE_zpscbtg5lxj.jpg

NEMA Economy Box
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UPAN0W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers,

John

Last edited:
What type of charging profile do lithium iron phosphate batteries require? I assume because it's a different chemistry the charge profile and float voltage are different.

Yes it's different. "Supposedly" Blue Solar is going to be releasing profiles for the LiFeP04, but I have not seen them yet.

Bioenno, the batteries I'm running for armature radio, wants a nominal charge of 12.8V and a float of 14.4V - I'm assuming other battery manufactures will have different settings...

I'll keep you posted if I find out when the new profiles will be available. I've called Victron, but they pushed me off to "US" dealers.

best,

John

What type of charging profile do lithium iron phosphate batteries require? I assume because it's a different chemistry the charge profile and float voltage are different.

The 200A LiFePO4 battery I am using has a maximum charge current of 14.6v. The profile is similar to most AGM batteries; albeit ~.2v less for maximum charge current. I think the technology is still a bit on the 'young' side for real world performance/experience/knowledge all things charging/floating related.

So far, admittedly only 1-year of use, 14.3/14.4 max alternator output on my 100's alternator seems to be keeping the LiFePO4 happy. Ditto for the Victron controller.

So kind of a stupid question but if i wanted to install one of these in the interior of the truck, could I connect it to my "Blue Sea Panel" and feed the system that way?

I hear people stating that they hook it to their interior "Panel" in the truck. Just confirming a "Back Feed" works and this does not need directly hooked to the battery??

Sorry if this is brutally obvious...

John-

^ Connecting closer (electrically) to the battery is better since it provides more accurate measurement of battery voltage for dealing with the bulk/float etc charging profile.

That said, as long as your "panel" has appropriate gauge wires (thicker = better) directly back to the battery you are charging things will work fine.

cheers,
george.

^ Connecting closer (electrically) to the battery is better since it provides more accurate measurement of battery voltage for dealing with the bulk/float etc charging profile.

That said, as long as your "panel" has appropriate gauge wires (thicker = better) directly back to the battery you are charging things will work fine.

cheers,
george.

Thanks George. understand all and appreciate the response. I can bypass the Blue Sea and go direct to the 2/0 cable that running direct to the battery. No issue with size there, just the run length to the battery and measurement of voltage.

Thank you again,

John

E1382870-E54D-4218-8419-292947D711C8_zpsjfvodn53.jpg

Received the controller and panel today.. Just hooked up in the yard on an old battery and charging my Ipad as a test.

DE6E6D0D-655C-4E8A-AA80-EBB2EF72693E_zpsh6vne7ue.jpg

344F2441-CC9D-4B3A-95FF-9FC5F19A1C9B_zps8jmmbarb.jpg

02815862-F01B-4262-87A9-15A05F066891_zps8eigfs48.jpg

45DBB69C-2E7F-4F14-9271-1B9675CEB3C5_zps6gzw3ebn.jpg

Hopefully next week I'll have all the parts to construct the portable carry box.

Cheers,

John-

Wondering about heat dissipation. Do you need to leave the box open when in use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom