Bob and Gary's Execellent Adventure (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It was great to meet-up with you guys...I wish the work scheduled would have been more favorable and allowed more days--c'est la vie--that is just how the cookie crumbles, sometimes.

I rolled into Ouray at about 7pm and met the fellas at the Outlaw Saloon and Restaurant. While the atmosphere was, indeed casual, this was no burger joint! Hahaha Thank you to my brother, Steve, for picking up my dinner tab.

Back at camp, we fiddled with the 'campfire in a can', and determined that the 'Little Buddy' heater applied near the tank/regulator was just the ticket to prevent freezing and an abrupt shut-down. Great way to wind down a long day, around the glow of a fire.

Monday morning we rolled-out at approximately 8am, and sped toward Montrose. We arrived at the local Mickey D's for a breakfast biscuit and coffee; right at rush-hour, it seemed, for when we entered the door and stood in line, there were a good dozen fellows right behind us. I think Jeff picked up my tab here, so thank you, Jeff; or perhaps they just lost track of who ordered and paid-for-what in that mad rush? LOL

Back on the road, we headed east on U.S. 50 toward Gunnison, and then Monarch Pass. Down the pass and to the junction of U.S. 285, and drove north to Buena Vista and then U.S. 24 to Leadville. We fueled-up on the south side of town, and both Gary and Greg decided to not proceed over Mosquito Pass.

Jeff and Mitch in the Tacoma, and Steve and myself in the Trooper headed into Leadville proper and turned east. I knew I was looking for County Road 3, but we didn't see any signs on the main road. So taking a chance, I lead us up what turned out to be CR 1. Well, we were close! We got up high and could see/recognize CR 3 across the valley, so we took a spur road that brought us right to it. Up we went, the bumpy western side of Mosquito Pass. A few switchbacks and amazing views back to the west, southwest filled with storm clouds. Soon we were at the summit, 13,185 feet above sea level.

2006-01-01 12.40.30.jpg

2006-01-01 12.41.46.jpg

2006-01-01 12.43.24.jpg

We continued east, descending toward the North London Mine. We encountered two spots that were deeply rutted, making the drive a little more technical. One spot was above the mine, the other below. Good line selection helps avoid lots of problems, and we rolled through with no issues.

Further down the mountain, the road becomes more akin to a gravel road. We picked up the pace but did stop a few additional times to make photos and glass-over the creek and beaver ponds, looking for the moose and black bear which had eluded the CLCC group for over a week.

We arrived at the junction of U.S. 9 (Alma, Colorado) and aired-up our tires and said farewells. I headed south toward Hartsel and then east to Woodland Park; Jeff and the boys headed north into Breckenridge.

2006-01-01 13.09.25.jpg

2006-01-01 13.15.24.jpg

Here are a few short clips from Mosquito Pass; I'm going to work a longer duration video with more clips to update the trail guide at trailsoffroad; probably get it done after this coming weekend.

Last day with successful meet up with Tracy at Outlaws Saloon in Ouray. Tracy clocked 556 miles on the Trooper clock for one dinner, night by the campfire and one 16 mile pass crossing from Leadville to Alma on the way out. Great effort and great to see him. Second photo may be our entry for Toyota Trails cover photo but they accept usually accept Landcruiser stuff only.

View attachment 1535608

View attachment 1535609

View attachment 1535610
If you're submitting it to Trails then take it off this thread. They won't publish it unless it hasn't been published elsewhere.

If you're submitting it to Trails then take it off this thread. They won't publish it unless it hasn't been published elsewhere.

It will be a different video and he is the moderator at TrailsOffroad.

Downer, Minnesota at 80mph, the only way to visit.

IMG_4703.JPG

IMG_4709.PNG

I assume that's one of the roads you guys took?

No, but we were in the Gunnison area, not sure what day, Gary would know. We did briefly wheel a pass with an 80 that, I think, was this same color.

We absolutely did do Cumberland Pass Tuesday September 5. After crossing Hancock Pass into the Pitkin area we did Cumberland from Pitkin to Tincup then down to Almont for the next two nights. It's not that scary a road but is awfully bumpy and going faster than recommended could of course cause a loss of control. And again of course you have to pay attention to the road at all times, not looking at the scenery instead of concentrating on the road itself. Tragic accident to be sure.

Okay, so we DID do Cumberland pass. I don't recall it at all. It's all a blur...
However, according to the time stamps of my photos, these should be part of Cumberland.

IMG_4199.JPG
IMG_4202.JPG
IMG_4205.JPG

Condos? It's condos, isn't it???
Or maybe a Trump golf course and/or "tower" to obstruct your view?

Or is it something of a more positive nature...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom