94 PAIR removal update (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hope this is not a waste of space. I get a lot of help from here and don't feel I contribute much so hopefully someone will appreciate this. I have a 94 with EGR and PAIR. About two weeks ago I removed the PAIR system. I did a very simple job of just unbolting everything. Plugged the big intake hose on the air cleaner. Plugged the little hard vac line on the head with a screw and FIPG screwed in a short section on vac line. Then I moved my O2 sensors to the new openings that were created by removing the PAIR system. This was my main reason for removing the PAIR. I wanted to keep the O2 plugs cleaner and out from behind the rear wheel. I then used OEM Toyota block off plates and gaskets to fill the O2 holes near the cat. I cant remember the part number but they are in some other posts. Only slight snafu was that I rounded a few threads on one of the exhaust studs holding in the PAIR system and had to clean them up with a die. Just use some care removing them.

I didn't pull the EGR fuse because I wanted to see what it did. No codes at all in the last two weeks. It did idle low at first around 400 but really smooth and no codes. After a few days it returned to normal. Now idles around 650 just like normal. At this time no problems. Hope someone can use this info.

It may, or may not, matter but there is a possibility that the sensors may not like the new environment. They will be running "hotter" than they do in their normal location.

Any long term info about this? Would it cause premature failure of the O2? I have seem them even closer to the heads in other cars or turbos that get crazy hot. I know this is not scientific but just my thoughts. But if you have any more info I do respect your opinion. Do you think it is a bad idea to relocate them or just something to keep in mind when relocating them?

I have no hard evidence. I am basing my observation on the fact that these sensors are downstream some distance from the manifolds. I am not a design engineer so I do not know if there are different characteristics based on the location of the sensor(s). It could go either way. This particular set up may be "dumb enough" to not know the difference.....Maybe. Some 1FZ-powered vehicles sent to the middle east did not have cats or PAIR. It would be interesting to know where those vehicles have their sensors mounted.

That would be indicitive of no short term issues. It might be just dandy.

Cdan thanks for the info. I hope I didn't come across as challenging you or anything. I don't know many others with your knowledge base of the 80 so I do appreciate your input.

I did this two years ago(PAIR removal, O2 sensor relocate, and also EGR delete, exhaust inside frame rail, 249,000 mile original sensors). Also no difference in performance and been running fine ever since.
Matt

That certainly moves the goal posts further apart.

Cdan thanks for the info. I hope I didn't come across as challenging you or anything. I don't know many others with your knowledge base of the 80 so I do appreciate your input.

Very valid questions. And as you can see others have chimed in to tell us that they have done this and are, in at least one case, a couple years down the road without issues.

Based on that I would say my cautionary note is on the very conservative side. I must also admit that in my experience Toyota does things for very specific reasons and I am usually not inclined to monkey with their configurations without careful thought.

I'm in the process of relocating my new, 4th set of O2 sensors as I haven't had good longevity of the sensors in the past. My were originally replaced at 25k during the Toyota recall (no codes at the time), again somewhere between 82K and 100K I don't remember exactly with occasional codes but poor performance also verified by my lazy A/F gauge.

I would think that survival of the O2 sensor itself would not be an issue or be any worse than before. The difference in location may have an impact on the signal sent back to the ECM, modifying the A/F ratio and catalytic converter performance. Here in Nashville we have a mandatory idle smog test annually so it will be interesting to see a comparison to the figures for previous tests. The levels have always been consistent and on the low side of the limits.

Mine have been in the PAIR ports for over 20,000 miles. They seem to not mind.

Any (even slight) fuel mileage changes if logged long term before/after doing this. That should show an actual air/fuel change.

Probably already somewhere in the bowels of this forum, but this thread is useless without photos! (Or at least I would like to see the system without the pair...

I hope this is not a waste of space. I get a lot of help from here and don't feel I contribute much so hopefully someone will appreciate this. I have a 94 with EGR and PAIR. About two weeks ago I removed the PAIR system. I did a very simple job of just unbolting everything. Plugged the big intake hose on the air cleaner. Plugged the little hard vac line on the head with a screw and FIPG screwed in a short section on vac line. Then I moved my O2 sensors to the new openings that were created by removing the PAIR system. This was my main reason for removing the PAIR. I wanted to keep the O2 plugs cleaner and out from behind the rear wheel. I then used OEM Toyota block off plates and gaskets to fill the O2 holes near the cat. I cant remember the part number but they are in some other posts. Only slight snafu was that I rounded a few threads on one of the exhaust studs holding in the PAIR system and had to clean them up with a die. Just use some care removing them.

I didn't pull the EGR fuse because I wanted to see what it did. No codes at all in the last two weeks. It did idle low at first around 400 but really smooth and no codes. After a few days it returned to normal. Now idles around 650 just like normal. At this time no problems. Hope someone can use this info.

Dose anybody have the OEM Toyota O2 sensor block off plates and gaskets part number mentioned?

Dose anybody have the OEM Toyota O2 sensor block off plates and gaskets part number mentioned?
I dont know it. That is the problem and benefit of working with knowledgeable parts guys. I just call them ip and ask for stuff and it shows up.

That includes the oem part that plugs into the egr for a egr delete to avoid cel. Alos things like the the extended brake lines i have that are oem toyota.

Sometimes the stuff is not even a LC part. I think the longer brakelines i have are Tocoma lines.

Knowledgeable parts guys??

Yap is known these are not LC80 parts, I can find the any part number of my Pigi using the catalog EPC and VIN No.

In any case, calling to these guys in the USA won't work for me there is 10 hours difference and to call them, I will have to fight with wife no1 and wife no2 that are blocking the tent exit because they are afraid I will bring young wife3, after that I will have to push the sleeping camels and then I will have to kick the donkey which is standing in the only place where I have a satellite phone reception near the tent

Problem :(

I didnt mean anything rud by that. Just that working with sam or onur they often know what other non standard parts from othe toyotas fit. They have done all the leg work for me. That is the customer service i am happy to pay for.

I didnt mean anything rud by that. Just that working with sam or onur they often know what other non standard parts from othe toyotas fit. They have done all the leg work for me. That is the customer service i am happy to pay for.

I was joking, thank you, I already have 3 wives, your answer was not rude, it was ok, but it's easy for an Israeli to just go to Toyota and get it, then to bring it from USA but for this for that I need the part #

Plate, 17148-41010 (original application 1988 YR3 van).

Gasket, 17376-66010 (same as used by the PAIR tube).

Edited to correct gasket part number typo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom