torque 04 asparagus KNUCKLE ARM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I believe he's from Chile looking at his past posts in the diesel section. Sounds like google translate gone wrong.

Not sure how they call it in Mexico, I'm panamenian
The guy translated straight from spanish, that´s how we call them studs here...that being said...métele 36 libras y un poco de locktite y ya vas tranquilo, o los cambias por tornillos esos pernos y le pones sus arandelas y le metes 71 libras, igual con locktite

Porque cambiar años de ingeniería de Toyota .?

Not saying this is the same thing as knuckle studs, but when my shop used ARP head and main bearing studs. The ARP instructions said to first chase the block threads with a tap to clean all the threads, flush the holes with brake cleaner, then blow dry with compressed air. Next it said to place a few drops of red lock tight on the studs threads, then torque those studs into the block using ONLY 15 foot pounds of torque. Per the ARP instructions, all the stretch and load is applied to the stud once it's nut is torqued to spec.

many thanks answers, I am from Chile almost had an accident, attached photo of the fault, I bought all parts in usa, I need asparagus torque.

Excuse the English

Thank you very much

KNUCKLE ARM.png

KNUCKLE ARM1.png

According to information I have, The torque for the STUD is 49Nm or roughly 36ft-lbs
The torque for the NUT is 123Nm or roughly 91ft-lbs.
I know That is different than the FSM, but it also came from a solid source.

FINALLY!!!!!!!!

I am VINDICATED!!!

I torqued the knuckle studs into the knuckle ball at 40 LB-FT (

Per @Golgo13 , install them using 36 LB-FT (53.57 kg/m) for the STUD (asparagus)

Clean the interior of the ball with BrakeKleen (or equal)
Clean the threads of each STUD HOLE with BrakeKleen.
Place 1-2 drops of RED Locktite on each stud.
Thread each stud in as far as possible by hand.
Torque each stud to 36 LB-FT (53.57 kg/m) (I used the double-nut method so I did not shear off the tip of the stud.)
Make sure all parts to be installed are CLEAN and oil-free.
Install the lower steering arm, making sure to align the bearings properly.
Install the cone washers and nuts.
Install the nuts and torque to 71 LB-FT (105.66 kg/m) (You CAN place 2 drops of Blue Locktite on each stud threads before installing the nut if you want. Some say NOt to.)
Using a SOFT-FACE hammer, strike the bottom of the steering arm as you tighten the studs in order to make sure the arm is completely seated.

I used RED Locktite and torque the studs to set them and keep them in place so they do NOT rotate while installing the nuts, causing a loss in friction. This is MY opinion and others will (and have) disagree with me on this. My studs have not loosened in 45K miles I feel safe while driving in the mall parking lots.

Leonardo, I'd amend @BILT4ME 's instructions to torque the nuts to 91ft-lbs instead of 71ft-lbs.

hope this helps

I once bought machinery from Spain and had to have the Bill of Materials translated. A (flange) stud with 2 nuts was translated as asparagus with two nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom