Need some eyes for FJ40 Purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm a relative rookie at 40 restorations, but that frame pic shows a LOT of pitting for a 50K mile frame. If it was media-blasted and treated with POR-15, there was likely some serious rust on that thing at one point. Low miles or not, the condition of that "restored" frame and the fresh paint job hints at a lot of rust hiding somewhere, or a lot of body work done to take care of it. Take a magnet and really examine the known trouble spots for body filler and poor-quality patch jobs.

Or, it could just be the way the light reflects in the photo. Tough to know unless you dig a little deeper.
The pitted frame is a different rig, different sale entirely, $13k for an 'in-progress' project truck.

I am also looking at a '77 for my next project. Agree with above posts:undercarriage!!!! Highly doubt 50k miles, guessing 150k unless he has loads of old documentation. And if that is the case price should be above $30K

Mann I hate bondo!
Seat belts for rear jump seats missing?

Looks shiny and purdy... look for spot welds on rear quarters as those often get filled by bondo. :(

You're right, on the blue FJ40 I see a few spots where the metal paneling looks to be out of sorts, particularly the floor on pictures 3 and 4.
Thank you for your input!

Or, it could just be the way the light reflects in the photo. Tough to know unless you dig a little deeper.[/QUOTE]
I'm a relative rookie at 40 restorations, but that frame pic shows a LOT of pitting for a 50K mile frame. If it was media-blasted and treated with POR-15, there was likely some serious rust on that thing at one point. Low miles or not, the condition of that "restored" frame and the fresh paint job hints at a lot of rust hiding somewhere, or a lot of body work done to take care of it. Take a magnet and really examine the known trouble spots for body filler and poor-quality patch jobs.

So in review, I need some serious help here. My ultimate goal is to purchase an FJ40 in the range of $15k to $25K that is mostly original or able to convert to OEM in order to retain value. I love everything about the vehicle! and ultimately desire a FJ40 in Rustic Green with Chrome trim that has min. 2.5 in. w/ 33=35" 12.5 tires. I am open to SOA/SUA, but not currently well-versed enough to make a decision. I want to be able to ultimately sell this vehicle for more than I paid for it while enjoying it's simplicity for at least a few years

Last edited:
My apologies LITP, I'm in the zone, and I didn't catch the humor. it's an FJ40, not to be shorthanded, noted.
*tip of the hat*
@Madmax629

LITP is a huge contributor and wealth of information on this site... he was making a funny ...

We were talking about pet peeves... and that's a big one ... we do not have FJ's ... just sayin

And I liked it... it was funny and informative :meh:

Your price point is just a start. If you are pursuing originality there will be more to find/buy. But, probably wont loose a cent if you don't spend too much and keep things as original as possible. Good luck.

You mentioned the frame was media blasted, painted and then had Por 15 applied. Don't think that is the right sequence on how things are done. Por 15 is designed to stick better to rust not blasted and painted surfaces

Yeah, it's a low price point. As long as I don't lose money, I consider that a win when purchasing any vehicle. Thanks!
Your price point is just a start. If you are pursuing originality there will be more to find/buy. But, probably wont loose a cent if you don't spend too much and keep things as original as possible. Good luck.

I assume he meant he primed the frame and the applied POR-15 black for weatherproofing which probably isn't POR-15s primary use. Usually it's just slapped on some rusted metal, but I suppose a few undercarriage pictures would make that easier to determine - I am waiting on a reply.
You mentioned the frame was media blasted, painted and then had Por 15 applied. Don't think that is the right sequence on how things are done. Por 15 is designed to stick better to rust not blasted and painted surfaces

For the most part you should not buy a Cruiser without expecting to lose money.

Keeping it as stock as possible will retain future $$. If you change anything keep the stock parts so It can be returned to stock easily (smog stuff is a big one). But I've never actually sold a cruiser so...

When you buy a cruiser and incur the cost, you will be far happier in your Cruiser experience to assume that what you just bought is worth nothing, and the cost is just the cost. If, in some long distant day you sell, and even break even, count you blessings but don't bet the farm on it. There is a 99% chance you will lose money. This is normal.

Nothing but a stock cruiser in original paint and no rust is truly a collectors item. Everything else is either meant to be enjoyed or a parts truck. If you own a collectors item, you'll be afraid to use it, and it will sit idle, in your garage until you get tired of it.

I've never sold a cruiser either, but plan to, one day, maybe.

I agree. It's more like to happen then not. I am patient though and I hope that will payoff by making the right purchase.
Good advice on retaining stock parts.
For the most part you should not buy a Cruiser without expecting to lose money.

Keeping it as stock as possible will retain future $$. If you change anything keep the stock parts so It can be returned to stock easily (smog stuff is a big one). But I've never actually sold a cruiser so...

That is a great way to look at it. The goal is to limit monetary risk as much as possible while still being able to enjoy an FJ40. I don't expect buying a a FJ40 to be a profitable venture, but I don't want to throw hard-earned money in a hole either.
When you buy a cruiser and incur the cost, you will be far happier in your Cruiser experience to assume that what you just bought is worth nothing, and the cost is just the cost. If, in some long distant day you sell, and even break even, count you blessings but don't bet the farm on it. There is a 99% chance you will lose money. This is normal.

Nothing but a stock cruiser in original paint and no rust is truly a collectors item. Everything else is either meant to be enjoyed or a parts truck. If you own a collectors item, you'll be afraid to use it, and it will sit idle, in your garage until you get tired of it.

I've never sold a cruiser either, but plan to, one day, maybe.

Turns out it's a scam. hahaa

Hi,

Due to the high volume of internet scams, I give you the chance to receive the car at your home address BEFORE i receive my money for it. I appreciate your interest but I want to let you know that the car is located in Croatia. I purchased the car in US and I moved to Europe, in Croatia the law is different recording the registration of a vehicle that is outside of Europe, it is expensive and difficult to register this car in Croatia, this is the reason of selling. Instead of letting it sit in the garage I've decided to sell it at low price.
I can ship the car to you, also I can be responsible for the transport cost and you'll pay after inspection. The car looks and runs fantastic! Within 19 days you will get the car and you will have a period of 2 days to inspect the car and when the inspection period ends, if everything is fine you can make the payment.
CLEAN TITLE IN HAND, NO LIENS OR ISSUES!

PLEASE SEND ME YOUR PHONE NUMBER SO WE CAN TALK ALL DETAILS OVER THE PHONE.

I'm looking forward to hear from you soon.

Most likely you will not make money off that specific cruiser..

Just Sayin..

I think the only ones that came from the factory with a chrome bezel were late model 81+ years?

Turns out it's a scam. hahaa

Hi,

Due to the high volume of internet scams, I give you the chance to receive the car at your home address BEFORE i receive my money for it. I appreciate your interest but I want to let you know that the car is located in Croatia. I purchased the car in US and I moved to Europe, in Croatia the law is different recording the registration of a vehicle that is outside of Europe, it is expensive and difficult to register this car in Croatia, this is the reason of selling. Instead of letting it sit in the garage I've decided to sell it at low price.
I can ship the car to you, also I can be responsible for the transport cost and you'll pay after inspection. The car looks and runs fantastic! Within 19 days you will get the car and you will have a period of 2 days to inspect the car and when the inspection period ends, if everything is fine you can make the payment.
CLEAN TITLE IN HAND, NO LIENS OR ISSUES!

PLEASE SEND ME YOUR PHONE NUMBER SO WE CAN TALK ALL DETAILS OVER THE PHONE.

I'm looking forward to hear from you soon.

Just curious, what kind of scam is this ? It seems no money changes hands until the vehicle is in your hands. Who gains ?

No doubt; I believe ya on that. My bar is to be able get out from under the vehicle +/- a couple grand should I have to
Most likely you will not make money off that specific cruiser..

Just Sayin..

Awesome. Didn't know that!
I think the only ones that came from the factory with a chrome bezel were late model 81+ years?

Google it! It's fairly common on Craigslist.
Just curious, what kind of scam is this ? It seems no money changes hands until the vehicle is in your hands. Who gains ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom